Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

No way that XAD would include aerokit without listing XAA, correct?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 10:18 AM
bstaneland
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No way that XAD would include aerokit without listing XAA, correct?

Of course I've gone into the rabbit hole in search and elsewhere online to find this answer... I just find it so hard to believe that someone would order JUST the rear bumper fins. On this particular car, it has loads of interior carbon options, so that tells me the original buyer theoretically had the cash for the aerokit too. So without beating a very dead petrified horse... there is no way in hell that in some bizarro Porsche factory mindset that a car ordered with just XAD (without XAA) wouldn't somehow mean full aerokit INCLUDING the rear bumper fins, correct?

Old 05-20-2022, 10:50 AM
work_truck
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 337 Posts

I've seen several cars with the fins and no aero kit, never put much thought into how someone might spec it that way though

Old 05-20-2022, 11:03 AM
bstaneland
Advanced

I hear you about why spec it with just the fins - definitely odd.

It was also possible that if the XAA aerokit was not available in the factory at the time of the car's run down the production line, that the aerokit was later shipped via tequipment to the selling dealer for install upon the car's arrival to said dealer, thus the sticker would not have XAA listed. If this was the situation with this car, any of you knowledgeable types happen to know how this can be confirmed?
Old 05-20-2022, 11:04 AM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Doesn't surprise me. There's people that enjoy Lutefisk. Easier to not try and decode someone else's thought train. It's possible they just didn't like the aesthetic of the whole XAA kit.
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 11:05 AM
bstaneland
Advanced

Ha! LOL @ lutefisk comment
Old 05-20-2022, 11:34 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

So your hood sticker or PPS shows XAD but not XAA?
Old 05-20-2022, 11:58 AM
bstaneland
Advanced

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
So your hood sticker or PPS shows XAD but not XAA?
The hood sticker shows XAD but not XAA
Old 05-20-2022, 12:02 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by bstaneland
The hood sticker shows XAD but not XAA
Is that your car in your avatar? If so, I don’t think XAA was available on a Cabriolet so it doesn’t surprise me that XAD was the only “aero” option selected on yours. The “Carrera Aerokit” might have been available on Cabs but I’m not 100% sure and it has a different rear wing compared to the XAA Aerokit.
The following users liked this post:
rockhouse66 (05-21-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 01:31 PM
bstaneland
Advanced

Is that your car in your avatar? If so, I don’t think XAA was available on a Cabriolet so it doesn’t surprise me that XAD was the only “aero” option selected on yours. The “Carrera Aerokit” might have been available on Cabs but I’m not 100% sure and it has a different rear wing compared to the XAA Aerokit.
The yellow car in my avatar was my car long ago. The aerokit questions are regarding a 996 I am currently looking at buying - just going through all the usual steps of verification of the seller's claims - unfortunately this seller is not a rennlist member.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:04 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 618 Likes on 303 Posts

Yea I saw a white 1999 coupe with that option sticker the strange part for me is seller saying it is a C2 however under front hood clearly shows a C4 fuel tank placement.
Rich
Old 05-21-2022, 12:14 PM
bstaneland
Advanced

A very authoritative source informed me last night that none of the 99 cars ordered with XAA would have been fitted with the aerokit from the factory - all the aerokits would have been shipped to the corresponding selling dealer for install some time after the buyer takes delivery of the car.

The hood/bonnet sticker is affixed during the polishing process of what was actually installed on the factory assembly line, not what the customer ordered.

He recommended I have a high quality automotive painter do a spectral analysis of the paint on the body and the bumpers - if it was the same then it would confirm the installed aerokit was oem installed by Porsche.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:34 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by bstaneland
A very authoritative source informed me last night that none of the 99 cars ordered with XAA would have been fitted with the aerokit from the factory - all the aerokits would have been shipped to the corresponding selling dealer for install some time after the buyer takes delivery of the car.

The hood/bonnet sticker is affixed during the polishing process of what was actually installed on the factory assembly line, not what the customer ordered.

He recommended I have a high quality automotive painter do a spectral analysis of the paint on the body and the bumpers - if it was the same then it would confirm the installed aerokit was oem installed by Porsche.
So you’re telling me that ALL of the hood tags on XAA-stickered cars were somehow created and affixed AFTER the car was delivered to the dealer?…….

Color me skeptical.

A car without the XAA code on its hood sticker simply won’t bring as much as the same exact car with it. If it’s that big of deal to you then ordering a PPS from Porsche is going to be the only way that you’ll convince people that your non-XAA car was built as a real Aerokit car.

Last edited by islaTurbine; 05-21-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:47 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 618 Likes on 303 Posts

I am guessing if you ordered the Aero kit it was on your hood sticker but not installed at factory but at dealer? So white that logic a car with the aero kit on the car was not ordered with the kit from the factory if option code is not listed. Here is a sticker from a 1999 with Aero kit from the factory.
Rich

Last edited by uscarrera; 05-21-2022 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-21-2022, 05:19 PM
bstaneland
Advanced

So you’re telling me that ALL of the hood tags on XAA-stickered cars were somehow created and affixed AFTER the car was delivered to the dealer?…….
No, I didn’t say that.
I said that apparently all MY99 cars that were ordered with the aero kit would not have the XAA code because the hood tag only shows what was installed on the production line, not everything that the customer checked on his option list.

So my next question is… are there any MY99 cars with a hood sticker showing XAA?

The answer should be no, based on the above.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:21 PM
bstaneland
Advanced

Originally Posted by uscarrera
I am guessing if you ordered the Aero kit it was on your hood sticker but not installed at factory but at dealer? So white that logic a car with the aero kit on the car was not ordered with the kit from the factory if option code is not listed. Here is a sticker from a 1999 with Aero kit from the factory.
Rich

Interesting. I’m going to share this with my source and see what he has to say. Thanks for this.

Quick Reply: No way that XAD would include aerokit without listing XAA, correct?