Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Connect the dots: White smoke, Oil in coolant hose, misaligned camshafts, plastic in

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 10:16 PM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Feels somewhat rewarding when a problem is traceable. The brown plastic pieces came from the bank 2 chain guide (tensioner side). The good news is that the broken profile nearly perfectly matches the pieces in the sump, so no need to chase more plastic shrapnel elsewhere.

The following users liked this post:
Eurocarguy911 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 10:24 PM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

Default Chain marks or is that from factory?

Saw these scratches in the head. At first I figured they're caused by loose chains. I had never heard rattling or unusual noises. Then again my ears may need calibration. But aren't these marks too straight and too close to the gear of the camshaft itself to be caused by chains? Is it possible that these marks were already there at the factory?

Old 10-07-2021, 10:37 PM
Mpfaff
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Possibly factory deburring of casting flash?
The following users liked this post:
JohnCA58 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 10:43 PM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mpfaff
Possibly factory deburring of casting flash?
Makes sense, thank you! For some reason, I figured Porsche would at least smooth out the appearance, rather than play with my head!
Feeling so much more reassured now....Thank you!
Old 10-08-2021, 09:56 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Yup, casting flash clean up by Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles! That tensioner pad looks pretty new. Normally when they get old they turn dark brown and get grooved by the chain. Yours doesn`t have any of that.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:14 AM
Eurocarguy911
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek9xx
Feels somewhat rewarding when a problem is traceable. The brown plastic pieces came from the bank 2 chain guide (tensioner side). The good news is that the broken profile nearly perfectly matches the pieces in the sump, so no need to chase more plastic shrapnel elsewhere.

This is good news! It's worn, but it doesn't look as bad as some others I've seen.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:04 PM
Tarek9xx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Imo000
Yup, casting flash clean up by Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles! That tensioner pad looks pretty new. Normally when they get old they turn dark brown and get grooved by the chain. Yours doesn`t have any of that.

Thanks and I'm very happy about that. It's the only spot with wear and breakage. This does beg the question on the tensioning system design. I'll never be more informed than the Porsche engineering team, so I won't second guess them. Just wondering why the breakage (and chain slap) would happen on the shaft side, near crank and IMS, and not on the camshaft side. I'm thinking not enough chain wrap around the crank and IMS sprockets. So may be they're restricted by the basic engine layout, in terms of chain wrap and tensioner placement.

Additionally, with all the Porsche technology, I would have expected a hydraulic tensioner with measurable force or travel by the DME, so you'll know exactly when the tensioner is starting to be lazy about doing its job, and possibly compensate for the slack until replaced. I know its easier said than done, but these cars are supposed to be high performance cars, made for flogging with longevity, and cost an arm and a leg when new, so for an extra $5000, I'd say it's a feature many will choose over luxury or comfort features, like heated seats and rearview camera, or non performance related muffler sound option. Just sayin'...from my imaginary design workshop

Quick Reply: Connect the dots: White smoke, Oil in coolant hose, misaligned camshafts, plastic in