Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 slow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004 | 08:01 PM
dp35
Pro

I disagree about the Evo and STi "smoking" a 996. My dad has an Evo, and when it was stock it wasn't in the same league as my '00 996. Most of the Evo and STi's claimed 0-60 times are exaggerated, because they're based on basically sidestepping the clutch from near red line, which helps a lot with AWD. Most people won't ever drive their own car like that.

Now that he's spent several thousand dollars on it, the Evo is very impressive, and it is faster than my stock 996. But you can't compare stock to modified.

One magazine I read (I think it was Autoweek) said that other cars are faster, or cheaper, or more comfortable, etc., than the 996, but no other car does everything as well, and that was why they labeled the 996 "the world's best car".
Old 04-17-2004 | 09:21 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Motortrend tested an evo @ 4.6 seconds to 60 and 13.08 seconds in the quarter mile...

every other test I've seen on the internet states a 5.5-5.8 0-60 and 14 sec quarter mile... hmmm

also the mototrend test showd 0-100mph in 12.54 seconds... okay, so say the 0-60 is really 5.5 sec... that adds a full second to the 0-100mph at 13.54... 996 is much fast than this to 100 mph...

I can do 4.6 in my 1999 996 (measured with g-tech) it's all in the launch...

also... in gear acceleration is much faster in the 996 due to it's 2 wheel drive powertrain vs. 4-wheel drive...

by the way... you keep launching an evo like that and you'll be replacing clutches quite frequently!!! another magazine (speed) compared the EVO to a dirt bike and the EVO's clutch was fried by the end of the race... hmmm

on highway... 996 destroys the EVO... I think the EVO is the BEST MARKETED (... ) car out of JAPAN!!! great value with no refinement whatsoever... Japanese magazine have also been known to lie about their results... as for the motortrend #'s I bet that's shady as well....

Look for the new EVO RalliArt to be realeased... 300HP and 300 LB-FT, extra gear as well.... it also sheds 300 lbs!!! this car will be fast

www.track-challenge.com settles the argument but you got to be impressed with the new RalliArt (I mean on a value basis!!!)

Last edited by Tbred911; 04-17-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2004 | 10:54 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

I love Porsches too ( my 02X50 is my fifth), but if somebody blindfolded you, put you in an Evo and told you it was a C4, you'd say, "Gee, they improved the steering". If the $ don't matter, you get the Porsche. If they do, then the EVO. The EVO is much more a drivers' car than the STI. The STI has major understeer, while the EVO can be drifted by a novice. The EVO positively lures you to drive faster and faster. Unfortunately, both look dog-ugly to me.
If the EVO looked like a Porsche, a 350Z, or a Corvette, Porsche would struggle to sell another coupe. If the girl who was best in the bedroom looked like a dog, you'd have a hard time convincing yourself to get married. That's the EVO's problem to guys who like Porsches. If you haven't driven one, forget the numbers and try it. By the seat of your pants, the C4 isn't faster, at least at speeds you can reach on the street. At the track, I believe the Porsche would be significantly faster, every time you could get over 80. Just my opinion, but I'd be interested in anybody else's who has driven both enthusiastically. AS
Old 04-18-2004 | 12:37 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Alexander,

I have a younger cousing who can't stop raving about the EVO... i will be making a trip out there soon to drive it...

your right about the looks of the EVO... hopefully the RalliArt will look better with a more upscale interior... the WRX STI has a great interior but the understeer does suck...

Mitsu needs to build a good looking shell.... but some people really like the Rally Look!! and it is getting more popular... also from what I hear of the Mitsu... the ride will punish you to death cause it has race car setup...

but for performance the RalliArt is claiming 4.3 0-60 and 12.9 in the 1/4 with some serious handling to boot... this is STOCK..... of course you will spend $500 on chip and be doing the 1/4 in 12.5...

I think it's great that competition creates a better value for the consumer....
I bet a lot of car companies are pissed at Mitsu for creating the RalliArt...
Old 04-18-2004 | 02:17 PM
Miraculix
Pro

Originally posted by fahren affair
a stock evo will not outrun a 996 above 100 mph...ask me how i know

a zo6 'vette on the other hand will run and hide from a 996 and pull a substantial lead at the track.

i love my car because i'm a better driver for it, it demands much more concentration when approaching the limit...something i value, since i'm all about self-imptrovement.
It's not fair to compare the "new" Corvette against the "old" Porsche

Z06 VS. 997 would be more appropriate don't you think?
Old 04-18-2004 | 07:20 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Last night, my wife and I were coming home from dinner in I95. While we were traveling in the middle lane doing somewhere around 70 mph, a black Evo 8 came up next to me and wanted to "go". Although I never do this, I was curious about this car's acceleration claims after reading this post the other day.

