996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PCCM+ questions for 05 TT: help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 11:31 AM
orrhopod
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCCM+ questions for 05 TT: help!

Hi all-
ive read a lot on the PCCM+ and am ready to pull the trigger. I’m in metro Atlanta, so can find a good install shop.

I’ve got a 2005 Turbo S. Pics attached. Natural brown interior.

looks
like I need to remove the lower CD tray and install the black “radio delete” tray.

also because it is double din already, I don’t think I need any of the additional “parts” (support brackets, etc.). Is the correct?

does the PCCM+ need to be “programmed” for the unit to talk to the navigation management in dash, etc.

I use CarPlay and waze. Any need to upgrade to the SD card “maps”

my dash is all brown leather. I’m a bit nervous about going all black, with they had a radio delete tray in natural brown.

if the unit needs programming by a Dealer, would it be better to have a dealer install it?

thanks!!

Dash

Dash
Old 05-30-2022, 11:46 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,783 Likes on 1,135 Posts

The piece on the bottom is just a storage tray. No need to do anything with it.
My understanding is that the PCCM+ fits into the existing double-DIN slot with no additional parts needed, and works very nicely with the MOST fiber-optic radio system which is what's installed on your '05 Turbo.
The PCCM+ should show the directions in the screen on the tachometer with no additional programming, as your PCM2 already does this.
There are some software glitches in the PCCM+ that have not been resolved. One is that it randomly resets the trip computer. There are probably others.
If you use waze there should not be any need to have the maps SD card as the maps are in waze.
I can't comment on your other questions, as I haven't got a PCCM+. This info is what I picked up during my searching. For what it's worth I decided not to install a PCCM+. I kept the PCM2 and added a bluetooth emulator to replace the CD changer.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:57 AM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Go to sun coast Porsche and make sure you select the correct model you need.
They also have the best price IMO.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:31 PM
orrhopod
7th Gear

Originally Posted by theprf
The piece on the bottom is just a storage tray. No need to do anything with it.
My understanding is that the PCCM+ fits into the existing double-DIN slot with no additional parts needed, and works very nicely with the MOST fiber-optic radio system which is what's installed on your '05 Turbo.
The PCCM+ should show the directions in the screen on the tachometer with no additional programming, as your PCM2 already does this.
There are some software glitches in the PCCM+ that have not been resolved. One is that it randomly resets the trip computer. There are probably others.
If you use waze there should not be any need to have the maps SD card as the maps are in waze.
I can't comment on your other questions, as I haven't got a PCCM+. This info is what I picked up during my searching. For what it's worth I decided not to install a PCCM+. I kept the PCM2 and added a bluetooth emulator to replace the CD changer.

thank you. I’m not
worried about the trip computer reset. Have read this was an issue.

the car already has a iPod/iPhone adapter. I may just leave it original….hate mounting my phone on the
windshield….
Old 05-30-2022, 12:32 PM
orrhopod
7th Gear

Originally Posted by meirschwartz
Go to sun coast Porsche and make sure you select the correct model you need.
They also have the best price IMO.
thank you for the recommendation for Sun coast!
Old 05-31-2022, 07:08 PM
Lugnutty
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

It comes with the MOST adapter, so you don't need to worry about electronic-ing it to the car. I don't think you'll get any nav integration with CarPlay, though. My 911 is an '01 so it's not fiber, but my Boxster is a 2004, so it is. The Boxster does occasionally get the odo reset issue, the 911 never does. I ran the USB cable down the center stack and into the little cubby I replaced my CD holder with. I suppose I could have run it all the way up the center console and put it in the compartment in there, but I like it right in the center stack. Even there, I still occasionally forget it!

If you aren't going to use the built-in nav, you don't need the SD card. I bought it with the PCCM+ for the Boxster (the first one I bought), played with it for a while, liked its cool features, then went to Waze on my phone and never once went back to the unit's own nav. Save the $160 or whatever it is. Waze is better.
Attached Images   
Old 05-31-2022, 07:09 PM
Lugnutty
Instructor

Oh I forgot to answer the double DIN question!

It should slot right in with what you have. Both of my cars were single DIN, so I had to buy the double DIN conversion stuff. I took that opportunity to update the 911's vents and cupholders to the .2 version. You should be able to take yours apart, construct the framework on the PCCM+ unit, and slot it in with the brackets you already have.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:18 PM
orrhopod
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Lugnutty
Oh I forgot to answer the double DIN question!

It should slot right in with what you have. Both of my cars were single DIN, so I had to buy the double DIN conversion stuff. I took that opportunity to update the 911's vents and cupholders to the .2 version. You should be able to take yours apart, construct the framework on the PCCM+ unit, and slot it in with the brackets you already have.
OK perfect. Thank you for the detailed response. Is the unit touchscreen. In our Cayenne Waze integration is all touchscreen. It makes it very nice. On my BMW it is not touch screen and it’s a little bit aggravating
Old 05-31-2022, 08:20 PM
Lugnutty
Instructor

Yep, it is touch screen!
Old 06-01-2022, 09:25 AM
orrhopod
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Lugnutty
Yep, it is touch screen!
thank you!
Old 06-01-2022, 10:13 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

You won't need any additional brackets since you already have the PCM double din. With MOST, it really is plug and play and you can reuse the GPS antenna from your current PCM is you chose to get the SD nav maps from PORSCHE. You can always add them later since the Micro SD slot is on the faceplate of the PCCM+. No reprograming needed for your display since you have PCM, but turn by turn in your cluster display only works for PORSCHE maps and not for CarPlay maps (Waze, Google, Apple); always the case with CarPlay in OEMs.
Trip computer random reset is the only bug I've encountered since I installed it...annoying but not a dealbreaker. I've reported it to my dealership and they'll let me know when they have an answer.
I ended up getting this wireless adapter for CarPlay:
Ottocast Wireless CarPlay adapter Ottocast Wireless CarPlay adapter
: works flawlessly. Plugs into the media box, which I hid behind the Climate Control and then ran a usb/iphone charging cable through a hole in the storage cubby (ditched the CD tray since it's now obsolete).

Quick Reply: PCCM+ questions for 05 TT: help!