Sponsored by:

OT: Laser by CHP from Plane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 07:03 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The arresting officer is considered to be with the plane. It is not the guy on the ground. If you go to court, the one in the plane is who will go.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Island Boy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OUCH!!! Now that sure changes things. Look out it's a bird, its a plane, NO, NO, NO, IT'S A SPEEDING TICKET!!!

E
Old 04-27-2004, 07:27 PM
matterhorn762
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*Throat clearing*

The plane does have to communicate with the vehicle via radio... easily picked up by a scanner in advance.

Ok, ok, I'll get off my soap box. I'm just so happy with my latest install.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:21 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by matterhorn762

The plane does have to communicate with the vehicle via radio... easily picked up by a scanner in advance.

yes...it does.

if you ever get the opportunity to hear this sort of operation on a scanner, its very interesting. the SPOTTER (not the pilot) in the aircraft will say:
"ok...we have one coming to you....(patrol car rolls down ramp) Green car...center lane....3rd one to you....2nd....thats the one. (when the patrol car pulls in behind the correct vehicle) that is indeed the correct vehicle" and then will give the readings they observed: the number of seconds that it took the vehicle to travel thru the zone (usually 1/4 or 1/8 mile) and the corresponding speed (read off of a chart that the spotter has).

the spotter in the aircraft is the officer who has issued the ticket.

matterhorn - btw...i just got back from the run from cincy to miami. had a few instances where the new scanner alerted us to the presence of a patrol car before the V1 did. in some cases the scanner was the only warning as they didn't have radar fired up and were already busy with 'another satisfied customer' on the shoulder.

all-in-all a good little extra toy. i run it with the volume turned all the way down as the 'alert' tone is independent and kept on high. this way, i get the 'alert' beep without all the scanner chatter that i don't really need. worked well.

Quick Reply: OT: Laser by CHP from Plane?