Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What do you really think of the changes from 996 to 997?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 08:53 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I saw the car today at the dealer ...
You saw a 997 at a dealer today???? Real or photo? If there is one around, I'd like to know where.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:49 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Thumbs up

I think the 997 looks terrific and will undoubtedly be a spectacular automobile. I just hope with all the 996 carry-over technology they have fixed 3 seemingly minor but glaring faults:

1) No separate lock & unlock buttons on the remote.
2) No tilt wheel.
3) A rear wiper that stays lifted and doesn't drop on your paint when you look at it wrong!
Old 06-04-2004, 09:58 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pretty ironic how it's the same people that Porsche woo'd away from MB and Lexus with the 996 are the same people complaining about the 997 looking too much like a 911.

Porsche also realized that these same people have very little brand loyalty, especially to Porsche - whatever's the "coolest" thing at the moment they will buy (hence the crap re-sale values on 996s) - so just having a new model will appease them. Just watch, you'll come around, too. Porsche also figure, if these people are gonna buy their new models anyway, might as well try to win back some of the old guard and improve brand image while they're at it.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

I beg your pardon... I've never owned a Lexus nor a MB, for that matter. I have been waiting a long time for Porsche to update their 911 since my '86 turbo cab was stolen in '91 (in Los Angeles - your town). I never really liked the 993's. Porsche finally did it in '99 with the introduction of the 996 and I fell in love with that model. It's taken me until now to be able to find the time and the $$ to own one. I'm not exactly some luxury car switch-over looking for some trend in my ride.

So as far as the posters above that mentioned that they didn't like the 997 for whatever reason, where did you get the idea that they (including myself) are all former Lexus/MB owners that have been woo'ed to a lux car with more sport? It just feels a little insulting. I fell in love with Porsches at age 16 getting to drive my boss' brand new '82 928 every Fri. eve after washing it. It was the start of a life-long love affair.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:25 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jcnesq
You saw a 997 at a dealer today???? Real or photo? If there is one around, I'd like to know where.
Real. Dealers warehouse in Hong Kong.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:43 AM
sly
Instructor

It's pretty ironic how it's the same people that Porsche woo'd away from MB and Lexus with the 996 are the same people complaining about the 997 looking too much like a 911.

My complaint isn't that the 997 looks too much like a 993 because it just so happens that I love the look of the 993. My complaint is that the 997 looks too much like a VW beetle. Side by side in photos these two cars look like twins.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:25 PM
ylshih
Advanced

Originally posted by Stevo'99
So as far as the posters above that mentioned that they didn't like the 997 for whatever reason, where did you get the idea that they (including myself) are all former Lexus/MB owners that have been woo'ed to a lux car with more sport?
I'm with you. My last Porsche is an '86 Targa and I was seriously considering the '86 Cab w/ Turbo-look that year until my daughter (then 1 year old) starting screaming non-stop when we test drove the car with her and the top down (she was in the high wind buffet zone of the car with the top down). Instead I went with the Targa to get the open air feel but better family peace.

This year I decided it was time for a 996 TT Cab and placed an order in January. Then I was on pins & needles as spy photos & leaks about the 997 came out over the last 2-3 months. Should I wait till another 2-3 years for a 997 Cab or TT Cab? Would the 997 be better value, look better, have more performance, etc? When the camouflage came off, I wavered - should I take delivery or not. But after spending hours looking at the photos, here are my conclusions:

1) The 997 front does look more retro, but much as I'm a long term fan, I don't need retro, I already own retro and I plan on keeping it (the 993 really didn't do much for me). I want the 911 style to move forward while keeping the essential spirit, which has to do with the best performance and handling possible in a car that you can live with day & night - not round headlights. I think those who complained about the front were complaining more about being unable to distinguish the front from a Boxster, that doesn't have to mean going back to a 993.

