Sponsored by:

Need Help With Wiring Android Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 01:38 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Need Help With Wiring Android Head Unit

Everything works in the Android head unit I bought, but I did have to figure out the wiring situation on my own. Problem I am having is that the back of the unit heats up very quickly even if the unit is turned off. It heats up to the point that it is almost hot enough to burn skin (It least that is what it feels like).

It is not the speakers or anything else, as I only have the 16 pin ISO power plug connected - nothing else. SO I have it narrowed down to that plug at least. But I still can't figure out why it is heating up like that. My wiring seems ok. Hoping someone on here can tell me what I am doing wrong?

The part that gets really hot is right above the power plug on the right. The rest of the back is nice and cool. Just that one part.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:55 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Mine is a 99, but no Bose and no MOST. I have 6 factory speakers.

The wiring that I did is:

Porsche 8 pin power plug (A) Android ISO 16 pin plug
pin 8 to pin 1
pin 7 to pin 3
pin 6 to pin 4
pin 5 to pin 8 (I disconnected this to see if it was my problem, but nope)
pin 4 to pin 2
pin 3 not used
pin 2 not used
pin 1 to pin 5 (for reversing camera - works)

Suggestions? This getting really hot thing is concerning.

Old 08-30-2023, 02:02 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

This is the part that heats up. Heats up fast, even though the unit is in sleep mode. No internal cooling fan.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:48 AM
tommelton
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 90 Posts

That looks like a heat sink for an internal amplifier. Sounds like the unit is constantly powered up.

-Tom
Old 08-30-2023, 11:42 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tommelton
That looks like a heat sink for an internal amplifier. Sounds like the unit is constantly powered up.

-Tom
Wow ... it is supposed to get that hot? Geez ... it just doesn't seem right. Should it heat up so fast? It heats up when the car is on right away, even with the unit off.

Last edited by jim010; 08-30-2023 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:21 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Update - I pulled out all the pins except for ground, ACC and battery+. That area I circled still heats up almost instantly to the point of not being able to touch.

Help!
Old 08-30-2023, 10:06 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 257 Posts

Faulty Head Unit? Try contacting HU manufacture support?
Old 08-30-2023, 10:15 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sanyata
Faulty Head Unit? Try contacting HU manufacture support?
Possibly. I just wanted to wait on others to chime in. I have read that Androids get hot, but I have no idea if it is this quick or my wiring is missing something.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:55 PM
fazm
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I can't help. I'm using the RCA out. I do remember feeling some heat while I was testing it, but nothing really stood out.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:37 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

What brand?? (just curious..)
Old 08-31-2023, 05:08 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
What brand?? (just curious..)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...738%21im%21%21

And, yes, I am aware that you get what you pay for. Others have bought this unit with no issues - or just didn't notice that it runs hot - or I messed up somewhere - or it is faulty and should be sent back. That is what I need to figure out. Apparently Android processors do run hot, but I don't like the idea of something this hot in my dash. I asked another member to check the back of theirs and see if theirs runs hot too. I just want to know if they are all like this or just mine.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:59 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Have you ever gotten to the point the unit is up and powered on?

Buried in the things firmware should be some power options, (I'm guessing here just based on other android appliances)

Its possible if its never 100% booted, its in screen saver not sleep mode, the CPU can be spinning away just
waiting for you to answer a question, there are also usually power saving options in the setup.

Have you tried connecting ground and teh "hot at all times" wire without the "ignition key on" wire connected? I Wasn't sure reading above..
You might put a voltmeter on the key activated wire with ignition off and see if there is any leakage, the Porsche ECU does all kinds of stuff
when the car is in idle mode.. It may be putting just enough V and A down that wire to trigger the unit partially on, but not trigger full power up.
Especially if your using the original key on wire.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:44 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Have you ever gotten to the point the unit is up and powered on?

Buried in the things firmware should be some power options, (I'm guessing here just based on other android appliances)

Its possible if its never 100% booted, its in screen saver not sleep mode, the CPU can be spinning away just
waiting for you to answer a question, there are also usually power saving options in the setup.

Have you tried connecting ground and teh "hot at all times" wire without the "ignition key on" wire connected? I Wasn't sure reading above..
You might put a voltmeter on the key activated wire with ignition off and see if there is any leakage, the Porsche ECU does all kinds of stuff
when the car is in idle mode.. It may be putting just enough V and A down that wire to trigger the unit partially on, but not trigger full power up.
Especially if your using the original key on wire.
Oh yes, I have everything working. GPS, speakers, apps etc ... all there. Boots up no problem. It is the heat issue I don't like. But reading up on computer processors, they run at 45 degrees Celsius at idle and up to as much as 70 degrees Celsius at full load - but that is in a computer or laptop. So Idk. Mine is an 8 core processor.

I did not try the hooking up only ground and power without the ACC. I will try that later today. I was going to run the unit in the car all hooked up, but NOT installed to see how it operates.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:49 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

OHH just thought of another small detail can you see inside and tell if it has a cooling fan on the CPU?
It would be too easy if they didn't connect the fan right or the fan doesnt get power until the systems is totally up,,,

I have a misbehaving laptop doing this to me as I type.. LOL I think the fan is dying.
Old 08-31-2023, 11:31 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

OHH just thought of another small detail can you see inside and tell if it has a cooling fan on the CPU?
It would be too easy if they didn't connect the fan right or the fan doesnt get power until the systems is totally up,,,

I have a misbehaving laptop doing this to me as I type.. LOL I think the fan is dying.
No fan at all! I was thinking of adding a fan, but the part that gets hot has no room for a fan anyway. I could add a fan regardless in the empty space inside. I also thought off attaching a heat sink on the outside on the section that heats up.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Wiring Android Head Unit