Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What do you really think of the changes from 996 to 997?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you really think of the changes from 996 to 997?

I waited a long time for Porsche to upgrade their 911 series. My last one was an '86 Turbo Cab, triple black. After it was car-jacked in '91, I never really wanted to get one of the 90's versions (and life changes at the time made that difficult financially as well). When the 996 came out, I was overjoyed that Porsche made a whole new version for the new millenium. To me, the 996 is the most beautiful car they have ever made. I even like the '99 style Boxsterish headlights, as compared to the newer '02 and above lights. I waited another long while to be able to afford one and just bought my (to me, 'new') '99 coupe. I am so happy with my purchase, words cannot describe.

Now there's a lot of hooplah over the changes for the new 997. I can't believe Porsche would take a step backwards with the retro-looking 993-ish headlights/bumper. Are they appeasing the 993 crowd that never took to the 996 look? And how about that bulbous pregnant ***-end?! Did they need to make that much more room for the bigger power plant? I find it really ugly. The car, to me, looks out of whack. I really do not like those gawd-awful rims or the louvers on the rear deck-lid ~ala East L.A. I will say that I like the interior - the seats look like a nice update.

What were they thinking?!?! It's U.G.L.Y.!

I am totally in love with my '99. It is the most beautiful car I've ever owned!

So what does everyone else think? (996 owners, specifically). Any comments?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:01 PM
TurboMark
Pro

The 997 looks nice but I am happy w/ my 99 C4 ... atleast until I see a 997 on the showroom floor!
Old 06-02-2004, 10:25 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

I am truly in love with My Black Beauty Also - The Targa Hits All points with me - the 997 looks cool from the rear - not too crazy about the nose - I think I have to see it live to make a better decision.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:52 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The 997 has convinced me to keep my 996.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a real hard time liking the 996 headlights. Even before taking delivery I had the headlight bezels painted and ready to install. So, I like the 997 exterior. It's really not a jump in performance though, unless you get the S. The 997 interior eewwww.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:37 AM
Ess_Three
Advanced

As a newbie, I have a dilema..

I have decided that I am after a 996 C4S...but some suggest waiting to get a 997 or 997 S, but after doing as much research as I can, my conclusion is that I just don't like the 997 enough.

I find the 996 wide body to be my favourate of all the 911 shapes (odd maybe) and next to that, the 997 just doesn't measure up.

I'm sure it'll be better to drive...and have a better quality interior...but i don't like it to look at...inside or outside.
I like the interior of the 996...and I like the exterior...and I like how it drives...so I'm happy.

Which is why my local dealer is sourcing me a 996 C4S instead of me waiting for a 997 - which I'll probably still not like when I see it in the metal.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:49 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Guys,

Received the little 997 "teaser" from Porsche by mail this week. In the "teaser" there are some rather good pictures with good focus on new details to the 911 concept. God damn that car appears totally soul-less, yuck!

This is just another "take me from A to B" sports car that any poser should be capable of driving but it's not a sports car. I personally never did like the 996 but got my GT3 CS for it's sheer "roughness" but is also the only 996 I would ever buy!

On the new 997, just look at the out of proportion small tail lights, the heavy looking rims appear to have come off a Korean SUV, disturbing (to the door line) door handles, over designed side mirrors and limousine/Cayenne interior. I do like the new headlights and front bumper though!

I can't understand why Porsche wants to make a car that people start to
perceive as a competitor to the Mercedes sport range? This car will not
sell to enthusiasts, rather posers that valet park!

Very boring and butt ugly!

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:35 AM
Jan_M
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my 996 and am pretty happy with it. Discovering more and more what a great car it is. The 997 can't be worth dynamic wise but

I'd like to see it in the flesh first, especially that interior.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:18 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Perhaps Porsche can hire that Bangle guy away from BMW and really get some styling changes!!!!
Old 06-03-2004, 07:33 AM
sly
Instructor

After reading all of the prior posts on this subject, I must admit that I agree with your observations. The 997's "new look" is very disappointing. It's not nearly as bad as the new 5 and 7 seies from BMW, but that's faint praise. Certainly, there's nothing in the 997 look to incent me to pay $90K for one. My guess is that the 997 headlights will be changed in a couple of years.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:05 AM
SEAL2CC
Intermediate

Like you, Stevo, I like the "Boxster" style headlights on my '01 C4..just extremely happy with everything all around for me..997 what I've seen just doesn't make me want to keep looking at it like mine does..
Old 06-03-2004, 08:41 AM
VORLAND
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the 997 is a step back in an attempt to appeal to Porsche 911 owners that may of migrated to other marquees. I think that the front end does not look ‘aggressive’ enough. It looks to me like a Beetle with a ‘smiley face’. (Notice the bonnet line in a smile shape like Beetle). I would want a performance car to look aggressive and powerful from the front not happy and fun loving!!!!

As for the rear *** – sure it looks good. I like the revamp lights as well. Porsche claim that 80% of the outside or something is re-designed. But to me looks more like it has been modified from the existing 996 panels.

The interior does look more modern and appears to be solid. Not too sure about dressing up the interior with too much carbon, wood or metal effects. Sometimes a somber interior reflect the serious performance car – which has its own pedigree.

Not particularly keen on the 997. But will probably be very successful based upon the 911 heritage.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:42 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

well, i yet to fall in love with the 996, especially my model year (your's too). as for the 997, yes, i think it's an attempt to gain any market share that they might have lost with the introduction of the 996 (i personally think they made too many) and yesteryear's P-car driver. i also think that the 997 design, both interior and exterior, is not one of their better attempts. wheels can be changed, but those wheels are DAMN UGLY!! the rear is a bit too bulbous/raised, i like the front headlights, and i absolutely hate the interior. too modern for me.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:59 AM
BostonMarkC
Racer

I far prefer the 2002+ 996, but I think any 996 represents a nice modern 911. I think that if you want the 993 design, you should get a 993. The 997 just seems a bit confused. As I keep saying, I'll reserve judgement until I see one in person. The 996 interior was due for an update though.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Keyvan
Racer

I can't speak for everybody...but i think people will change their minds when they see the car in person...The ENZO & Z4 don't look that great in pictures but in person they are completely different. I think once people physically see it more people will start to like it.

That said i haven't seen it in person and can't really decide.

I can say that so far I really like the back. I like how the exhaust is surrounded by the rear bumpber and not sticking out below it like an after thought. The wider retractable wing & the LED brake lights really bring it to the present.

Quick Reply: What do you really think of the changes from 996 to 997?