Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks awesome bro!!!
Old 04-28-2004, 12:12 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by deputydog95
Yeah, I'll probably look into lowering springs at some point. I had coilovers on my bmw and I never ended up adjusting them. Does eibach or H&R make a decent set of lowering springs for our rides? I'm just going for the look
H&R makes a nice set of lowering springs for the car if you don't want to go the coilover route. i have a set on my car and they're very nice. get a set of bilstein HD shocks to go with them. it's also a little cheaper than the coilover kit ($400 or so), though the labor is the same. the springs are $500, shocks are $275 each (or $1100 total), then throw in about $800 for the labor and balancing.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:44 PM
wet996
Advanced

Does the Turbo front require a wing in the back like the aerokit (can't/shouldn't do one w/o the other)? - Looks great!!

BTW - I got 3/4" lower w/H&Rs on my 99 cab. Looks much better, little stiffer - WATCH OUT FOR YOUR PLASTIC CHIN!! I am on my second one now
Old 04-28-2004, 12:49 PM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

I was able to use the turbo ducts. The shop used a heat gun to soften and stretch to fit, works perfect and looks factory.

I have kept the original nose so when I go to sell the car in a few years I can prove there was no hit that forced a change, and , up here anyway, many people like to keep them stock and Canadian ( ie, very conservative)

I'll try to remember to get some photos of the turbo ducts.

Cheers
Old 04-28-2004, 07:53 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The dealer charged about $500 to paint and install the bumper. It was a fair price. I checked around town and that seemed to be the going rate. i'd rather the dealer do it anyway. I don't have any hooks with a body shop in Tampa.

I can't believe the springs are $500 for this car. That's outrageous. They're only $200-300 for bmw's. Not sure why it costs $200 more for a porsche spring. i'm not going to bother with changing out the shocks. I don't track it and I'll still get an improvement in handling over the stock springs with the added look of being a little lower and closing that fender gap. I get my track fix on my Aprilia anyway Two wheels is the only way to go if you're tracking it! $800 for labor on shocks and springs is way too much! I had my coilovers installed and adjusted for $250 at a shop in Orlando. $800 would be like 12 hours labor at the dealer no less.

My dealer didn't want to mess with customizing the ducts. I wish they were more experienced with the conversion, but they were the best bet in town. Honestly though, I looked at some turbos and C4S today at the dealer and it wasn't that different. The stock ducts are plenty big to get air over the radiators and I don't notice them behind the grills. I don't think anyone would notice if I didn't tell them.

I sold my stock bumper today. I plan on keeping the car for a while. Still have two more years of payments No room to store the old bumper anyway. I figure it'd be a selling point anyway since, at least in my opinion, looks a million times better than the stock nose and it is an OEM part.

I don't' think the turbo nose requires the wing. A techart IIC would be nice if anyone wants to donate one Too rich for my blood right now. The anniversary model and C4S have the turbo nose with no wing. I don't really love the turbo wing anyway. I'm really partial to that techart one. Reminds me of the old whale tails.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

Wow! Looks great! Did you say the new bumper is a genuine Porsche part or OEM? It really looks great. Did the new bumper just "bolt on" or was there more to it mechanically?

Very nice job!
Mark
Old 04-28-2004, 10:35 PM
mim3
Instructor

Yo Dog! Is that a Pit Bull one sided swingarm stand I see?

Any Italian or Japanese stuff keeping the p-car company?

The front looks great!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:39 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Thanks. It's a porsche bumper off a c4s. More or less bolts right up. You can reuse the stock eyebrows and ducts. The bottom three connection points don't reach, but they don't really matter anyway. It hooks up to all of the other main mounting points. Very simple swap. The dealer wouldn't have done it unless it was pretty simple. They don't like "fabricating things". You do have to trim the actual metal bumper bar underneath about an inch on each side so that bumper fits properly. Very simple and doesn't affect the integrity of the bumper. Dozens of other people have done this and have had no problems.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:40 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks great!! A great upgrade!

MMMMMMMMMM....Speeeeed Yeeellllooooowww...............
Old 04-28-2004, 10:58 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Default Good eye Mim

Check out my priller!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:59 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I LOVE yellow things!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:00 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Default off topic but here's another

one more
Old 04-29-2004, 12:19 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

On the picture... the yellow hue of the bumper is different from the hood's yellow. Does it show in reality?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:36 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by deputydog95
I can't believe the springs are $500 for this car. That's outrageous. They're only $200-300 for bmw's. Not sure why it costs $200 more for a porsche spring. i'm not going to bother with changing out the shocks. I don't track it and I'll still get an improvement in handling over the stock springs with the added look of being a little lower and closing that fender gap. I get my track fix on my Aprilia anyway Two wheels is the only way to go if you're tracking it! $800 for labor on shocks and springs is way too much! I had my coilovers installed and adjusted for $250 at a shop in Orlando. $800 would be like 12 hours labor at the dealer no less.
actually i was thinking of the wrong price for the springs, you can get them for a little under $400! i can't stress enough that you need to change the shocks too. it's not about track handling, it's about street driving too. the car will not drive correctly with the stock shocks and the much shorter H&R springs!!! it'll have a slightly bouncy feel. you also run a much higher risk of damaging that new turbo nose because the stock shocks don't have the necessary stiffness to prevent your front end from bottoming on sharp bumps. trust me on this one, i speak from personal experience. if you can afford one of these cars and are modding it, you should mod it correctly.

the $800 might be a bit high a quote for the labor and alignment, but i don't think it's too high. the $250 quote is for what car? not a 996 i'm sure! you have to take a lot of stuff apart to change the shocks and springs on a 996! i think the fastest somebody could do it on a 996 is an hour per wheel, but you'd have to really know what you're doing! at $90/hour (or more) for labor, that's at least $360, and that's not including the alignment.

search the forums and you'll find lots of advice for not changing just the springs. i'm far from the only one with this opinion.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:37 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

kind of. speed yellow is a nightmare to paint according the body guys I spoke with. it looks perfect in the sunlight, but changes color when under artificial light. the dealer pointed it out to me when i picked it up. they noticed it when it was indoors under the flourescents. however, looked fine when they took it outside. looked great when i picked it up. it does however get a slightly different hue when photographed or under artificial light. looks perfect in the sun. weird. not sure if i want to complain about it yet. speed yellow is supposedly really difficult to match and it does look great outdoors.

Quick Reply: Pic of my turbo nose conversion