996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Interior color customization...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Interior color customization...

I have a boxster red interior on my 996 and I'm looking to paint some of the surfaces in silver (the same shiny silver as my shift **** and door trim)
Currently the surfaces are the salted speckled black color...

I'd like to hear from other members who have a uni-color interior with aluminum upgrades... can anybody post pictures of their interior?

queston
If we paint the left and right vents... do we do the vent casing only or the "air-flow" directors in the vents (the grid part... whatever i'ts called ) also I would imagine the air flow on-off **** is also silver...

I'm thinking of doing the center console, (including vents) down to the CD case holder, the shift console, parking brake, gauge cluster, left and right vents (including grids...) also the 1/4 trim that spans the width of the cockpit along the dash...

I already have the boxster red steering wheel and am getting the steering column and associated "spotted black" pieces painted boxster red...

the trim underneath the windshield will be painted boxster red to prevent glare and provide an integrated look...

I love boxster red... I don't like black on boxster red... silver would look killer..

I welcome all pictures of interior... regardless of color... I'd like to get an idea of what the stock full color interior looks like and what people are doing out there...

cheers

Peter
Old 04-18-2004, 01:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's my interior. Have the AS rear centre console, wheel, door pulls, bin covers, and aluminum gauge surround rings and side mirror control. Next up......the radio/ac surround, A/c vents, and the 3 strips that run from one vent to the other.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Thanks!

ok cool... I think we are trying to do the same thing!! I like your steering wheel... was that a custom job or did you buy it like that?

I was thinking of doing the chrome surround rings against the aluminum backdrop....

Pete
Old 04-18-2004, 02:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Bought it all. The interior was totally graphite grey upon delivery....BORING!!! So, I decided to do a black (gear shift, ebrake, tray, bin cover, mats) and graphite grey interior with hints of AS. Kinda personalizes it
Old 04-18-2004, 06:12 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

When you're ready let me know. We stock the alumalook and other painted interior parts, or can make them for you, at much less than stock parts.

eric@bumperplugs.com

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Eric,

I'm getting my friend to take the parts out and paint them... he's very good at it as they do Porsche's, Ferrari's and loads of high end stuff.

regards,
Peter
Old 04-18-2004, 07:44 PM
netrophile
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been working on my interior for some time now-nearly finished! I have used metropole blue leather with dark burr wood and arctic silver trim in combo. Mine was also like yours-boxster red with sparkly plastic. I wanted it to have a bit more than just arctic silver-thought the red and silver looked a bit too much like a Christmas present. Nothing wrong with that I suppose!
3 Pics coming up for your perusal. Comments appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2004, 07:46 PM
netrophile
Track Day

Picture 2 now. I ind that the true boxster red colour never looks as nice in pictures.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2004, 07:48 PM
netrophile
Track Day

last one. Had the central bin lid cover specially made.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2004, 07:52 PM
netrophile
Track Day

I am now waiting to get my seatbacks painted arctic silver and put in a tequipment roll cage. Couldn't reist one more picture of the outside.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2004, 08:08 PM
Jmac
Advanced

Netrophile - car looks great! A couple of questions. The rings you have on your gauges seem to match the Aluminum look instrument surround very well - where did you get them? Also - where did you get the crest for the armrest/bin cover? It looks about the size of the steering wheel crest...

Thanks

Jmac
Old 04-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

netrophile,

true boxster red looks better in person... I get a lot of compliments on the interior from guys who just like black and black only!! (you know who you are... lol)

If it was my pick I think metropol blue against silver looks friggen awesome!!

your car looks good... love your center console... on thing you might want to do is have your steering column painted boxster red as well... just get rid of the black and give the wheel a more integrated look...

as for me I am going with the silver backdrop on the gauges but am ordering chrome rings for the gauges... that way I will have the aluminum and chrome look to contrast eachother... I'm gonna post pictures when I'm done... I think my paint will be a little shiner than the T-equipment porsche shade of silver... I've told my guy to model the shininess and luster of the silver found on the stock shift **** and door trim.

thanks for posting your pics!

cheers
Peter
Old 04-19-2004, 02:51 PM
netrophile
Track Day

Originally posted by Jmac
Netrophile - car looks great! A couple of questions. The rings you have on your gauges seem to match the Aluminum look instrument surround very well - where did you get them? Also - where did you get the crest for the armrest/bin cover? It looks about the size of the steering wheel crest...

Thanks

Jmac
Thanks Jmac. I got most of my bits directly off e-bay. The silver rings are brushed aluminium and came from a seller called msroadrace. They are very slightly different from the artic silver which doesn't show in the picture. However this makes them just a little more prominent than the surround and gives a nice reflection onto the surround.
The armrest cover was made for me as a special order by a parts supplier here in the UK. I sent him my armrest cover and he re-finished it for me with the crest. I can e-mail you his details if you want but I cant post them on here (the crest is copyright). He has done a fair few orders for the USA.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:19 PM
GrahamM
Intermediate

Hi Netrophile

Have you found somebody in the UK to do your seat backs, Keith @ Prestige has never come back to me with a price. Summer is coming and I'll be needing my seats soon !
Old 04-20-2004, 06:49 AM
netrophile
Track Day

Hi m8.
Lost your e-mail address.
Got a couple of places that will do my seats. My friend at the OPC said he could do them approx £250 the pair.
If you are interested maybe I could negotiate a better price for the two of us.
Give me a shout and let me know (netrophile@aol.com)
PS have a new baby now to take up all my time-the human variety!!

Quick Reply: Interior color customization...