I made sure there was nobody around or in front of me (it was late)....downshifted into 4th gear and let it rip. The Evo 8 driver did the exact same thing at the same time. We accelerated together without pulling each other from around 70 mph to 90 mph and after that, it was all over. I pulled him pretty hard above 100 mph. Afterwards, he came up again and gave me a "what can I do" gesture with his arms and shoulders and then a very complimentary thumbs-up

Just as we slowed down to about 70 again, we tried it again and this time it was a little more lop-sidded from the start. I got up to about 90 mph and then hit the brakes because my exit was approaching. Again, he gave me the thumbs-up

This confirms to me that the Evo 8, although a very respectable car, is not as fast as a stock 996. Personally, I do not care for the 0-60 tests or the stop-light test because they are not real world tests to me! But then again, that is just my humble opinion....
Old 04-18-2004 | 09:30 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Subaru is coming out with a WRX STI WR1 - 315 HP and better ride and handling... 60 in 4.25... this is to answer the EVO RalliArt... this is sick... 4 second rice rockets...

I thin the WR1 will be more of a driver's car... but hope they don't sacrifice daily comfort for race hardness....
Old 04-18-2004 | 10:18 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

I think Bluemaxx got it right. You'd need to be side by side to tell which is faster- and the biggest difference is above 80. I never launch very hard either, since I hate to destroy the driveline. My major point is that, if you are the driver, the EVO feels as fast as the C4 and actually turns in better. It is also easier to drift- not necessarily faster but definitely fun. I am obviously a Porsche nut, but everyone really should try an EVO just to see how enjoyable it is. I'd wait on the STI for any purpose except winter driving because the pronounced understeer is a funstopper. AS
Old 04-18-2004 | 10:30 PM
dp35
Pro

Although I've never driven a C4, I can offer some comparisons of my dad's Evo to my 996 C2. Stock, the Evo isn't as fast as the P-car, but handles and stops real good. In terms of casual street driving, comfort, ride quality, and overall feel, the Porsche is head and shoulders better.

I got to drive the Evo for one session at Laguna Seca, after it had a complete exhaust, cams, and an EXED (sp?) piggyback computer from Vishnu. After having these mods, the Evo was transformed into a rocket! On the track, the handling was excellent, stiffer than my car, which is great on the track. AWD makes the car confidence inspiring and super easy to drive.

As nice as the Evo was on the track that day, it didn't end well. The car had what turned out to be two very minor problems, which resulted in it not being able to be driven home that day. When it did get back on the road, it developed a major noise soon after. This turned out to be a bad transfer case, which got replaced under warranty.

This shows how hard it is to out do a 996. I don't know if the Evo's problems that day were a fluke, but I've learned from modifying things in the past, that it usually affects reliability.

My car on the other hand, was the fastest bone stock car there that day, then provided me with a very pleasant, plush ride home. Are there any other cars that can do BOTH of those things? I know the Evo can't.
Old 04-19-2004 | 01:04 AM
dakar34
Advanced

Blah blah blah ... all cars are compromises - money, acceleration, weight, cornering ... lots of them are fun, and one isn't necessarily "better" than another good one, just different ... blondes, brunettes, redheads ... now that turbo Subie Baja, that thing will do most anything ... and the new RX8 is a hoot ... I like the g35, too ... Miata's can be fun ... and Corvette's are pretty amazing ... but mine's not too bad either ...
Old 04-19-2004 | 01:44 AM
9SIXTY8
Advanced

Originally posted by riad

I know Porsche makes other cars besides the 911, but who cares

Rob

Hey Hey Hey! I care!
Old 04-19-2004 | 01:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

if you really want a fast car, get american iron V8 V10 and supercharge it and ddd a few bottle of nitrous.

if you to drive, then get a porsche.

driving isn't about horsepower.
Old 04-19-2004 | 08:55 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 9SIXTY8
Hey Hey Hey! I care!
It's all good!
Old 04-19-2004 | 10:10 AM
BostonMarkC
Racer

Bah. When I stomp the gas pedal in third gear getting on a highway, and the other cars disappear instantly as I quickly head from 50 to 100 MPH, my C4S feels plenty fast
Old 04-19-2004 | 06:24 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 9SIXTY8
Hey Hey Hey! I care!
Hmmm... '93 PS 968?

SWEEEEEET!!!

Quick Reply: 996 slow?