996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What year improved gearbox spider?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 03:02 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts
Default What year improved gearbox spider?

Hey folks, if I recall correctly sometime in the early production of the 996, Porsche made some updates to the transmission (manual) because early gearbox differential spiders were not hard coated? correctly and so they would spall, getting damaged and leaving debris in the gear oil.
I'm wondering what year this change over happened? I might be in the market for the spare tranny and want to get the newer type with the tougher spider if I can.

EDIT - look like G96-01 has the updated parts?

Another question, can you fit a C4 gearbox in a C2 and leave the extra shaft just spinning? or is there a way to remove it from inside and just cap the end of the tranny off?

Thanks!

Last edited by Chris(MA); 05-02-2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:42 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

You can fit the C4 gear box with some minor modifications, The front output can remain in place, but it is best to grind off the 3 ears because the coolant hose routing is different on the C2 cars and there is a clearance issue. To remove it completely you need to remove the tail cover and cut down the output shaft, remove the seal and fit a plug. I run a C4 box in my race car and left the output flange in place.
The following users liked this post:
Chris(MA) (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 02:30 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
You can fit the C4 gear box with some minor modifications, The front output can remain in place, but it is best to grind off the 3 ears because the coolant hose routing is different on the C2 cars and there is a clearance issue. To remove it completely you need to remove the tail cover and cut down the output shaft, remove the seal and fit a plug. I run a C4 box in my race car and left the output flange in place.
Thanks, thats good to know

Quick Reply: What year improved gearbox spider?