996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearings - Which tools?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 01:50 PM
rich_r
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Just coming back to this! I did the front wheel bearings this weekend. Loads of snow here in the North, so I've been skiing rather than tinkering with the 996.

Anyway, after reading a few threads, watching a few YT clips and looking at the Bentley manual I tackled the job. Everything came apart easily and the bearings pushed out and pulled in easily.

Specific tools i used were a bearing puller kit (I bought the Orion 23pc kit from Amazon) and a slider hammer kit. Only took me a few hours all in to do both sides, including remove the full hub assembly. It's cold here, so I gently warmed the hub assembly.

Last edited by rich_r; 02-06-2023 at 01:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rich_r:
c didy (02-07-2023), JohnCA58 (02-07-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 08:14 AM
johnayanapa
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes to enhancing wheel performance, consider upgrading to Ceramic Bearings. Their low friction properties can make a noticeable difference in your driving experience. I recently got mine from Bearing Online Store, a reputable supplier and part of one of the largest independent bearing stockists in the UK. The difference in smoothness and reduced maintenance is striking. Plus, they are known for their durability. If you're seeking improved wheel bearing performance, Ceramic Bearings are definitely worth the investment. Check out Bearing Online Store for options that can suit your needs. Your ride will thank you for it!

Old 09-04-2023, 01:58 PM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 489 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by johnayanapa
When it comes to enhancing wheel performance, consider upgrading to Ceramic Bearings. Their low friction properties can make a noticeable difference in your driving experience. I recently got mine from Bearing Online Store, a reputable supplier and part of one of the largest independent bearing stockists in the UK. The difference in smoothness and reduced maintenance is striking. Plus, they are known for their durability. If you're seeking improved wheel bearing performance, Ceramic Bearings are definitely worth the investment. Check out Bearing Online Store for options that can suit your needs. Your ride will thank you for it!
I know I'm answering an advertisement, but FYI for any future readers, this linked store doesn't have anything remotely appropriate in size, not to mention any information about load ratings, etc.
The bearing from my C4S measures:
44mm Bore, 85mm OD, 47mm width, Inner bore has a ~1.5mm radius chamfer on each side which is needed to fit against the axle shaft or stub.
In case it needs to be said, please don't use my measurements to try to source a 3rd party bearing. These are press fit, which means they have tolerances in the 10s of microns, and I did not measure to that level of precision.
The following users liked this post:
wdb (09-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Wheel bearings - Which tools?