Sponsored by:

Almost no oil in IMS.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 10:01 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Almost no oil in IMS.

So yesterday I finally got around to install My IMS solution.
when removing the bearing I was expecting the “traditional” half a cup of oil to come out, but nothing came out.
I had maybe half of a tea spoon of oil in the shaft.

this is the first time I’m installing an IMS bearing with the engine on the stand, and upside down (I installed 3 bearings in the past, the traditional way).
Is it possible with the engine on the stand most of the oil seeped out?
the bearing itself came out lightly oiled.

Old 01-30-2023, 10:26 AM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Since the bearing still has its seals, that's what I would expect. Pull the seals and see how much grease is still in it.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:00 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltusler
Since the bearing still has its seals, that's what I would expect. Pull the seals and see how much grease is still in it.
i just shipped it to LNE for registration. did think of opening it first.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:58 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,014 Posts

You've installed 3 bearings? Same car? What are the miles between IMS bearing service? That would be a factor and I assume you used an LN bearing since you're putting in the IMS Solution.

When my bearing was removed, it was the original and the car had 65K miles on it. Oil was filled in the shaft. Thankfully, the bearing had not failed.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:14 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
You've installed 3 bearings? Same car? What are the miles between IMS bearing service? That would be a factor and I assume you used an LN bearing since you're putting in the IMS Solution.

When my bearing was removed, it was the original and the car had 65K miles on it. Oil was filled in the shaft. Thankfully, the bearing had not failed.
LOL.
no I've installed 3 bearing in the past, in 3 different cars.
first one was a single raw on my 2001 Boxster S at 74K miles, about 10 years ago. The second was on my 99 Boxster base (dual raw at 160K), and the third was on my friends 2001 Boxster base (67K).
in all 3 of them when i removed the bearing i had about half a cup of oil coming out of the shaft.
all 3 bearing were still fine when removed, and replaced with LNE ceramic ball bearing. The solution was not available back then.
this is the first time I'm installing the solution on my 996 C2 at 62k miles, and the single row bearing that came out, looks fine as well.

Quick Reply: Almost no oil in IMS.