Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Smells after high RPMs + smoke while idling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 10:27 PM
circlewhisper
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smells after high RPMs + smoke while idling.

I don't know anything about cars so forgive me in advance:

I have 2002 996 c2. When I let it run for a few minutes and get to operating temperature, then rev it to 2k RPM I get smoke coming out the exhaust. It's not a big billowing cloud of smoke, but I don't know how much smoke is normal (cars are supposed to have a little smoke coming out of the exhaust right?).

Could someone tell me if I'm worrying about nothing and this is what the exhaust of a healthy car looks like at 2k RPM, or if I need to go the mechanic?

It had been well over a few minutes after startup by this point (operating temp reached). If it's idle there's still smoke, just less of it.

Some other information:
  • It's been less than a thousand miles since my last oil change, and if I measure the oil using the computer cold it's missing 3 bars, and when I warm up the engine first it's missing only one bar.
  • Also whenever I floor it, the car smells like something is burning (oil i guess?). It's a pretty strong smell. Searching this site suggests this is normal?

Last edited by circlewhisper; 02-18-2023 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:25 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Read up on these engines! Don’t let it idle up to temp. Start it up and drive it… keep the rpm’s under 3k until the water temp reaches 180 - 200 on the temp gauge. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
JoeOz (02-20-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 11:55 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 429 Posts

White smoke at the early start up phase is quite normal. Blue smoke anytime after it warms up is not really desired. The cars have cat converters to remove HC and CO.

Quick Reply: Smells after high RPMs + smoke while idling.