Possible 2002 C4S Purchase - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 04:08 PM
detour54
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible 2002 C4S Purchase - Questions

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I am looking to purchase an '02/'03 C4S. I recently came across one for sale for at a dealer for $72,995. This '02 6-spd. C4S has roughly 6,500 miles with the following options:

Rear Center Console-Painted Silver
M6A - Black Mats - Porsche lettering
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
P14 - Heated Front Seats Package
P11 - Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor
P04 - Advanced Technic Package
P78 - Sport Seats w/Full Leather Int

I am heading out to see the car sometime early next week. Do you think $73K is a good price, or do you think I could get them down to $69-$70?

I am new to the Porsche world, so I am at a loss as to what I should be asking the dealer regarding this car. For instance, I know to finnd out if the car has been in an accident, which it hasn't. What else should I be looking to ask. Is there anything I should worry about that is specific to the '02 C4S?

I look forward to jumping in with the rest of you Porsche owners soon.

All help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2004, 07:08 PM
C4SxM5
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's mine if your interested:

C4S
Old 06-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

$73K is high. Even $69-70K is on the high side. On the car's options, the only biggie is the Advanced technic package. Everything else is fluff and should not add to the price. Although the sport seats are an option, the full leather interior is standard on the C4S. It does have low mileage, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing. There are several TSB's on the 2002 cars, like a certain VIN run of cars had problems with the 1st and 2nd gear synchro's. If the salesman doesn't know the VIN series with the problems, the service manager should.

Look around. End of lease car's are hitting the market. The car you are talking about seems to be an excellent sample of an excellent car. But, don't be intimidated. Go ahead and ask for a lower price.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Davidmichael
Racer

Seems high. The price is more in line with a car that has tiptronic and litronic headlamps, as well as its other options.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:05 PM
detour54
AutoX

Originally posted by Palting
$73K is high. Even $69-70K is on the high side. On the car's options, the only biggie is the Advanced technic package. Everything else is fluff and should not add to the price. Although the sport seats are an option, the full leather interior is standard on the C4S. It does have low mileage, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing. There are several TSB's on the 2002 cars, like a certain VIN run of cars had problems with the 1st and 2nd gear synchro's. If the salesman doesn't know the VIN series with the problems, the service manager should.

Look around. End of lease car's are hitting the market. The car you are talking about seems to be an excellent sample of an excellent car. But, don't be intimidated. Go ahead and ask for a lower price.
Thank you, Palting. That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. I will see what I can do about checking the VIN with the series of problem ones. Then, if there are no complications from that, I will offer them a lower price. When I was talking on the phone with the dealer, he said, "We feel that this car is competively priced." This to me sounds like BS, if what you are saying is true, which I believe it to be.

Thanks again!
Old 06-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Not to cause any issues here but 69k is a reasonable price for the car. I looked for almost 2 months for a 02 and the prices all around were in the low 70's.

I ended up getting mine with 7800 miles for 69k. The C4S is holding its value well. A few weeks ago the only ones that sold at the Porsche sale were 03's and wholesaled for 75k ish.

I know people say "oh that is high" etc. But go and find one at that price. There are several at 25k miles for mid 60's. The low milers are higher price.

This is my .02 from the real world of just buying one.

Later

PS: Where is the car located?
Old 06-06-2004, 01:30 AM
detour54
AutoX

Thanks for your .02, Tim.

I was thinking that $69k was more along the lines of a reasonable price. $73k just seemed a little too high to me.

I'm curious to know how long ago you acquired your C4S and what options were included with it.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2004, 01:34 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I got it a few weeks ago. It is Red on Black, Sport seats, Deviated seats, 7800 miles. No heated seats.

It was in perfect shape. I got it out of GA.

I love the car.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Just to provide Detour with another point of reference, I was selling my 2002 C4S December of last year for $68,500. My car had 18,000 miles at that time, had the same options, plus it would come with an extra set of 2003 turbo hollow spoke wheels, one extra set of street tires with 70% tread, and a full set of brand new R-compounds. The car Detour is looking at doesn't have those extras and it's now half a year later, but it does have lower mileage and most likely comes with dealer certification. Dollar values on those differences are up to the buyer.

I changed my mind and decided to get a Lotus Elise or Caterham and keep the C4S as well, for the same amount of money it would take to get the GT3.

Last edited by Palting; 06-06-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:38 PM
detour54
AutoX

The C4S is about 2 hours away from me, in Pennsylvania. I hope they can negotiate a deal with me while I am there. If not, then I will continue my search.

Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: Possible 2002 C4S Purchase - Questions