Sponsored by:

Installing speakers???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 11:03 PM
chitownbob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing speakers???

Got a quick question for you audio guys. I got a set of MB Quart component speakers. 5.25 for the door and .75 tweeter for the dash. I decided against the increased expense of the 3 way set because I juts want a simple upgrade to the system instead of a fulll custom stereo. My question is how to wire up these after market speakers to the amp since the speakers come with a crossover. From my understanding the stock amp is a 6 channel one. Is this incorrect? If it is 6ch that means each speaker gets its own channel. If that is true, how would I wire up the speakers through the crossover??? Appreciate any help you can give.

Bobby
Old 05-24-2004, 06:35 PM
wet996
Advanced

If the xovers are bi-ampable (I think Quarts are), then you can use a channel for each speaker and the x-over will filter the proper freq to that speaker. I am not sure how the six channel amp is set up since the door speakers are actuall subs - the amp may be only sending the low Hz there and this may no work well with your plans.

I have the same situation and am replacing the amp and speakers (the amp is not a great product and most say to take it out too). I am not an expert so get more advise. Upgrading the 996 audio is a challenge - I have been reading and planning for 2 months now.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Conrado
Instructor

wet996,

Do you know the diagram of the 996 sound ? I´m planning upgrading my system but now I´m willing to change only the speakers. I also have the DSP control unit and have no idea how it works... Does the sound comes from the head unit, passes thru the DSP and goes to the amp or the amp is a control linked directly to the amp ? I have no idea....

Any info is apreciated!

Regards,
Conrado
Old 05-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The amp contains the DSP. I recently replaced mine (kept PCM head) and lost DSP. The DSP controls just no longer show up, still have SDV though.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Conrado
Instructor

Thanks Rob!
Old 05-25-2004, 06:27 PM
wet996
Advanced

I have a pdf for the Hi-Fi system schematic somewhere (might be a url) let me look (its been a while).
Old 05-25-2004, 07:00 PM
wet996
Advanced

I can't find the pdf (have a print out). It identifies the door speakers as "low range" and at 2 ohms so you might need to watch what you replace them with. Also, the front and rear speakers are "high range" and at 4 ohms.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:07 PM
wet996
Advanced

Conrado - the diagram shows the DSP control at the AMP.

I have been investigating this (audio upgrade) for some time - replacing these speakers is not easy. Porsche uses non-standard sizes and there is some customizing required to put new speakers in. The door speakers are probably easiest - however, I think they suffer the most from the weak amp used by Porsche (my opnion). The dash and rears may require cutting and gluing.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:44 PM
wet996
Advanced

Conrado - I see you bought the Pss9 and are looking to sell??? I live in S Florida (if your springs are still there). Let me know if you want to work out a deal!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 11:43 PM
Conrado
Instructor

wet996, do you have DSP ? I was planing on upgrading but didn't wanted to delete this feature. I believe the Focals are the best choice of speakers, but I don't believe they will work with the stock DSP amp...

Regards,
Conrado
Old 05-26-2004, 12:44 AM
wet996
Advanced

The speakers will work with your DSP. If you change the AMP - then the DSP will not work. Focals are a great choice (I have the 165K3 poly kevlars). I have to say that your not going to get the most out of your Focal $$ unless you put some quality power to them (new amp). Makes a huge difference!!! (read other posts on this subject). The Porsche audio (Nokia and Becker) is not up to driving those high-end Focals
Old 05-26-2004, 12:52 AM
wet996
Advanced

I do not have the DSP in the 996 but have a similar feature in my X5. I don't use it that much and personaly would go for quality audio (head unit / amp / speakers - these last two for sure). You can get DSP functions in after market prodcuts - but I would still stay with good quality vs DSP. I see DSP and the 6x40 watt amps on ebay all the time (cheap) if that tells you anything. There's alot of audio expierience on this board - read some of the other posts and you will get a good back ground on this subject.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:07 AM
chitownbob
Racer

What the hell is DSP and do I have it?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Conrado
Instructor

DSP is the Digital Sound Processor and it's a devide with some buttons installed on the console just in front of the gear lever. It has DSP, HI-FI, POP, M1, M2, M3 USER, and other buttons. If you had you'd known it...
Old 05-26-2004, 10:36 AM
chitownbob
Racer

Okay, I don't have DSP then. So the general consensus is that if you want to upgrade the speakers, you have to upgrade the amp. Since the amp has 6 channels (4high,2low) for each speaker a component set with crossover cannot be added to the amp because there is no full range channel and no way to control the filters on the amp. If you upgrade the amp you might as well upgrade the head unit then. Does this statement sound accurate to you all or am I missing something else?

Thanks

Bobby

Quick Reply: Installing speakers???