996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Coilover Experts - Is This Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 10:40 AM
CarreraWhiteC4S
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the identical setup. Bought my ohlins second hand, barely used in immaculate condition. Had them installed by an shop and have clunking to the front right on my C4S. Unfortunately my car is away for the winter so will have to wait till the spring to diagnose.

subscribed to see if you come up with any solutions I can try!

Old 11-16-2022, 11:50 AM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

He's got to get the preload corrected (it cant be correct since the spring is loose), then slide the bracket up then tighten everything together. then make sure both sides have the same ride height (lower dimension looks like a 3 but I can't tell)
Old 11-16-2022, 12:03 PM
Jengah
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dougn
He's got to get the preload corrected (it cant be correct since the spring is loose), then slide the bracket up then tighten everything together. then make sure both sides have the same ride height (lower dimension looks like a 3 but I can't tell)
Correct. It's a three (3). Thanks for the feedback.

Still waiting for Ohlin's reply to my email.
Old 11-23-2022, 01:14 PM
Jengah
Racer

So I got the answer from Ohlins. In short, the retrofit setup has different installation instructions than what you find online. Here are the correct instructions that refer to the same diagram I posted above on 11/14/22. Notice that there are no lock rings below the lower spring seat and above the anti-roll bar mount.

You need to add 10mm of preload to the spring, you currently have negative preload on. The spring will measure 190mm long once preloaded. The car needs to be off the ground to do this. Below-

Once you have the preload set you will then run the anti roll bracket up to that lock ring securing it in place so that the lock ring does not move. They need to be touching. Below-

Once you have that the bracket secured you will then run the second lock ring up to the bottom on the bracket. Below-

Then you will leave 3mm gap to the third lock ring that sets your ride height. Below-

If you really wanted to go lower, you can remove this lock ring and have the upright set against the second lockring for reduced ride height. You can gain about 5mm of height adjustment if you did this.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:02 AM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

How did your set-up get so mucked up in the first place?
Old 01-12-2023, 09:59 PM
CarreraWhiteC4S
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jengah
Correct. It's a three (3). Thanks for the feedback.

Still waiting for Ohlin's reply to my email.
Do you mind sharing your contact method for Ohlins? I came across the recall notice and am under the impression the original owner did not apply for the recall. Now I have them install on my car and would love to find out what my options are for getting the front struts replaced as they are second hand.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:15 AM
Jengah
Racer

Not at all (as long as you trade me your white C4S for my silver...).

I started with emailing the US company at (ohlins_us_info@driv.com), and ended up getting a reply from gary.christopher@driv.com who proceeded to handle the claim for me. BTW - they didn't care that I was not the original purchaser, but they did want to know where they were purchased originally from. I was able to provide that.Be prepared, you will need the following information for them:

1. Full name

2. Shipping address

3. Phone number

4. Vehicle Identification Number

5. Image of part number at base of front struts and top nut above mount. (Just a quick photo down by the lower shock mount. Numbers should be easy to see)
Good luck.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:18 PM
CarreraWhiteC4S
4th Gear

Haha took me a while to source this colour!

thanks for the information! Did you ever get your clunking issue resolved?
Old 01-20-2023, 01:02 PM
Jengah
Racer

Originally Posted by CarreraWhiteC4S
Haha took me a while to source this colour!

thanks for the information! Did you ever get your clunking issue resolved?
Yes - once properly setup, the assembly was snug against the top mount rather than floating.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:11 PM
CarreraWhiteC4S
4th Gear

Thanks for all the information! Sent them an email with all the required information and within a week the new parts were at my door.

Did they assist at all with cost of re-installing them/alignment? Or did you have yours recalled prior to installation?

I purchased mine 2nd hand and had them installed prior to realizing they were up for recall so come spring I’ll have to have the new ones reinstalled.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:10 PM
Jengah
Racer

I got a certain amount toward the installation from them.

Quick Reply: Coilover Experts - Is This Normal?