Sponsored by:

Turbo Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 02:02 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

J Steven:

The pics certainly make my car look like a 4x4, but I think it's an illusion created by my uneven driveway. My blacktop slopes down from back to front, so the front of the car looks very, very high. Also, in the pic that you posted, I was sitting down, which I beleive accentuates the height of the car. From a standing position, the front end looks pretty close to the ground. Basically, my pics suck-- the car and the turbo bumper look a lot better in person. I'm thrilled with the new nose and kskirts-- the car looks 100x more aggressive.

Having said that, my 996 has the stock suspension, which I think is way too high. I plan to upgrade to the x74 sometime soon.

Gary
Old 06-02-2004, 02:05 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

6speedonline.com

great 996 forum. very good classified section.

you'll see lots of people here posting over there as well.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I've noticed that the 02 and newer cars sit a tad higher then 99-01's. I have done a side by side comparison with mine and a friends 02 Cab
Old 02-24-2007, 09:28 AM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found several threads about turbo front bumpers, and even this great "how to" thread. Could someone please clarify if there are any additional issues, fitment, extra parts, etc., for the pre '02 cars?

thanks!

Last edited by pchak; 02-24-2007 at 09:29 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-24-2007, 10:27 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pchak
I've found several threads about turbo front bumpers, and even this great "how to" thread. Could someone please clarify if there are any additional issues, fitment, extra parts, etc., for the pre '02 cars?

thanks!
There is a lot of additional issues, fitment, extra parts, etc. for the pre '02 cars!! The shape of the 1998-2001 cars' headlights are different so the OEM Turbo bumper will NOT fit. Do a search on this site on "facelift" or "face lift" and you will see a bunch of threads by people who replaced the headlights and fenders on their 1998-2001 cars in onder to fit the OEM Turbo bumper.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:32 AM
pchak
Pro

thanks-I saw a number of "facelift" threads, but they seemed to be geared toward doing the +02 upgrade. I'll dig deeper.

While I'm not really up for a full "areo-look, I Love those big nostrils!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:45 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pchak
thanks-I saw a number of "facelift" threads, but they seemed to be geared toward doing the +02 upgrade. I'll dig deeper.

While I'm not really up for a full "areo-look, I Love those big nostrils!
If you have a pre-02 (a.k.a. pre-facelift) car then you have to convert your headlights and fenders to be able to fit the OEM Turbo bumper. Now there are several companies (e.g. MAShaw and NR Auto) that sell aftermarket "Turbo-look" bumpers -- essentially a bumper that looks like the OEM Turbo bumper but made to acommodate the older style headlights.

Be careful when choosing aftermarket bumpers though. Most of them are made from fiberglass and fiberglass does not hold up against hits as well as the OEM polyurethane bumpers. You may also have some fitment issues with fiberglass bumpers because they are less flexible compared to polyurethane bumpers.

I realize it is quite pricey but I have been very happy with my RUF RGT bumper. It is made from polyurethane like the factory bumper and it comes with bigger intakes and custom duct work to aid in brake cooling in addition to providing more downforce. You should check it out at www.rufautocentre.com.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:55 AM
pchak
Pro

One thing that I've picked up in my thread research is about the fiberglass issue. I'll make sure that I avoid those. Thanks again for the clarification on the OEM, and additional head's up!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:06 AM
delirium
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have thought that the Turbo bumper would fit right up to a 2002+ 996 C2 because the 40th anniv. editions have the turbo bumper on them... ?

Or is the anniv edition bumper slightly different from the turbo bumper?

Quick Reply: Turbo Front Bumper