Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Radar Detector: False Sense of Security?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 01:34 PM
KWC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

radar detectors just let you know it's time to down shift and get ready to blow the cops doors off...cause now you at least know that you were "tagged" speeding and can enjoy imagining the cop scratching his head saying to himself, "know, where that porch go?"
Old 05-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Chicago996
Racer

I got tagged 2 years ago with a cop using a Laser gun. My 7500 didn't even chirp though, ostensibly, it "detects" laser. After pulling over, I asked how he tagged me and he told me (almost with pride) about his new Laser gun. Said he tagged me about a half mile out. No wonder I never saw him. Since I was going to pay anyway, I just got curious about the Laser and asked him it was possible for him to 'shoot' me again. I wanted to make 100% sure that my radar will not pick it up. So, he shot me again! When aimed at the grill, my radar never chirped. When he aimed directly in the middle of the windshield, that's when my radar decides to 'warn' me. Bottom line:

1. If your radar goes off and it gives off the Laser tone, its too late.
2. Laser cannot be used from a moving vehicle.
3. You have to be driving to the cop for Laser to work correctly (as opposed to driving away from a stationary cop).

I guess since I was so curious about his new 'toy', he ended up dropping the ticket (73 in a 55) and gave me written warning instead
Old 05-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Dirk Tanner
Instructor

Gary,

Learn what technology is used by your local, friendly cops, then program your detector to ignore the remaining BS (in my neck of the woods, X & K).

Like already mentioned, laser detection is a great way of alerting you that you just got a ticket (why even wait for the red lights in your mirror), and the loud-phone-ring sound that the 8500 emits for laser scares the crap out of ya.

Unless...there are other motorists around you. This is the best protection, giving radar something to bounce off of, and hopefully drawing laser fire before you do.

As for aircraft, pacing, visual estimation, etc, well you're screwed, bud.

Say, why don't you just drive 65? (Damn, I crack myself up.)

-DT
Old 05-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

GBG, I've seen laser used by NYS troopers, Nassau County Highway Patrol and Suffolk County Highway Patrol to name just a few in the Greater NY area.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mooty
...and they will get you for 5mph over if they had a bad donut that morning, i kid you not...
FYI: If you are nailed for 1-5 mph over the speed limit, ALWAYS ALWAYS fight it. Even if the cops equipment is calibrated properly, your vehicle speedo is not. Most reasonable judges/traffic commissioners will give you a few MPH of wiggle room because of this.

Also FYI: Most vehicle speedos (yes even Porsches) are calibrated to read faster than you are travelling. A stationary radar unit measured me at 43 when my speedo said 45.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:48 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

to me all these gadgets are useless and annoying--especially with instant on, laser and vascar--

i advise keeping your eyes open and saving your money for a good attorney to keep points off your licence when the inevitable happens--

i also believe in a few police union stickers on the bumper sometimes earn you a warning instead of a ticket --especially if you have no points on your record
Old 05-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ignacio
(snip) i also believe in a few police union stickers on the bumper sometimes earn you a warning instead of a ticket --especially if you have no points on your record
You don't really advocate putting bumper stickers on Porsches do you??
Old 05-21-2004, 02:31 AM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

leon

look at your own avatar!

you need a bumper sticker, too!
Old 05-25-2004, 11:48 PM
996Gurl
Intermediate

A couple of years ago, I bought a Beltronics radar... and find that I never use it! I don't know about all of you, but it seems like there is always someone who needs to bomb by me, regardless of the speed at which I'm driving! Usually, but not limited to, riced out Hondas. I can't count the number of times I've seen them a few kilometers down the road, getting a ticket!
Old 05-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Yup, best method is use radar "shadows" or let the schmuck with the "go kart" take the point.......any idiot can drive fast, and many of them are eager to show a Porsche that they can.........
Old 05-26-2004, 01:27 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

gretch is right!!

following a ricer is the best stategy!

imo, detectors are a waste of money and a constant annoyance--your eyes and brain are much better tools.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by WCE

If laser use become more prevalent or I get busted (whichever comes first) I will have to invest in one of the jammer units, which apparently actually work!
Jammers are illegal in CA (detectors are legal), before you buy check your state laws.

95% of my alerts on my V1 on the freeway are false. Overpass traffic moniters & other detectors (radios) in trucks, wake me up. I'm not complaining, it saved my butt 4 - 5 times recently.

From what I read, lasers can't be used in heavy multiple lane traffic successfully. Two lane roads where the prey (us) are funneled to the officer are where they're most used in our area.

Unfortunately some cops are unsportsmanlike and they creatively write the citation without timing and guessing your speed.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:42 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 35 Posts

The best way to avoid a ticket? Your attitude. Don't BS, bad-mouth or whine to the cop. Admit that you're wrong. Be humble. This will get you off more often than not. Good luck out there...
Old 05-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Despite the more deadly technology that the police utilize, I still rely on my V1, commonsense, intuition, "rabbits" and left foot braking to avoid tickets. In MD, laser is more prevalent than a couple of years ago, but state troopers and county police still use K band set on continuous and even X band.

Radar detectors give a false sense of security if you feel that they are 100% effective against tickets.

Quick Reply: Radar Detector: False Sense of Security?