Sponsored by:

Need Sound Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 09:58 PM
MBH911
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
The stereo in your car is similar to mine when I got it. The factory stereo was completely eliminated. My car had fairly high-end MB Quart speakers and a Pioneer navigation head unit that was top of the line when it was installed in 2006. But, by the time I bought the car in 2019 it was pretty dated and I could tell the install was not up to my standards so I yanked it all out and started over.

I eliminated the door speakers in my car (I too have GT3 door cards waiting to be installed), and I just have the four 4" speakers in the dash and rear to provide the highs and mids. I went with Polk DB-series speakers and I am pleased with them. I built a custom box for the rear deck that houses a single 8" Polk sub as well. I didn't want a lot of bass, and the 8" sub is more than sufficient. I have an Alpine 5-channel amp that powers everything.

I wouldn't call it an audiophile system by any means, but it sounds much better than the factory Bose stereo in my old C4S, it was budget friendly, and the sound quality is quite good considering the mids are only 4". If I were to do it again I wouldn't change anything except the Pioneer head unit I chose because I don't like the UI.

pretty cool. Did you consider any low profile subs that could have fit in the frunk? I’m Only interested in something unseen. Just curious if you have any insight.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:29 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MBH911
pretty cool. Did you consider any low profile subs that could have fit in the frunk? I’m Only interested in something unseen. Just curious if you have any insight.
Subwoofers in the frunk would produce good sound inside the passenger cabin?
Old 01-08-2022, 10:43 PM
MBH911
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUnscented
Subwoofers in the frunk would produce good sound inside the passenger cabin?
in the frunk would probably be far less effective. I don’t know. my guess is it will have to be something that fits behind the passenger seat, maybe mounted vertically against the rear “foot wall” (I made up that term) and facing the seat. There’s a JBL sub that might work.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-itWLFL...kaAg6TEALw_wcB

Last edited by MBH911; 01-08-2022 at 10:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TheUnscented (01-08-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 09:55 AM
Boff
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 109 Posts

My plan is to try something similar to a guy on the 911uk forums did…he bolted a Focal powered sub horizontally under the passenger side dash. I can’t find any details but will explore when my car comes out of storage. You can see a bit of it in this pic; he had a leather covered fitted which I won’t bother with.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t...asc&start=1020
Old 01-09-2022, 03:58 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 165 Posts

I like what he did to his back seat area.........makes it useful and ads a bit of storage to a model that doesn't have a lot !
Old 01-10-2022, 07:49 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,500 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUnscented
Capt. Obvious Thanks for the response. That looks great. How did you design the box? There seems to be a whole science for those things-I've pulled the rear seats and have a half-cage (DAS Sport) to further complicate things.
Do you have any photos of how you got the speakers attached to the speaker grills?
If you aren't competing in a sound quality or SPL competition and just want a good sounding box, it's not too difficult. The most important factors are that the box is airtight, rigid (thick enough material), and the internal volume is correct for the sub. In the case of my sub, it requires a .75 cubic foot box. I achieved that by playing with dimensions until I had the volume I needed.

Putting the sub in the frunk works on air cooled cars because of how they are constructed. There is actually quite a bit of space between the frunk and cabin on 996s, and thus no where for the sound to travel between the two. I looked into making some sort of port between the frunk and cab of my car, but I couldn't bring myself to cut up the car in that way, nor could I find a good spot to do it.
Old 06-05-2024, 04:34 PM
kingoftabloid
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very short question :)

Hello,

I'am hoping to reach out to you. I was replacing my rear speakers but the depth is very shallow due to the factory sound insulation. Would cutting a hole and inserting the speakers have an adverse effect in the music sound? or would it harm the car?

Sorry for the newbie question but I am stuck in the middle of installation.

Any response is appriciated.

thanx in advance.

h.

Originally Posted by MBH911
On my 99 996 coupe - I recently put in the following. (Sorry, but it’s easier to just post pics of the boxes. Trying to start my weekend). But first I’ll tell you that

a) I could have spent more on speakers and the amp, but I wanted CLEAN sound with quality mids and highs, and decent bass WITHOUT a sub woofer. It turns out I didn’t need to spend more. This set up worked out really, really nicely.

b) I reserve the right to add a self-powered Nakamichi (or other)small form factor sub in the frunk at a later date.

c) What I ended up with ($2,000 installed) is a really clear, punchy, surprisingly balanced sound. A sub would definitely make this system complete. But I’m just not sure I want to dump another $500 into it yet.

This amp is more than enough to run all six speakers. Four 4” on two channels, and two 5 1/4” on the other channel.

These speakers in the doors, but with the tweeters mounted inside the dash housings - really helped make the separations jump out in ways I’ve never heard, from musicians I’ve been listening to for 40 years

These speakers in the doors and in the rear panels. I didn’t know JL Audio offered a budget speaker line ($99 a pair!) so these were a definite find.

Pioneer double DIN with Apple Play. Went with this over Alpine because my car audio guy and his techs urged me to use this one instead. Told me the display would be much better in daylight and it is fantastic. “Some” of the user interface is a little cumbersome but nothing terrible

here’s a shot of the amp and the crossovers mounted in the frunk. Pretty simple.

Lastly, I don’t work on my cars. This is one reason why. It would make my head spin and I’d screw it up for sure.

Old 06-05-2024, 05:31 PM
kingoftabloid
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'am hoping to reach out to you. I was replacing my rear speakers but the depth is very shallow due to the factory sound insulation. Would cutting a hole and inserting the speakers have an adverse effect in the music sound? or would it harm the car?

Sorry for the newbie question but I am stuck in the middle of installation.

Any response is appreciated.

thanx in advance.

h.
Old 06-05-2024, 08:33 PM
996-CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 175 Posts

I'm going to suggest, without any real knowledge that the sound insulation is to keep sound out, not to protect the speakers. If you cut out just enough to insert the speakers, you should be OK. But you might make sure there is enough space if you cut it out. You can probe the space available with a pocket knife.

Quick Reply: Need Sound Advice