996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bad accident. My 944 is gone. RIP

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004 | 12:02 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

OK, let's let the vultures out:

How much for the rear deck carpeting and what kind of condition is your dash in?

Old 04-11-2004 | 12:21 AM
bet
Drifting

Originally posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I'd be careful getting in a legal pissing match over it - they might be able to claim some sort of negligence on your part for obviously not wearing the seatbelt.
This will depend on the state. For example, in Indiana even though it is a state law to wear your seat beat and you can be ticketed for not wearing it, an argument of contributory negligence for injuries suffered in an accident where the injured party was not wearing a seat belt can not be made (even if you can show that the injuries could have been prevented from wearing the seatbelt). There is a lot of case law with regard to this issue. Of course the laws are different in each state so check with an attorney that is licensed in your state.
Old 04-11-2004 | 01:45 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Sorry to hear of this accident. Glad to are OK!

You may want to find the latest valuation of 944's in Excellence magazine, or email Bruce Anderson for a copy. This may help to determine a value..
Old 04-11-2004 | 01:59 AM
Adam Roberts
Instructor

Sorry to hear.... I can't imagine what I would do if it happened to me.

If they total the car.. (in which they most certainly will) they're required by law to give you local market value for the car (at least in the State of Florida where I live)

Most insurance companies will offer you a lowball figure of Kelly blue book value. That means something ridiculous around $1500... just be sure you can get local market value for the car.

When I wrecked my previous car (A Dodge neon) they gave me an initial offering of $2200 minus the $500 deductable. We fought back and forth and I wanted $6000 for it... ... but we settled on $5000 with a $500 dedudctable + tax cause I found the perfect car for me.. my current 86 944 N/A with limited slip

good luck.
Old 04-11-2004 | 02:14 AM
jbdmd
Pro

glad you are ok and sorry for your lost

when i was an er resident i once saw a women in a crash who was not wearing her seatbelt, was thrown through her windshield, then run over by her own car! After 9 agonizing months in the icu and several surgeries she finally died of an infection which was a complication of one of her many surgeries

be safe brother!
Old 04-11-2004 | 03:26 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Angry Seatbelts

NEVER for any reason whatsoever, NOT wear your seatbelt!

I don't care how close you are too your home! Most of the worst accidents happen within a 5 mile radius of your home!

I'm glad you survived, though. Goes to show how great our cars truly are.

Please do see if insurance will take the Porsche club price for your car!

Best of luck.

- Julie

Quick Reply: Bad accident. My 944 is gone. RIP