LNE Nickies 3.4 to 3.6 or 3.8 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 12:16 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Improved low torque

Originally Posted by SealG996
Acceleration times tell us about the "top end of the curve" success of the tune. How are other aspects of this tune? Idle, low end part throttle response, grid lock traffic behaviour? Low speed behaviour such as reverse parking? How is the mid range response in overtaking a slow lane blocker?
I felt like a lost a bit of low end torque when I went with the catless x pipes, now a different monster above 4,000 rpms. The low end torque is back now and then some with the tune. In my opinion more down low, it’s hard stating it but I’m willing to bet if you measure from baseline, more hp and torque down low gains that at the top end. Which is what fvd was telling me about their tune.
Old 04-11-2022, 12:17 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Some guys here in Texas???

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Len Hoffman or send, Skip, Porchetech3 a pm, he has a guy or 2 in tx that he trusts.
is that what you are saying?? Good headwork here in Texas?? Please confirm. Thanks DJ.
Old 04-11-2022, 01:29 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Len Hoffman or send, Skip, Porchetech3 a pm, he has a guy or 2 in tx that he trusts.
Good info!
Originally Posted by yaz996
Had Hoffman do oversized intake valves and and his Stage 1 porting on my 3.4 to 3.8 build. I think his exact words regarding the oversized valves on a 3.8 were "cheapest power you can add to that engine".
Very interesting. Noted.
Originally Posted by 996C438
Len Hoffman is doing my heads . Doing big valves with what he calls Stage 1 porting . He knows his stuff , I would describe him as a subject matter expert . He doesn't come cheap ( rightfully so ) and his wait list is fairly long .
You want the best, there is usually a cost associated with it. Just out of curiosity how "not cheap" are we talkin?

Awesome info. Thanks guys!
Old 04-11-2022, 02:34 PM
996C438
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam-Son
Good info!

Very interesting. Noted.

You want the best, there is usually a cost associated with it. Just out of curiosity how "not cheap" are we talkin?

Awesome info. Thanks guys!
I received a discount ............ think of a friends and family discount so I am not willing to provide the price . Plus I had a spare set of heads that he evaluated and took in as credit .
Old 04-11-2022, 02:47 PM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Received 846 Likes on 344 Posts

I was out the door for under $3k including round trip shipping and insurance, but that was December 2019. Think there have been recent posts on here quoting significantly higher prices.

Last edited by yaz996; 04-11-2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:51 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Got it. I just want a ball park so I have some notion of what to budget for.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:16 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 790 Likes on 506 Posts

Acceleration times tell us about the "top end of the curve" success of the tune. How are other aspects of this tune? Idle, low end part throttle response, grid lock traffic behaviour? Low speed behaviour such as reverse parking? How is the mid range response in overtaking a slow lane blocker?
Yes and an ***-dyno is a very unreliable measurement...I'm just sayin'
Old 04-12-2022, 05:40 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Ball park figures.

Got it. I just want a ball park so I have some notion of what to budget for.
Hoffman has two price list. He sent them to me and I posted them here maybe January or February. Anyway here is ball park. 1. Head work including his stage one porting which he says is good for 3-4 percent improvement in the flow bench. Between $2-2.3k. If you are going big valves with the stage One work which he stated improves flow 14 percent on the bench, you are over $4k, with all the other little thing could easily be a $5k job. I spoken to a few shops that build engines, prep race cars and most say if you go big valves you should definitely go with different cams. This is all on his 3.4 price sheet. I didn’t gather specifics about which cams duration and lifts they would recommend but that’s going to depend on what the purpose of the car is going to be. I
think I saw some shrick cams for maybe $2500. In my whenever build I’m going je pistons and I’m going to stay at 3.6, I would be paying the extra for the stage one porting but I’m not going big valve.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:14 AM
Reebuck1
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 996 Rebuild

Just finished my 2001 3.4 rebuild to a 3.8 from L&N. It turned out great!!! Go to 3.8 and do not look back. Followed Jake Rabey directions after attending his class and it was much easier than i thought.
Biggest issue was getting parts timely.
Can't believe the torque increase with the displacement bump. You will love it. took me about 60 days to complete. You have to go to L&N tech site to get good answers to your detail questions. They know what they are doing but you have to get the right person. Good luck!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Reebuck1:
SealG996 (04-12-2022), wildbilly32 (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 11:57 AM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
Hoffman has two price list. He sent them to me and I posted them here maybe January or February. Anyway here is ball park. 1. Head work including his stage one porting which he says is good for 3-4 percent improvement in the flow bench. Between $2-2.3k. If you are going big valves with the stage One work which he stated improves flow 14 percent on the bench, you are over $4k, with all the other little thing could easily be a $5k job. I spoken to a few shops that build engines, prep race cars and most say if you go big valves you should definitely go with different cams. This is all on his 3.4 price sheet. I didn’t gather specifics about which cams duration and lifts they would recommend but that’s going to depend on what the purpose of the car is going to be. I
think I saw some shrick cams for maybe $2500. In my whenever build I’m going je pistons and I’m going to stay at 3.6, I would be paying the extra for the stage one porting but I’m not going big valve.
Fantastic info. Thank you!
Originally Posted by Reebuck1
Just finished my 2001 3.4 rebuild to a 3.8 from L&N. It turned out great!!! Go to 3.8 and do not look back. Followed Jake Rabey directions after attending his class and it was much easier than i thought.
Biggest issue was getting parts timely.
Can't believe the torque increase with the displacement bump. You will love it. took me about 60 days to complete. You have to go to L&N tech site to get good answers to your detail questions. They know what they are doing but you have to get the right person. Good luck!!
Seems everyone sings the praises of the 3.8
Old 04-17-2022, 10:51 PM
SealG996
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts

Is everyone running stock cams with the displacement bump?

Trying to sus out the receipe here. Nickies block to 3.8. Head/port work. Stock DME....
On Facebook "The Porsche Engine gurus" an Australian Ross Head has home built an LN3.8 Nickie build. He was kind enough to inform me he is doing well on reconditioned stock heads and untouched engine management. LN have completed my 3.8 Nickies, I'm waiting on the deluxe rebuild kit. Even though mine is a torque focused build it will see dyno time, what can be done with cable throttle ECU, or if I have to go further. After a displacement increase a better flowing exhaust is on the list as well.
Old 04-18-2022, 11:44 AM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

On Facebook "The Porsche Engine gurus" an Australian Ross Head has home built an LN3.8 Nickie build. He was kind enough to inform me he is doing well on reconditioned stock heads and untouched engine management. LN have completed my 3.8 Nickies, I'm waiting on the deluxe rebuild kit. Even though mine is a torque focused build it will see dyno time, what can be done with cable throttle ECU, or if I have to go further. After a displacement increase a better flowing exhaust is on the list as well.
Please keep us posted as your build progresses. Sounds like a good one.

Quick Reply: LNE Nickies 3.4 to 3.6 or 3.8 Questions