Sponsored by:

Knocking noise help - front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 10:12 AM
Jayson Thaker
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knocking noise help - front suspension

I've had this rattle that I'd been chasing for a while but was putting it off as it wasn't causing too many issues. It was only audible when driving on uneven surfaces and sounded like clacking on the passenger side (UK). I decided to tackle the issue so I took a look under the car and noticed that my drop links had tears in them. There wasn't any play but as they were in bad shape I'd swapped them out for adjustable ones ( I have KW V3s with shorter than stock DLs). I sized them correctly and test-drove it but it didn't fix the issue.

I then bought the diagonal arm/tuning fork and tried to fit it. I couldn't muscle it out so I took it to an Indy who did it for me. The first hour after the fix the rattle was gone. I thought I'd finally won! But after hitting a few road bumps I started getting a new knocking noise from the offside (driver side) that is really audible when going on road bumps that wasn't there before. Does anyone have any suggestions for this new sound? Indy is booked out till next week so wanted to see if there's something I can look at before I give it to him.
Old 06-15-2023, 11:51 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 172 Posts

top mounts can help a lot of clunks and thunks. there are threads about it... let us know
The following users liked this post:
996-CAB (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 01:03 PM
996-CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 165 Posts

Agree with C Didy. I would look at the top mounts.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:17 PM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 213 Posts

If you replaced the diagonal arm only on the passenger's side front I'd hazard a guess that it is now rhe driver's side diagonal arm.
Is it gone or significantly less when braking ever so slightly when driving over the noise-inducing surface? That indicates diagonal arms in my experience.

Last edited by hardtailer; 06-15-2023 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:17 AM
Jayson Thaker
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've sorted it! Brand new drop link failed at the bottom on the offside that caused a huge racket. The whole thing was moving when I jacked up the car. Replaced it and everything is 100%! Thanks everyone! I'll replace top mounts next as preventative maintenance.
damage98MO (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 07:28 AM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayson Thaker
I've sorted it! Brand new drop link failed at the bottom on the offside that caused a huge racket. The whole thing was moving when I jacked up the car. Replaced it and everything is 100%! Thanks everyone! I'll replace top mounts next as preventative maintenance.
I'm still chasing a thunk at the front drivers side, speed bumps etc set it off. All the arms are new. my Indy swears it's the eibach anti-sway bar. I'm tempted to put the stock one back in and find out.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:00 PM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by damage98MO
I'm still chasing a thunk at the front drivers side, speed bumps etc set it off. All the arms are new. my Indy swears it's the eibach anti-sway bar. I'm tempted to put the stock one back in and find out.
Only when it is fitted wrong I'd say.
Curious to hear what your Indy thinks to be the reason?
Old 06-19-2023, 07:43 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by hardtailer
Only when it is fitted wrong I'd say.
Curious to hear what your Indy thinks to be the reason?
Me as well but everything else has been done except front LCA has some wear, but not enough to cause a thunk. New top mounts didn't solve it.. I'm going to get a second opinion actually. There's a fellow at the local porsche center who's going to drive it, when I can get it to him.
hardtailer (08-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Knocking noise help - front suspension