Sponsored by:

C4S - Someone Lied to Us!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 05:55 PM
FXHottie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by nsxtbone
Hey no problem. Next time let me know ahead of time when you want to race rather then taking off while we are entering the highway and when almost I catch up claim I am getting smaller in your mirror? Also letting me know would give me time to roll up my windows, put my top on and turn my a/c off. Heck now I am excited that Acura must have lied to us owners about how fast our cars are also!!!!!!
Better still, why not repeat the testing until definitive results can be reported?

Based upon the conflicting reports I have heard about his contest from both participants, no one should have any reason to dispute published Road & Track test results for these cars.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

FXHottie,

If Road & Track were to be believed, the NSX should have caught and passed the C4S and that certainly wasn't true. The NSX did fall back in my rear view mirror, although I can't say if that is because he let off the gas, was applying some brake, needed to shift and didn't, had too much aerodynamic drag with his top open or what. The fact is that so many factors come into play (tire pressure, fuel, etc.) that magazine tests are usually pretty worthless and should never be quoted as a definitive source of information.

I was actually more surprised at how easily I ran down the C4S cab given what Porsche advertising materials had said about it, although as one user above pointed out, I don't know if he had a tiptronic or a 6spd, even so, the margin of difference was surprising to me.

Although these are only 2 instances from the street, I have several others from the track where the C4S has outperformed other cars that on "paper" it supposedly couldn't. Palting has found this to be true as well with his experiences with the Ferrari.

C4S owners should rejoice!
(Besides I think the C4S won the "best looking" 911 thread awhile back)
Old 04-21-2004, 07:02 PM
FXHottie
Intermediate

Originally posted by Ghost Rider
FXHottie,

If Road & Track were to be believed, the NSX should have caught and passed the C4S and that certainly wasn't true. The NSX did fall back in my rear view mirror, although I can't say if that is because he let off the gas, was applying some brake, needed to shift and didn't, had too much aerodynamic drag with his top open or what. The fact is that so many factors come into play (tire pressure, fuel, etc.) that magazine tests are usually pretty worthless and should never be quoted as a definitive source of information.
Perhaps Road & Track testing isn't as definitive as it could be. However, you still haven't established that your testing method, consisting of a single pass on a public road, was more accurate than R&T's testing methods.

Moreover, it appears there are two different accounts of the results of your testing.

Therefore, I was suggesting that the value of your data could be improved if you would repeat the testing several times, and perhaps try to secure a more controlled environment. An impartial observer might be helpful as well.

BTW, the differences in acceleration performance between the NSX and the 996 reflected in the R&T testing were minimal, and probably statistically insignificant.

Then again, if your testing truly reveals that your car accelerates significantly faster than the 2002 NSX, it could be that the R&T editorial staff was bought off by Honda and they altered the test results appearing in the magazine to make the cars look comparable.

Finally, if R&T testing isn't a reliable source of information, and your test methods are reliable, then maybe you can start your own magazine. I'd call it "Good Killz" or "Street Racing With the Boyz".
Old 04-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

The premier issue of Car-B-Que Magazine.
Inside, the do's and don'ts of putting out your car...
Fire extinguishers, do we really need them?
Falsifying police reports...
How to escape your burning vehicle, and report it stolen...
Posted speed limits, fact or myth...
Old 04-21-2004, 11:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Finally a car magazine with useful articles! Sign me up.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:08 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Ghost,
Sorry I picked this thread up late. One additional variable is the "break-in" status of the engine, and the relative freshness of the tune. Another smaller factor is the fuel load.
Guys who break-in the engine by hard use tend to have a looser engine with more power. For the most part, more miles also results in more power, if the state of tune is equal. The Road and Track extended tests frequently show their cars to be faster at 40,000 miles. Bob's conclusion from his gas experiment may be valid. But an hour running near redline may have completed the break-in too.
Weight is also critical. The cab is certainly heavier, and add another 100 lbs if it's a tip. 10 gallons less in the tank also equates to about 70 lbs. If there is also a driver weight discrepency, the sums can get significant. I'm sure someone will correct me, but I'd guess that if all the factors were in your favor, you could be talking about a 300 pound difference compared to the cab.
The Accura saga is hard to interpret since I have little NSX experience. It sounds like you went thru several gears, so speed in shifting may have had an effect. I'm presuming the NSX driver used the entire rev range, since that is another car that needs to wail to make hp.
If I'm just wrong on all accounts, congrats on having a quicker-than-average C4. AS

Quick Reply: C4S - Someone Lied to Us!