Sponsored by:

Is KBB and Edmunds price accurate???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 03:06 PM
johnny1423
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there!!
Just an fyi,,,for my day gig, I work for Trader publishing Co(owns auto trader, autotrader.com,automart, etc).
NEVER go by KBB,it is not in line with reality.
Remember, you are investigating a price of a unique, depreciating asset. Every month these vehicles fluctuate in value. It is always advisable to check the ASKING price of similiar vehicles for sale using every available resource. Porsche dealers will be the highest, next other(BMW,Mercedes,etc) dealers will be next, then private individuals. Dealers are in business for profit, but they can throw in or sell warranties.Individuals usually are only trying to get out,but cannot help you in any other way.
Ask your dealer to see the Black Book values. This is a book used at auctions to show different levels of wholesale values.They come out EACH WEEK. Then simply ask him how much profit he needs.
I asked a dealer that i got to know well to shop at the off lease auctions for what i was looking for. I gave him a price range.The cars are listed and described in advance.last year we found a 1999 cab with low miles with a year of factory warranty left.I paid him a small profit,he had no investment, I got the car I wanted for barely over wholesale price.
Hope this helped..good luck!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 03:49 PM
epoints
Intermediate

TrojanMan, Spar10, Thanks.

It's hard not to get emotional about Porsche.....but you are right. there are plenty of Porsche out there.

I will let everyone know what happen.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:45 PM
epoints
Intermediate

Got another question for you all...

I heard the tires wear out very fast on 996, even before 25k mi... So if the car already has 20k mi, am I looking at forking out more money for the tires soon? How much are we talking about?? got any recommendation? Or is this something I can get done at Costco???

thanks...
Old 04-20-2004, 09:50 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

It may already have newer tires on it by 19K miles. If not, plan on buying a set soon. You are looking at $800-$1,000+ for a set, depending on what tires you get.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:05 AM
epoints
Intermediate

Thanks, JIm.

I will calculate the cost into my offer....

any recommendation for sunny southern california driving condition....
Old 04-21-2004, 02:25 AM
spar10
Instructor

do a search here... there are plenty of existing threads that talk about tire preferences.

Quick Reply: Is KBB and Edmunds price accurate???