Sponsored by:

Increased Displacement Effects On Fuel Trims

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 08:45 AM
Mdelay
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Increased Displacement Effects On Fuel Trims

I can’t really find any data on this, to keep it simple if displacement is increased, 3.4-3.8, would the fuel trims increase from factory settings?

FRA 1/2- 1.13 1.13

RKAT 1/2- .66 .66

A big thanks to Amargari for posing the question on another thread, just trying maybe get more responses with a better title.

Thanks!!!
Old 02-21-2023, 07:57 PM
amargari
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm not an expert, but I would guess yes. If you are letting in more air, then you need more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio correct.
This is what I believe the FRA and RKAT numbers represent. If I am wrong, please someone correct me.
  • FRA is fuel trim adaptation under load. A value of 1 means that the amount of fuel being introduced by the injector matches what the reference table is expecting when the car is driving (not idling). Anything over 1 means it is adding fuel. Anything under 1 means it is removing fuel.
  • RKAT is the Fuel trim when the engine is at idle. For RKAT you want around “0”. If it is below “0”, the car is running rich at idle and it is taking away fuel in the Idle range. If it is above “0” the car is running lean and it is adding fuel at the idle range.

BTW I have a 4.0 with a GT3 throttle body and here are my numbers. I don't believe that I have a vacuum leak because I smoked tested the engine after installation. I also have brand-new injectors.
RKAT = 2.34 - 2.39
FRA = 1.00 - 1.04
Old 02-21-2023, 08:03 PM
amargari
Racer

Originally Posted by amargari
I'm not an expert, but I would guess yes. If you are letting in more air, then you need more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio correct.
This is what I believe the FRA and RKAT numbers represent. If I am wrong, please someone correct me.
  • FRA is fuel trim adaptation under load. A value of 1 means that the amount of fuel being introduced by the injector matches what the reference table is expecting when the car is driving (not idling). Anything over 1 means it is adding fuel. Anything under 1 means it is removing fuel.
  • RKAT is the Fuel trim when the engine is at idle. For RKAT you want around “0”. If it is below “0”, the car is running rich at idle and it is taking away fuel in the Idle range. If it is above “0” the car is running lean and it is adding fuel at the idle range.

BTW I have a 4.0 with a GT3 throttle body and here are my numbers. I don't believe that I have a vacuum leak because I smoked tested the engine after installation. I also have brand-new injectors.
RKAT = 2.34 - 2.39
FRA = 1.00 - 1.04
@hardtailer pointed out that my hypothesis is wrong on your other thread with the following response:

The MAF will measure the greater amount of air being sucked into the bored-out engine and the DME will inject fuel accordingly. From what I've read on here, the DME can compensate and doesn't require re-calibration of fuel and/or timing maps.
Compensation for increased displacement cannot be done via long term fuel adjustment as that is limited to 3% before a CEL is shown and 3.4->3.8 requires 10% more fuel (on average).

As such and in your case any compensation by the DME points towards either too much air or too much fuel and requires identifying and removing the cause.
​​​​​​​
Old 02-21-2023, 08:31 PM
Mdelay
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, thanks for your response. This thing is kicking my… we’ll you know. Haha
Old 02-21-2023, 08:35 PM
amargari
Racer

Originally Posted by Mdelay
Yes, thanks for your response. This thing is kicking my… we’ll you know. Haha
Your thread has me worrying about my RKAT values in the 2.34 - 2.39 range. I am going to smoke-test the engine again when it warms up a bit outside.