996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Community Review and Comment Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 04:47 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 147 Posts

Just got my 2001 in late November. Due to a few tiny specs of metal in the filter, I decided before I even drove it to have a major service done. I did everything that required the motor to be out to do, as I had no record of it ever being out of the car. It cost me, but I am glad I did it. While talking to two or three people who have owned a lot of 996 cars, I had a long discussion about doing the sump baffle, UAOS and the low temp thermostat. They all echo'd the same advice. If you are not tracking the car (yeah, once or twice for a fun run it OK), running mainly on the street, then there is really no benefit to doing any of those three. A replacement AOS should be good for quite a while (mine, after 56,XXX miles) was still in excellent shape, but I replaced it as a precaution. I drive 99% of the time on the street, in all weather, so a low temp thermostat was NOT recommended. As for the sump baffle, that is a nice upgrade and, as funds permit, I may be inclined to do that, but it is not a necessity. I have summer tires to purchase and some other things I want to take care of before I spend $$$ on that.

I did notice no mention of plug boots. Two of mine were leaking, so I did them all

This is just part of my early education into the P-Car world, your advise from other may vary.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:08 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 176 Posts

Hmmm. Will check on the plug boots.
Thanks
Old 01-18-2022, 05:17 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSDVC
Just got my 2001 in late November. Due to a few tiny specs of metal in the filter, I decided before I even drove it to have a major service done. I did everything that required the motor to be out to do, as I had no record of it ever being out of the car. It cost me, but I am glad I did it. While talking to two or three people who have owned a lot of 996 cars, I had a long discussion about doing the sump baffle, UAOS and the low temp thermostat. They all echo'd the same advice. If you are not tracking the car (yeah, once or twice for a fun run it OK), running mainly on the street, then there is really no benefit to doing any of those three. A replacement AOS should be good for quite a while (mine, after 56,XXX miles) was still in excellent shape, but I replaced it as a precaution. I drive 99% of the time on the street, in all weather, so a low temp thermostat was NOT recommended. As for the sump baffle, that is a nice upgrade and, as funds permit, I may be inclined to do that, but it is not a necessity. I have summer tires to purchase and some other things I want to take care of before I spend $$$ on that.

I did notice no mention of plug boots. Two of mine were leaking, so I did them all

This is just part of my early education into the P-Car world, your advise from other may vary.
Is this a plug boot?

Old 01-18-2022, 05:50 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
Is this a plug boot?
That's a coilpack. I think he meant spark plug tube. Those have o-rings that can be replaced.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:58 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,724 Likes on 883 Posts

I believe spark plug tubes only came in engines in earlier .1 cars. A C4S being a .2 car does not have those. While the engine is out and fluids drained, I'd have them replace the 2 O rings that seal the heat exchanger connections. Those can leak and would be a super easy swap right now.

Last edited by plpete84; 01-18-2022 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:49 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Default Update and Progress Report

Hi All:
Well, my car has been sequestered at the dealer for 3 weeks while the work was being done. But safe and sound in a super clean environment being worked on by competent people. we ended up dropping the engine and transmission as it made most of the work items much easier due to access. Before dropping the engine the oil sump was removed and inspected for debris, metal or other. Nothing was found. While all this work was being done, many photographs and videos were recorded.
So here is what we accomplished:
1. Replaced IMSB with LN retrofit version (not "Solution")
2. Replaced rear main oil seal
2. Replaced clutch
3. Replaced flywheel
4. Checked and reset engine timing where necessary
5. Checked and adjusted 4 wheel alignment
6. Replaced and balanced 2 rear tires
7. Balanced 2 front tires
8. Refinished 4 wheels
9. Flushed cooling system and replaced anti-freeze
10. Changed oil and filter. Added M1 0-40 synthetic
11. Replace spark plugs and ignition coils
12. Replaced engine and cabin air filters
13. Replaced AOS
14. Replaced fuel injectors
15. Replaced water pump
16. Replaced thermostat
17. Replaced cooling water surge tank
18. Replaced serpentine belt and all rollers
19. Replaced engine mounts
20. Inspected MAF sensor-not replaced
I was very pleased throughout with the competence and courtesy of the staff including the techs and manager. I was in about once a week to check on progress and they were extremely courteous in reviewing the work, showing me the old and replacement parts, and their approach to the work. As well as sending pictures and videos by email. I highly recommend this dealer.
The techs have done an extensive road test, and my turn is tomorrow.
Rick
Old 02-01-2022, 04:12 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 378 Posts

I'm curious on the fuel injectors did they use the Porsche branded ones that are about 10x the price of Bosch. It being a dealer I wondered if they use non Porsche branded parts. I know the Bosch are hard to get now.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:15 PM
hkovalcik
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts

@Lady Silver just curious, did you ask them to keep the old parts?

I have serious trust issues with mechanics and yes, even dealers, but sounds like you're having quite an inclusive experience (which is good...)
Old 02-01-2022, 05:40 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
I am interested in your reasoning that replacing it could result in "...unnecessary stress on the motor..." In what way?
Thanks again Rick
As I understood Hartec of England's position; replacement IMSBs have a thin bearing shell which can be distorted during installation and have a greater chance of failure than an original undisturbed one. In our 996.2 we have the highest rate of failure factory IMSB (single-row) with 120k miles, and are leaving it in place until we do an elective overhaul at hopefully 180k or so miles.

If we were changing AOS I would replace coolant tank at same time because we had the intake manifold off and that would have made replacement vastly easier. We had crank position sensor and fuel pump relay fail, so would change both of those low-cost but necessary to keep from being stranded items.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:06 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hkovalcik
@Lady Silver just curious, did you ask them to keep the old parts?

I have serious trust issues with mechanics and yes, even dealers, but sounds like you're having quite an inclusive experience (which is good...)
They offered all the old parts to me but the only ones I kept were the plugs and the IMSB. I did inspect everything that came out, and the new parts that went in as the engine was sitting on a stand and I went in to visit a couple times a week. And yes, this was a singularly great experience with this dealer
Old 02-03-2022, 07:09 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996.2
As I understood Hartec of England's position; replacement IMSBs have a thin bearing shell which can be distorted during installation and have a greater chance of failure than an original undisturbed one. In our 996.2 we have the highest rate of failure factory IMSB (single-row) with 120k miles, and are leaving it in place until we do an elective overhaul at hopefully 180k or so miles.

If we were changing AOS I would replace coolant tank at same time because we had the intake manifold off and that would have made replacement vastly easier. We had crank position sensor and fuel pump relay fail, so would change both of those low-cost but necessary to keep from being stranded items.
Yes the tech suggested swapping out the coolant tank as they do fail and it was sitting there with easy access as the engine was on the stand.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:11 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hbdunn
I'm curious on the fuel injectors did they use the Porsche branded ones that are about 10x the price of Bosch. It being a dealer I wondered if they use non Porsche branded parts. I know the Bosch are hard to get now.
I'm pretty sure they used the Porsche sourced injectors. Will check later today.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:10 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hbdunn
I wanted to get back on this.
Definitely Porsche branded, around $300 each.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:55 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,298 Likes on 1,729 Posts

Pricey... but if it fits your budget and comfort level then good 4 u.

im cheap and dont trust anyone
The following users liked this post:
hbdunn (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 03:23 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Right you are. As I mentioned in another thread, Porsche is an expensive car, with needed and expensive maintenance. I was well aware of that when I came back in. So I was prepared for it. Some guys can DIY, and that's great.
But, in my experience, BMWs, 'Vettes, Z28s, when you put your foot down there's nothing like it......

Quick Reply: Community Review and Comment Please