Sponsored by:

Replace Caliper Bolts ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

There is a lot of speculation here. Most if these comments are theoretical and come from people that do their wrenching behind a keyboard.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
There is a lot of speculation here. Most if these comments are theoretical and come from people that do their wrenching behind a keyboard.
When it comes to technical matters, doesn't it make sense to put your trust in someone who spends their time at a keyboard, reading and learning about important matters as opposed to someone who is capable of using a wrench or a screwdriver? A child can use a wrench. That doesn't make the child an expert on automotive repair.

Don't get me wrong - I believe that people who work on their own cars can offer unique insights based on their experience. However, it doesn't mean that they are experts by any means. It's one source of input that should be considered along with the knowledge offered by research, reading and learning from others.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:03 PM
weldingmachine
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha you could spend 365 days researching all you want, but when the info your are reading is wrong.. your wrong..plain and simple. Again why a guy that does it himself will always be a lot more informative then some yahoo on a keyboard.

And why is a 10 year old thread being brought back to life??
Old 12-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
The reasons for replacing or not replacing are both theoretical. Both sides of the issue can point to no problems from their way of doing this as proof their theory is the correct one.

My final comment is I would advise one to check with the parts manager or senior tech at a dealership or a trusted/highly regarding indy shop to get the latest info regarding this subject. It could be Porsche has rescinded the recommendation to replace the bolts if the caliper needs to be removed. I haven't bothered to check on this in several years. When it comes time to do my Turbo's brakes and if I decide to do them myself, when I buy parts this is what I will do.

Or if in the experience of the of the tech you rely upon for advice/counsel regarding your car's care/servicing is that caliper bolt replacement is unnecessary -- if you feel comfortable listening to your tech and you should otherwise IMHO you are using the wrong tech -- then do what he advises.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by weldingmachine
hahaha you could spend 365 days researching all you want, but when the info your are reading is wrong.. your wrong..plain and simple. Again why a guy that does it himself will always be a lot more informative then some yahoo on a keyboard.

And why is a 10 year old thread being brought back to life??
This thread was brought back to life because it discusses information that was discussed in a related thread. You made some posts in it, as you may recall.

As far as your thoughts on research, it comes down once again to who you trust. Anybody who researches anything in earnest will look at multiple sources of information. I agree that if you only look at one source and that source is wrong, then you will make decisions based on bad information. However, I disagree with your assumption that somebody who works on their car is somehow a credible source of information. Anybody can work on a car or claim that they work on a car.

Let's look at you as an example. You claim to be knowledgable because you work on cars. Nobody here really knows that. You could be a certified Porsche mechanic, and you could be a guy who just opens the hood and gives it a try. Nobody here knows you. Based on that, I wouldn't trust your advice over my own research, under any circumstances. Based on your previous posts, any reasonable person would assume that you are clueless, and wouldn't follow your advice. If somebody who does their own work is wrong about something and you take their advice, then you're making a decision based on bad information.

Hopefully you understand the point I'm trying to make.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:45 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You could be a certified Porsche mechanic, and you could be a guy who just opens the hood and gives it a try. Nobody here knows you.
It would help us if you would give your thoughts on the IMSB, CEF's, and MOF issues!
Old 12-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KrazyK
It would help us if you would give your thoughts on the IMSB, CEF's, and MOF issues!
He seems to have thoughts on everything... so he probably will!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:55 PM
weldingmachine
Intermediate

please.. you have no idea about it yourselves.. so why would i give you very useful info only you have you say.. "that's not right, my bill said otherwise"??

This thread says.. "use Loctite products" again, anybody with common sense knows this.. not some post jockey that post to see himself talk..

Last edited by weldingmachine; 12-26-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

You make my point once again weldingmachine. As I mentioned in previous posts, I don't know why Porsche recommends replacing the bolts. That's the reason that I follow the recommendation rather than question it or trying to pretend that I know more than the manufacturer.

Why do you display such negativity towards everyone on this board? Did somebody here do something to you that made you angry? Do you feel inadequate in some way? Everyone is trying to help, and you're insulting people and trying to pretend that you know everything. Your attitude doesn't make you look knowledgable, it makes you look like a fool. I feel sorry for you because you feel that you have to act this way.

I'm finished discussing this with you.

To quote Mark Twain: "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I'll take that advice.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Adker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite:

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 12-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

That is a good one!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:50 PM
weldingmachine
Intermediate

hahaha.. so calling me names make you better and right.. I see..
Old 12-26-2013, 10:34 PM
nymart
Instructor

weldingmachine...I don't know if you type all of your posts from your phone and don't check to see if spell check replaced words on you or if this is how you really speak but you'll have a lot more credibility if you speak proper English in your posts. Not trying to act like the grammar snob, but if someone puts forth a coherent response like Dennis has at least 3 times now and each time you respond it looks like a second grader typed it, it kind of makes it hard for the rest of the people here to take you seriously or trust your supposed knowledge.

Just some food for thought...
Old 12-27-2013, 01:35 AM
weldingmachine
Intermediate

how sad is it that a "second grader" can pay cash for the cars that yall so cherish and think so highly of.. and pretty much treat it like a Honda..

Dennis is a nut swinging poster that just repeats whats he reads or heard.. he even admits to not working on anything and doing whatever someone tells him... but because hes just post a lot and been around a while.. hes treat as a expert.. its comical to say the least..

I honesty could care less if someone looks down on me.. its the internet.. land of make believe and fairly tales..

One more food for though.. if im such a "amateur", why am i getting PM;s from people asking what i think on such subjects and what would i do?? hmmm
Old 12-27-2013, 02:34 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL, there is no way this guy is for real. He either does not even have a 996 (no pics posted) and is some kind of super-troll or he is another member just putting us all on using his alter ego account. Either way hes very entertaining. Doubt he will last much longer.

Quick Reply: Replace Caliper Bolts ?