Sponsored by:

2004 996 C4S Rear Spoiler Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 01:06 PM
johnfalco
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2004 996 C4S Rear Spoiler Help

I know there are dozens of threads about this but I have some specific questions since I just bought my [first] 911 and the rear spoiler was stuck in the up position when I got it and I keep getting the failure message. I have since torn it apart and found that the retraction cable on the driver's side was not moving which then cause the track for that side to become out of sync with the passenger side. But since tearing it apart further - and fixing the stuck cable - I also noticed the outside micro switch was broken (the pin fell out when I checked it) and this is the root of my questions.

So thanks in advance for any and all help you can provide....

1. Does the manual switch in the fuse box work regardless of the micro switches? My switch works fine for going up but does nothing when I press down. I tested the switch by removing the plug and using a jumper and again, up is fine but down solicits nothing. Ideas?
2. I also verified that one of my relays was bad by switching them (the down was bad) so I installed 2 new relays and I assume a standard 30A 5-pin relay is fine or do I need a Porsche one? The up button works so I assume it doesn't.
3. I want to test the relay socket for the retraction function but am not sure which pins to use. I know 30 is hot but which do I use to close the circuit? Is it 87 or 87A? And is 85 the inbound 12v to trigger the relay to close? If that pin is bad (socket not the relay), can/should I run a new wire to the fuse box switch? I bought a dash switch also so I will also tie that switch in at some point since I have some blanks I want to fill.
4. For the micro switches, I need to replace the outside switch as noted but bought both to be safe and wanted to know which goes where since they are different (upper and lower per product ID) and I am not sure which is which. As noted, the outside one (furthest from spoiler motor) is the broken one but I have not gotten the switches yet and if the wires are the same it'll be easy to match but if not, please advise.
5. As noted, one of the cables was stuck and the cable is pretty rusty but works. Can I pack that tube with grease like I would with the motor gears and tracks?

Thank you.