996 C4S ride quality / ride height / suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 07:47 AM
radial
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 996 C4S ride quality / ride height / suspension

Hi all,

I have a 996 C4S 2004 cab. I've had it for 4 years now but recently thought more and more that the ride is so hard and harsh. It has never been a soft ride as you would expect, but at the moment it feels so hard that it feels like my 40mm lowered Renault Clio from the 90s.

I know the car was tracked at least a bit as I found some gravel in the side pods. Other than that, I know very little about the car before my time. I got it at 79k (now on 96k). The suspension is not obviously aftermarket or lowered and the wheels look nice and cantered in the arches.

I have no knocks or other abnormal noises from the suspension. Since I've had it, I have replaced the following just due to normal wear and tear (mostly all less than 10k miles ago)...
all drop links
front lower control arms
all anti-roll bar mount bushings
outer tie rods
rear lower control arms

So I know hard to determine from a forum post and some photos, but does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge to share that could help me?
Whats the stock ride height so I could check that?
What can I look for to know if they are stock springs or after market?
Anything else I can check or that might cause a really harsh ride?

Thanks in advance

PS excuse how dirty it is at the moment... no water pressure at my new house to wash it with!

Old 07-25-2022, 08:35 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Ride height looks pretty stock to me (around 25” from ground to wheel arch). Some pics of the actual suspension components would probably help…
The following users liked this post:
zbomb (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 10:32 AM
radial
Intermediate

Found these two photos of the front. Not much to go on.
I'll have to get some more when I have it in the air next opportunity.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:47 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,138 Posts

Those are stock front struts and appear to be stock front springs. Perhaps the struts are worn out at 96K miles.
dporto (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 10:59 AM
radial
Intermediate

Originally Posted by theprf
Those are stock front struts and appear to be stock front springs. Perhaps the struts are worn out at 96K miles.
Thanks for confirming.

I did think about worn dampers but would that not result in excessive bouncing rather than making the suspension feel hard?
If I bounce a corner, it doesn't bounce up and down, it just returns right to where it was like I would expect from a strut in good condition.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:37 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 663 Posts

Is Poole in the UK? Your ride height looks lower than the stock US suspension height.

Springs and shocks definitely. Do the strut tops/bearings/etc. while you're at it so you're good for another 60K or more. Coilovers are another option of course. It depends on what you want from the car.

I did a suspension refresh and my car went from feeling harsh and a little floaty, to feeling controlled and compliant. Pretty amazing difference really.
Old 07-25-2022, 02:57 PM
radial
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wdb
Is Poole in the UK? Your ride height looks lower than the stock US suspension height.

Springs and shocks definitely. Do the strut tops/bearings/etc. while you're at it so you're good for another 60K or more. Coilovers are another option of course. It depends on what you want from the car.

I did a suspension refresh and my car went from feeling harsh and a little floaty, to feeling controlled and compliant. Pretty amazing difference really.
yes Poole is in the UK
from what I read, the US has a taller setup compared with the ROW spec for some reason.

I had considered changing springs and dampers but wanted to confirm before I throw parts at it. Good to know that solved it for you.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:52 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

My car was harsh on the original worn out suspension. Coilovers fixed that. We suspect that new suspension components will solve your issue. I also replaced all suspension arms and bushings, with the exception of the subframe.
dporto (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 05:07 PM
c210rg
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

My 4S was also quit harsh on the streets, 90,000 miles. Recently replaced all the suspension components with oem type parts, but went with Bilstein's PSS10's. The ride now is much better than it was before and is adjustable from soft to firm. Interestingly the ride is now firm but not harsh, not sure how to explain that really.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:15 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by c210rg
My 4S was also quit harsh on the streets, 90,000 miles. Recently replaced all the suspension components with oem type parts, but went with Bilstein's PSS10's. The ride now is much better than it was before and is adjustable from soft to firm. Interestingly the ride is now firm but not harsh, not sure how to explain that really.
That describes my experience as well. New suspension bits make a big difference.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:37 PM
chris8382
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Shocks!

Originally Posted by radial
Thanks for confirming.

I did think about worn dampers but would that not result in excessive bouncing rather than making the suspension feel hard?
If I bounce a corner, it doesn't bounce up and down, it just returns right to where it was like I would expect from a strut in good condition.
I had a similar thought. Didn’t notice any bouncing when I did test at corners, but the ride is completely transformed with new OEM shocks. Makes me realize that there is more than one symptom for worn shocks.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by chris8382:
dporto (07-26-2022), wdb (07-25-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 07:33 AM
radial
Intermediate

Thanks All. OK I think new suspension is the way then.
Now to go rattle the money tree.

Quick Reply: 996 C4S ride quality / ride height / suspension