996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Stripped a seat bolt :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 09:22 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Cannot access the other end of the bolt from under the car. It's bolted to the seat base frame, a weldment that is then attached to the floor.
The following users liked this post:
wdb (10-29-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 10:01 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben8jam
......Yes, I was wondering the same. Guess I'll be going back up on the lift (thankful for the Quickjack now). I am nervous about torching anything under there, but maybe worse comes to worse I can drill from bottom.
Would a soldering iron tip provide enough heat?
Old 10-29-2023, 11:01 PM
allcool
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 127 Posts

Have you tried tig welding a large nut to whats left..?
Old 10-29-2023, 11:15 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by allcool
Have you tried tig welding a large nut to whats left..?
This is the only way to get it out at this point. I would not drill it if it were me. Sounds like with the slot cut in it that would be difficult anyway.

Is there a reason you haven't taken it to someone with a welder?
allcool (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 01:41 AM
Ben8jam
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hbdunn
This is the only way to get it out at this point. I would not drill it if it were me. Sounds like with the slot cut in it that would be difficult anyway.

Is there a reason you haven't taken it to someone with a welder?
Cause I thought with all the suggestions I could get it out. I have a friend with a welder who DIYs on cars, so I'm going to call him. Or go find a shop... can't believe how much effort this has taken.
Old 10-30-2023, 03:55 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Well i waited 12 hrs for the JB weld to cure, not the 15-18 recommended and I was just curious how hard it was, and did a quick test, and it came right off the bolt with very little force... Is that last 3-5 hrs make or break for this stuff? (I got the steel reinforced highest strength stuff.)

Yes - you didn't let the JB cure. This trick will work - I used it myself to get a rounded drain pan plug out. When you goop up the JB - expect the cure time to take longer because the JB is piled up and the stuff in the center will remain softer, longer. It's meant to be applied as if you're welding something together in small patches. JB weld your socket on and let it sit all week and then try next weekend. Make sure that MFer is dry.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:25 PM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Yes - you didn't let the JB cure. This trick will work - I used it myself to get a rounded drain pan plug out. When you goop up the JB - expect the cure time to take longer because the JB is piled up and the stuff in the center will remain softer, longer. It's meant to be applied as if you're welding something together in small patches. JB weld your socket on and let it sit all week and then try next weekend. Make sure that MFer is dry.
My personal 2-cents is that I would be surprised if JB weld works. It is hard, and bonds strongly, but it is brittle. If you've ever stressed JB to failure, it cracks through and sheers off. The bond is stronger than the internal structure of the JB weld.

But I hope, for you, that I'm wrong. Good luck!
I think Welding is in your future.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:45 PM
Ben8jam
Racer

Originally Posted by jdbornem
My personal 2-cents is that I would be surprised if JB weld works. It is hard, and bonds strongly, but it is brittle. If you've ever stressed JB to failure, it cracks through and sheers off. The bond is stronger than the internal structure of the JB weld.

But I hope, for you, that I'm wrong. Good luck!
I think Welding is in your future.
My friend with the welder said he'd be potentially worried about catching the surrounding carpet on fire or damaging the back of the drivers seat. I get his concerns, don't want to mess up someone's interior as a favor.
Old 10-30-2023, 07:57 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,715 Posts

My friend with the welder said he'd be potentially worried about catching the surrounding carpet on fire or damaging the back of the drivers seat. I get his concerns, don't want to mess up someone's interior as a favor.

That should be a real concern for a mig welder. A tig welder is a lot more controlable and should not splatter. I would still cover just about eveything in wet towels.
wdb (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 08:01 PM
allcool
Racer

As with all welding jobs, take precautions to protect surrounding areas...

If you're worried,,, I'd wrap a wet towel or 2 around the carpet/seat/etc, in question, and maybe have a helper hold or place a piece of sheet metal as a shield if needed.

But for an experienced welder its a fast job to fill up the nut with good penetration at the base of the nut/bolt.... Maybe don't let the bolt cool all the way before fitting a tight socket on the nut squarely applying torque...

jmo
Old 10-30-2023, 08:02 PM
allcool
Racer

You beat me to it DJ...lol
Old 10-30-2023, 08:09 PM
scissorfighter
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well @Ben8jam , I don’t envy you. I do wish you the best of luck though. Just chiming in to say this is my favorite thread on rennlist in a while. It’s a great team effort on a difficult adventure with an as-yet-to-be-revealed mystery ending! Keep going, you can do it!

Last edited by scissorfighter; 10-30-2023 at 08:10 PM.
hardtailer (10-31-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 05:10 PM
Gary12000
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

well id say the car is totaled lol i kid i kid, worst case you put the seat in with what you have it will likley never make a difference, but i know when i found my seat bolt that was pretty marred from the indy shop that just had it out, i was like oh crap, they likely put them in with a 3/8inch impact to tighten them, i dont know that but it was in pretty common use make in the day when i worked at a pontiac dealer, i think they had what was called a butterfly impact back then for the shape of it, they for sure would have used a 3/8 air wrench back in the day, these days its all battery tools.. but to be fair from the factory and after 25 years or so, they are likely properly tight.

OK so with my worst personal vehichle nightmare this is what happened I had a Yamaha Star Stratoliner... and changed mirrors to after market, they were red loctite installed but i didn't know this, i snapped the second one off clean.. hmmmm drilled out the center and snapped off an easy out, re-drilled slightly off center second easy out, used heat cycles and it finally came out after many heat cycles... unfortunately i had damaged some of the threads on one side but i had enough good material left to install the new mirror with Blue loctitie what a fricken nightmare i had and of course you are in the middle of one as i write.

If you resort to drilling out what remains of the bolt there are a few things to be aware of, get a proper center punch and hit a pilot spot as perfectly center of the stud as you are able, use a very small drill at first a 16th or an eighth of an inch, just to get things started and in the center, before you move up in size you may have an opportunity to re-center with the next biggest drill, the actual drilling does produce a good amount of heat that in itself my help with the thread corrosion for want of a better word.. use lube and lots of it.. regular 3m oil or engine oil keep applying during the drilling process it will stop you bit from going blunt. NOTE: if the bolt itself is of a hardened material you may need a special drill bit to successfully drill the bolt material out. NOTE 2: make sure you drill straight or you will blow out the side and damage the threads. watch lots of you tube videos before you get started for tips...

I hope you try the weld method first a decent independent mechanic or machine shop could probably weld on a new bolt head in the form of a nut in less than 15 mins..

Old 01-05-2024, 05:49 PM
firewalkwithme
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What did you end up doing to solve this?
Old 01-05-2024, 07:29 PM
Ben8jam
Racer

Originally Posted by firewalkwithme
What did you end up doing to solve this?
Very funny timing. I literally just got back from my indy mechanic who out of niceness tried to extract it for me using his much stronger extraction sockets and a hammer. No go. It just kept breaking bits of the bolt head off.

He said he would use a grinder (he showed me some very nice grinder bits), get the head off. Take the seat and rail out. Then drill down into the bolt and remove it. He said if he wanted me to do it, I would have to drop car off for that, which is totally fair. It was really nice of him to stop what he was doing and even try.

So I think i will look into a grinder and try and do that. I have to admit, I stupid didn't even think that once the bold head was off, I could remove the entire seat and have a lot more room to work with.
996-CAB (01-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Stripped a seat bolt :(