996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996.2 C2 front member used vs new?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 05:48 PM
Esto
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 996.2 C2 front member used vs new?

Hello fellow 996.2 owners! It's still only months that I've owned my 996.2 C2. I bought it with 138k km's. It was originally a USA market car and found its way to Estonia in 2019. I've begun the process of making small mod's and preventative mechanical upgrades during the 6 months that I've owned the ride. As I'm tall I did the console delete - and absolutely love to the way it turned out. Had the sloppy shifter replaced with the 997 short shifter - and though not buttery smooth - I love it - even with its "clunkiness". My next project was to freshen up the front end - as it was squeaking (very annoying) and a shock absorber was beginning to leak. So I ordered new Bilstein shocks and mostly Meyle front end parts along with Lemforder parts when the Meyle parts were not available. When my day at the shop finally came to be I received a phone call at the end of the day - with the good old we've got good news and we've got bad news message.

It turns out that one of the attachment points in the right side of the front member was cracked. My mechanic said this could lead to a fatal event and as such needs to be replaced. An original porsche part is 1000 euros vs 225 euros for a used part plus 95 for shipping for a grand total of 315 euros. Has anyone here had a similar issue and if so - any advice regarding the new vs used choice. Saving 685 euros would be a huge saving if there was a low degree of risk. But if this is a structural component that is prone to stress fatigue perhaps the extra 685 would ultimately make more sense.

I had some great input when trying to find a air intake snorkel - which I did find via the great suggestions that I received from here. Thanks to all those that shouted out

Here is a snap of the used part that's for sale.

Here is a snap of the used front member.
Old 07-02-2023, 11:46 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Your entire suspension / steering / braking systems are reliant on sub frame structural integrity.

I would not have a problem with replacing with a used one but I would perform as thorough an inspection as possible prior to install.
The following users liked this post:
allcool (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 02:03 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,525 Likes on 1,858 Posts

I agree used is fine with an inspection. That part rarely has an issue unless it has had an impact from object that went under the car or the wheel hit the curbing hard.

Quick Reply: 996.2 C2 front member used vs new?