Sponsored by:

Help! Need opinions of Ruf, Roock, Cargraphic, Strosek, Techart upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 11:30 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Re: Help! Need opinions of Ruf, Roock, Cargraphic, Strosek, Techart upgrades

Originally posted by dcynkin
Ruf, Roock, Cargraphic, Strosek, Techart
From personal experience, Ruf stuff is all good and well made but expensive and engineered to Porsche standards, but Ruf makes road cars and does not have the experience of say RS Tuning or Manthey whose engines are honed on the track.
Roock used to race and had a good rep but recently that seems to have soured -I have never used them.
Cargraphic - I have their mufflers which are very high quality and made by Phoenix in the UK - they work with RS Tuning in developing their parts using engine dyno and track experience, I would highly recomend them. Strosek -never used, but rep is high quality bodywork and expensive, they use RS Tuning engines. Techart - I have a steering wheel from them, very good quality. I once spoke extensively with a Techart exec at the Essen Motorshow and they are dogmatic about the testing which goes into their parts and their quality. FVD are another tuner similar to Cargraphic but I detect a little BS coming from them sometimes, but they have a great range. My wheel arch extensions are from FVD as is my special 980NM clutch and LSD.
If you need more info, please be more specific about which parts you are thinking of getting, and maybe the 996 board is the place to post ?
Old 05-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Super D
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input. I'm interested in all the performance parts, body parts, suspension, everything. I want to focus first on naturall aspirated, and then later a turbo car. Many tuners claim power increase with their part on the NA cars, but I've heard most of it is BS. I want to deal with power upgrades that are real for NA cars, and I don't want to go to turbo until I'm satisfied with all the NA upgrades.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:35 PM
AdamT
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I have had extensive experience of RUF for just over a year now,

They generally go above and beyond whats needed. Yes theya re expensive but the quality and craftsmanship that goes into the product is second to none.

Our R turbo developed a turbo leak where the turbos were only working at about .6 bar. My father phoned Mr RUF- who was embarrassed and shocked by the car, and within 48hrs the car was in pfaffenhausen, after two ruf techs brought a truck and trailer.

And Just FYI the gemballa ring lap time was with a car with racing tires and race fuel, driven by a very good DTM driver, far from what you would find on the road

all the best
adam
Old 05-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally posted by Sloth
Not a big fan of Strosek style and Rook does not have the best reputation. Not even sure Rook is still in business, I thought they were closed down.
FWIW

Roock enjoys a good reputation in Europe. Their business shut down in the US only because of issues between partners and paperwork legislation, but they are still well operational in Europe and are well respected. No affiliation, just first hand info. Their main issue is not being good marketeers.

As TB993TT said, among the most respectable reputations in Europe are definitely RS Tuning and Manthey Racing.

Jean
Old 02-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Cosmo007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default great looking car

Is that a RUF front end on your car ?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Super D
Instructor

Factory Turbo S front lip.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

I can only speak to RUF aerodynamics at speed (2000 996 w/H&R springs on 19" wheels). I find it to be very stable at around 150 mph in a straight line compared to stock. The fitment is great and have had no issues with warp-age etc with the high temps hear in summer sunny Arizona. There are only 2 settings for the angle of attack for the rear wing. Hope this helps some.

Last edited by Mother; 02-18-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:14 AM
jmla
Rennlist Member

OP, You will build a much more potent machine if you look to individual specialty shops (listed below) instead of purchasing "performance packages" from brand name tuners. Also, I would address the M96's weaknesses before upgrading other areas of the car.

Engine: http://www.flat6innovations.com/

Suspension: http://gmgracing.com/porsche_suspension.shtml

Body: http://www.mashaw.com/
http://www.gettydesign.com/
Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Toomanycars
Rennlist Member

Have a full Techart body kit on the car. I bought the car with it but the receipt said it cost about $11,000 so for that price it better be damn perfect. I removed the front bumper the other day and was shocked at how light it was! I bet it only weighed 2lbs if that. Also the fit and finish on all the pieces are excellent. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Help! Need opinions of Ruf, Roock, Cargraphic, Strosek, Techart upgrades