Sponsored by:

Question on jacking up the rear end of the 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 04:02 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pic, Andy.
That is my picure posted on RennTech back in January. At my local dealer in San Jose. Even has the yellow X I put on it.

Car is owned by one of our local 996er named Ron after his engine replacement.

Some more.

Old 05-08-2004, 10:24 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Thanks for the original pic, Jeff. WOW. What a shiny new engine!
2. Orient, your advice is appreciated.
3. Spar, I have considered ramps.
4. Lex, bottle jacks are a bit high... good thought, though. I think ramps would be a better way to go.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RJ,

I use the standard rear jacking point to get the car up in the air and position the rear jack stands where the yellow “X” is displayed in the Tool Pants/Andy photo. I find that spot to be very sturdy and I use the AC jack stands which have a nice thick flat rubber top to distribute the load evenly over whatever is resting atop it. I am only 5 weeks into 996 ownership but I have put it up on the stands a few times to change the oil and spark plugs and bleed the brakes.

Hank
Old 05-10-2004, 09:59 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

JimB,

I was a little confused by your response with putting the car up on stands. I come from a 993 and whenever I put the car up on stands I placed the stands at the factory jack points, however to get the car up you had to raise the rear by using the floor jack on the engine case. No bid deal on the 993 as there was no oil pan. From these pictures it appears where I would normally place the jack is the oild pan. Do you raise the rear using the factory jack points and place the stands where the yellow "X" is in the above pictures or do you raise the car with a different jack point and place the stands at the factory locations. Thanks in advance for the advice. My new to me car arrives tomorrow and I want to do an oil change and spark plug change when I get it.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:40 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brian,

I know your question is directed toward JimB, however, I searched all the sites of which I am aware on "the best" way to put the car up on jack stands. A lot of folks do use the L-shaped molding on the engine. It seemed to me that the easiest and safest method was to used the standard rear jacking spot to get the car up enough to slide the jack stands under the rear subframe marked with the yellow "X" in the aforementioned picture. As JimB points out, we do this at our own peril. I used to own a GT3-Cup car and the guys that supported my car at the races always put the jack stands under the subframe as depicted with the "X" even when the car was up on the built-in air jacks.

Hank
Old 05-10-2004, 11:29 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the slow response but Hank said exactly what I would have. We always jack at the rear jack points and put the rear stands at one of two locations. Either under the subframe as shown in the pictures or under the bolt that attaches a brace that runs at an angle to the rear. I know that's a poor description but it's pretty obvious when you look.

Orient, you may be right. As I mentioned, I use that point occasionally when I need to jack up the back and drag the car around but I would make sure the tech is not just using "we've always jacked 911s here" logic before I bet my oil pan on it. You might want to ask your service manager if Porsche will warranty the engine if you bust the pan with a jack. I'm pretty sure I know what the answer will be.

Jim
Old 05-10-2004, 01:01 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info. For some reason I didn't see Hanks response right above mine until after I posted. Strange.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Andy (Atlanta)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is my picure posted on RennTech back in January. At my local dealer in San Jose. Even has the yellow X I put on it.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that it was my pic or car. I just pulled it from the archives because it was a good shot of the cross member.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:19 PM
wyo996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I will tell you a slick way to do it with disclaimer. I use good high lift aluminum racing jacks (22") and when they are all the way up on the jacking points I put a sloted 2X6 under the lift pad and then release the hydralics to put the weight on the 2X6 and then tighten the handle. Fast and easy. Will

x
Old 05-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our local group jacks up cars all the time. Use common sense and never trust your jack.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Ed996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone, please. A picture of the "L" shaped part of the engine to which I can apply my jack, at my own risk. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Question on jacking up the rear end of the 996