2) The 997 butt is a reflection of the trend to obesity worldwide. I see it as more fat not more muscular. Also the reduction in grill slots is probably to maintain proportion of the slats with the increased butt, but it ends up looking less refined. Finally, when I saw the leaks of the 997 Cab, that butt looked even more accentuated and ruined the profile lines for me.

3) The increased width is better looking than the plain 996, but I'm comparing against the 996 TT which already has the wide body.

4) The interior/dash of the 997 is different, but not necessarily an improvement over the 996. I found myself agreeing with another thread where it was pointed out that the interior shapes of the 997 were a mix of rectangles & curves, whereas the 996 was more consistently curves. I think the styling of the interior dash is a better fit with the 996 exterior.

5) I'm not a huge fan of the 996 steering wheel, but the new ones are ugly.

Result - I took delivery of my 996 TT Cab yesterday.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Heh-heh-heh. It's the 993 vs 996 all over again .

Anyway, what I like best is the adjustable suspension. You can go from regular to sport. I wonder if they will have sport to super-sport/track?
Old 06-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Stevo'99
Three Wheelin'

Those kinds of improvements are interesting - without having to spend on an aftermarket suspension system. I'm surprised they aren't coming up with better power numbers with the much larger engine. Does it weigh that much more?
Old 06-06-2004, 06:07 PM
RCD
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a generalist, ignorant statement, to which several others have already responded. I have never owned a MB or driven a Lexus regularly (though my wife does drive a Lexus LX470). My daily driver has been a 911 of some variant since 1996, and I currently drive a 996. Let's face it - the 911 has slowly been evolving into a more refined, comfortable driving car since the 1970's. Frankly, the changes from the 3.2 911s to the 964 and 993 (power steering!!!, softer suspensions, better a/c, etc.) were a much greater impact to the driver than was the 993 to 996 change.

I love my 996, as I have my other 911s. I don't yet love the 997, and while I might eventually, it has nothing to do with Mercedes or Lexus.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:20 PM
TurboMark
Pro

I love my 996 (and I am a past and present MB owner).

It will be interesting to see if 996 owners will hang on to the love for the 996 (when the 997 comes out) the way the 993 owners held onto the love of their cars (when the 996 was introduced).

Time will tell but I cant wait to see a live 997!
Old 06-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Lets face it, they can't do that much styling wise to the shape of the 911 yet still call it a 911. Thats what makes it so great to have any model year of the 911. I saw a mid eighties Carrera on the road today and it still looked amazing. I personally like that Porsche doesn't just change things for the sake of change. I can keep my current Porsche lineup and not worry about trying to keep up with the changes. There will always be faster models. I find that I don't need to keep up anymore. I am just happy when I get into my C2, Boxster S, or for a special treat the GT3. That should hold me over for at least half a decade anyway!
Old 06-07-2004, 04:36 AM
ubergeek
Instructor

I guess some of p-car owners have such strong brand loyalty. I really could care less about the badge or the brand. I buy what I like. I bought SLK because I thought the retractable hardtop was cool back then. I bought 996 because I like how it drove not because it was a porsche. IMHO, people should buy what they like not just based on brands or MYs for that matter. Who cares about what other people think? It is your money and the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder :-)
Old 06-07-2004, 07:44 AM
sly
Instructor

Who cares about what other people think?

You would be surprised how many people buy a car because of the prestige of that brand, whether they will admit it or not. For example, how many wealthy professionals would be buying 911s if new ones sold for $35K? When you buy buy a new $90K Porsche, you are telling the world that you are successful.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:07 AM
houldsworth1
Racer

I'm with you Ubergeek! I am taking delivery of my first Porsche later this week and I love the way the car looks and feels. What I am not going to enjoy is that a lot of people - particulalry some of my inlaws - who will think that I bought the car because of the badge. I alsomost want to cover the badge over and call it a Skoda! Heck! - it might even lower the insurance premiums if I did that :-)

Quick Reply: What do you really think of the changes from 996 to 997?