Sponsored by:

Dashboard power stays engaged after key removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 10:36 PM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 64 Posts
Question Dashboard power stays engaged after key removal

Hello, my key is a bit sticky to remove and insert, you have to jiggle the steering wheel sometimes to get it in our out. It will start and stop the engine.

My problem is, when I remove the key (with it in the farthest left positions possible) the power to the car/dashboard stays engaged and the chime just keeps chiming. The few digital number displays on the gauge cluster, like mileage, will stay on until the battery runs out. When trying to lock with the keyfob it won't because it thinks the car is still engaged.

I'm going to start with the ignition switch, but is there something else I should look at?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2023, 12:08 AM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 730 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by maekwl
Hello, my key is a bit sticky to remove and insert, you have to jiggle the steering wheel sometimes to get it in our out. It will start and stop the engine.

My problem is, when I remove the key (with it in the farthest left positions possible) the power to the car/dashboard stays engaged and the chime just keeps chiming. The few digital number displays on the gauge cluster, like mileage, will stay on until the battery runs out. When trying to lock with the keyfob it won't because it thinks the car is still engaged.

I'm going to start with the ignition switch, but is there something else I should look at?

Thanks!

I would try lubricating it first. I seem to remember on my boxster sometimes pulling the key out and not hearing that click. Like it was gummed up.

Switch is pretty cheap and easy to do.

Last edited by hbdunn; 02-22-2023 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:01 AM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by hbdunn
I would try lubricating it first. I seem to remember on my boxster sometimes pulling the key out and not hearing that click. Like it was gummed up.

Switch is pretty cheap and easy to do.
Thanks. It was leaving a “pin” inside the tumbler up. I had to use a ice pick to push it down.

Quick Reply: Dashboard power stays engaged after key removal