From fixed wing to OEM spoiler - wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 06:08 PM
wingebag
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From fixed wing to OEM spoiler - wires

Hello all,

I'd like to apologize in advance if I have missed an earlier post describing the same issues. Most of the earlier forum posts seem to describe people going from OEM to fixed wing and not vice versa.

I just bought a 996 C2 and I just removed the GT2 style fixed wing because I wanted to install the OEM rear hatch with electronic spoiler.

Neither of the brake lights work (third and fourth) unfortunately. The wires to the brake lights have been cut, so I assume I need another wiring harness. Is it perhaps 99663144701? Will the correct wiring harness for the OEM spoiler fix all my light problems?

The OEM spoiler has been installed and right now the spoiler itself is in the extended position. There doesn't seem to be any wire to connect to the electronic spoiler.

There is no spoiler button in the cabin to extend and retract the spoiler. Could it retract by itself once it is connected perhaps or by clearing codes with a scanner?

My mechanic friend commented that the conversion to the GT2 wing was done super shoddily.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:37 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Yes, a new wiring harness should fix your issue.
There is a spoiler raise/lower button on the fuse panel cover near the driver’s left shin.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:40 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,417 Likes on 1,787 Posts

So i have trying to figure out what u have going on here. The harness u posted is what attaches to the tail light and has nothing to do with the third brake light.

The third brake light harness goes through the back firewall under the glass. U need to remove the interior trim piece to access it. if its been cut and its missing try DC Auto or LA Dismantler for a used section of harness. I should be real easy to trace and reconnect.

With the factory spoiler/lid the harness is integraded and should have come with the unit. It should have a 6 or 7 pin plug, i forget exactly, and it plugs onto the engine harness on the right of the car near the main harness connector. U need to look for it. As said above is sounds like someone removed the spoiler button thats in the fuse kick panel.

Once its all connected it should work. i think all non-gt carraras have the correct wiring from the factory, even the areo cars. I suspect when the po put the fixed wing on they never bought the gt rear deck harness.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:35 PM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 251 Posts

Just buy the harness… i did and it was plug and play and solved the issue easy peasy
Old 08-06-2022, 10:03 AM
wingebag
3rd Gear

My father and I are following this wiring diagram.

We have a bunch of wires in the engine bay, which need figuring out.

The black (minus) and red (plus) in the picture above are located to the right in the engine bay. When we press the spoiler button on the fuse panel, the wires show 12 volt, so they should connect to the electronic spoiler.

When the two wires (red and black) connect to the spoiler motor in my hand, the gears spin.

Then we have this thick one behind the rear right light in the engine bay. No power indicated. We have no idea where it should go.

Then we have this connector in the same spot. 3 wires inside. The red one shows constant 12 volt. The two others are minus.

Removed the backplate on the rear hatch to gain access to the wiring, which have been cut as seen in the above picture.

These two should be to the brake light in the spoiler, but there is no power when pressing the brake pedal.

Then we have these 7 and we can't figure out, where they are supposed to go.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:09 PM
wingebag
3rd Gear

Bump?
Old 08-09-2022, 06:44 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,417 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Read my post 3 your harness is f'ed so toss it. Call dc auto for $100 they sold me a harness and all the other pieces to put an aftermarket deck lid on. I only have fixed wing lids but here r my pics. Aome wires go to the fan, some to the light and the others go to your wing. That 3 wire plug is a diagnostuc plug and clips into a holder in the corner by the o2 plug bracket. See pics for the wing harness plug

Old 08-10-2022, 03:35 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

On my car through some voodoo in the harness, the 3rd brake light in the spoiler does not turn on when the spoiler is down, so I wouldn't be surprised if you can't test the brake light till you have all the other wiring working including the motors.

Quick Reply: From fixed wing to OEM spoiler - wires