996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Driven vs the other assembly lubes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 01:54 AM
P9C
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Driven vs the other assembly lubes?

Hi,

Rant alert.... I originally thought that there might be issues getting parts on timely fashion and the rest of the needed components would be more or less available "off the shelf" but looks like it's the opposite.
I've been trying to get Driven assembly lubes (both Gel and HVL) but the generic availability of Driven products in EU is not that well organized. In US ... Summit Racing has those readily available and that was my natural go-to source as I've been getting quite a few tools from them but turns out there are some export restrictions so I'm back to square one. AAOil in UK is the distributor for Driven products in EU (thanks for Driven support for that tip) but their online store doesn't work in EU and it's possible that they prefer to deal with resellers instead of directly (and it's possible that Gel is not available at all, at least it's not on their online store). Also UK is not part of the EU due to "Brexit" so you have to deal with customs etc. It's possible that at some point in the future I might setup a online store for selected products and looks like Driven would be a perfect candidate - well, let's see. In the mean time...

Anyone using Red Line products? I can easily get those locally (both Assembly Lube and Liquid).

One of the problems is that it might take a couple of months before I can actually start the engine so I'm bit worrying how to lubricate esp. cylinders and piston rings - lubes, greases etc works naturally for other surfaces. Engine oil will probably disappear in a week or so leaving cylinders dry - at least based on some YT videos that are testing different lubes so I would prefer something with higher viscosity. Not sure if that RL Fluid is any good for that. I already have BR40 for break-in so naturally I would like to keep using the same product line.

Last edited by P9C; 07-18-2023 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:57 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,411 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Redline products have been used in race cars for years and i would not hesitate to use them. Although i dont have any experience with there assembly lubes.

If u want the driven product and its available i would be happy to try and figure out how to ups or dhl u a box
Old 07-18-2023, 09:08 AM
P9C
Racer

True - impressive - "Used by many of the best engine builders, engineers, and technicians in Formula 1, GP2, Formula 3, NASCAR, NHRA, and WRC" <- taken from their website

Here's my "shopping cart"
  • GP-1 Assembly Gel, 1oz Packet (4)
  • HVL High Viscosity Lubricant - 8 oz bottle (1)
  • Total Seal Assembly Lube

Last edited by P9C; 07-18-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2023, 02:46 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,411 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Your list shows in stock at summit for arounrd $60. Not sure the hvl stuff is correct. The number matches other web sites but the pic is different. If its wrong Jegs has it.

Like i said, i can get it and attempt to ship if needed.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:47 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,783 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I've used the red line assembly lube. Don't like it, too liquid. I prefer Torco MPZ. Seriously in a pinch? Use petroleum jelly. That's all these assembly lubes are, anyway - dyed petroleum jelly.
Old 07-18-2023, 10:19 PM
amargari
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 160 Posts

I know Man In a Garage used Graphogen, https://www.graphogen.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=644920.
Old 07-19-2023, 04:01 AM
P9C
Racer

@De Jeeper PM sent regarding order
Old 07-19-2023, 12:32 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

I have used the redline on engines that get zero break-in time, always had good luck with cams and bearings..

A basic non detergent 30 weight works good for overall protection. I paint the inside of the motor with it for
some rust protections while it's waiting to go in to service. (the non wear surfaces. )

Liquimoly has the same type products as well. I tend to go to the easy source.
Driven is too much effort to get for me and I live in the US..

Quick Reply: Driven vs the other assembly lubes?