996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

speedlingerie or Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 269 Posts

Just had the Xpel Clear bra put on the Cayenne...

Before:

After:

More Install Pictures

It's all in the install. If you're in the Bay area I recommend...
C S Specialties Mobile Service
San Jose, CA 95148
408-476-3332
cleartecdesigns@yahoo.com
www.clearprotectionproducts.com

They have done all of my cars and at least 7 of my friends. We are all very happy with their work.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Garveyb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I think I am going to go clear bra. I need a great installer in the NYC area, Please Help!
Old 06-04-2004, 04:09 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Thomas at se-ex.com!
Old 06-04-2004, 06:32 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Technik 1 - 212 594 5353

They are on 29th and 10th. They do alot of work with/for Manhattan Motor cars.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

If you're going the clear-bra route, just one more piece of advice. Make sure that in addition to your car being clean, that you've taken the swirls out of the paint before you have the clear-bra applied.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I voted by getting the Xpel clear bra. I didn't want to be bothered with taking a bra off after it rained.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:48 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default clear bra.....NO BRA!

Even with the available materials to cover the front, there are problems associated with all the bras that are available.
In 1971 I had one of the first bras for my 911T. It was vinyl outside and soft cloth inside. I had it on the car for a long time and when I took it off, the paint under it was fine but the area surrounding it looked like s..t.

Since then I have had Ferraris, Porsches,etc and never used another bra. When the front end gets enough little chips, and when you run out of patience to touch up the small one...get it repainted. That way the car always looks the way it's suppose to.

Remember .. a Porsche is like your girlfriend...much better braless!
Old 06-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Garveyb
Intermediate

Thanks for all the fedback and advice. I am going clear bra, 3M material. Found a great installer in Jersey who does all the Ferrari's and P cars from a couple of dealers locally. Went by today to see the work up close and view the shop. I am going to install custom bumper kit, custom wheel openings, hood, fender,mirror kit, side skirts, lights, door sills and door handle cups. Install on Thursday afternoon.

Also having PSE installed (no electronics) on next Monday @ Brandywine, can't wait.

500 miles so far, can't wait for more.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:50 PM
jasoncuk
Instructor

Default Clear bra and detailing

How does this affect detailing the car? Can you damage the coating easily when washing the car? Does washing push dirt under the lip?

Any advice appreciated.

Jason.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:59 PM
mortonmj
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you treat it like the rest of your car. Wax/polish over it. I've had Stongard installed and I'm very happy with it. Many previous posts on the topic with great comparisons of the various templates. Do a search on 3M, x-pel, stongard, etc...

- Michael
Old 06-08-2004, 05:09 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 269 Posts

Yes, treat it like you would the rest of the car. The only thing you can't/shouldn't do is Clay Bar the Clear bra.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:34 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Also consider ArmourFist/ArmourFend in RYE NY. I've twice made the drive there from the Cape Cod area since this is the franchise HQ and their head training tech is there. A Pcar takes about 4 hours for the full coverage (I vote for that) and I've had it done to both the M5(Dark Red) and the 996(Seal Grey).

After road damage you may be able to see "cut" marks but I know they would have been chips were the film not installed. They use a thin film over the headlights so as not to get the heat build up of the thicker films. I had thick film on the BMV and they made me aware of this short coming and changed the film.

Later on you can have the film removed if there are too many cuts. I have 81,000 miles on the M5(including some track days) and I'm not ready to have that done yet. I have purchased and had to use a paint pen for chips(through the paint to the metal) above where the film ends. Not needed on the protected area.

Choose a good installer and get the film. In the long run it is a looks and $$$ saver!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:36 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

I vote for the clear bra as well and I favor the 3M material over Avery and some of the other competitors.

As for an installer, I recommend Alan Seligman 407-927-1900 - he travels and does installs around the world on everything from RV's to exotics. You can see his work at http://www.invincaman.com

I've had this material on the last 7 of our cars and only once have I had to take a piece off and replace it due to damage and that was from a bolt that dropped out of a 951 on the track and bounced up and hit my front bumper. Bumper and paint were undamaged but the clear bra had a nice chunk taken out of it, but not bad all things considered. I decided to replace that one piece only. I've got a few pics of him doing my C4S at http://www.kcrpca.org/pic.asp in the Tech/Concours section, and lots of pics from my old Boxster install at http://www.smiley.net/boxster/ in the Pictorials section.

I can't speak highly enough about Alan's work quality. I've also never had any greying along the edge or stuff getting under the material, and I just wash and wax (Zaino) as I would the rest of the car.

The other item to consider is the pattern, and I've authored a post in the past on a comparison between Invinca-shield, Xpel and Stongard patterns on the 996. In summary, Invinca-shield offers the most protection, but comes in multiple pieces, Xpel is cheapest but offers least protection, Stongard is a single piece nose but harder to install without stretch marks, etc. so there are pluses and minuses to each. I usually go with Invinca-shield because Alan can seam two pieces together to where you virtually can't see the seam, a lesser installer might not do this as well.

It's good that you checked out this shop's work before taking your car there, but you might also want to look at cars done by other installers for comparison purposes, especially if they used different kits so you can get an idea of the coverage of each pattern.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-08-2004, 12:49 PM
FXHottie
Intermediate

Ghost, was the InvinciShield damaged when that pickup truck backed into the front of your Boxster?

I'm guessing that maybe you've had to replace a piece more than once. I suppose you can't reasonably expect plastic film to prevent accident damage, but wouldn't that be nice?
Old 06-08-2004, 03:22 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Only girls wear bras

Quick Reply: speedlingerie or Clear Bra?