Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

AOS to crankcase breather vent valve? Replace or - and which hose is this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 02:35 PM
P9C
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default AOS to crankcase breather vent valve? Replace or - and which hose is this?

Ok, this relates to that another thread but decided to start a new one because this is more about that valve itself.

Two questions - is that valve recoverable or should I just get a new one. If that is the case how that is removable - what kind of connection is the bottom one - is it possible to just rotate and lift that?

Another question - what is that long vertical hose that goes next to that valve - how to remove that - I'm not familiar with that connection. If I could remove that it would give a lot more room to try to remove that valve. That's quite a tight spot as you can see from that generic image.

Last edited by P9C; 07-31-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:42 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

You really should invest in a service manual.
Are you asking about the power steering line?
Old 08-02-2021, 11:46 AM
P9C
Racer

Yes - I actually already found out that one (learning curve here). Looks like it is better idea to remove that vent valve without removing that power steering line because it's a too much of a work.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:36 PM
gbarron
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by P9C
Ok, this relates to that another thread but decided to start a new one because this is more about that valve itself.

Two questions - is that valve recoverable or should I just get a new one. If that is the case how that is removable - what kind of connection is the bottom one - is it possible to just rotate and lift that?

Another question - what is that long vertical hose that goes next to that valve - how to remove that - I'm not familiar with that connection. If I could remove that it would give a lot more room to try to remove that valve. That's quite a tight spot as you can see from that generic image.

I just removed this valve on my car yesterday to replace the leaking o-ring...there is a bolt you cannot see behind the valve holding it down. I did unbolt the harness bracket in front of it but did not need to remove any hoses. I used a 10mm 1/4" drive swivel socket on a long extension to remove the retaining bolt. The tougher part was disconnecting the valve from the plastic piping without damaging anything, but by squeezing the large outer ring and slowly working the valve off it did the trick.

Last edited by gbarron; 08-03-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:47 PM
P9C
Racer

Originally Posted by gbarron
I just removed this valve on my car yesterday to replace the leaking o-ring...there is a bolt you cannot see behind the valve holding it down. I did unbolt the harness bracket in front of it but did not need to remove any hoses. I used a 10mm 1/4" drive swivel socket on a long extension to remove the retaining bolt. The tougher part was disconnecting the valve from the plastic piping without damaging anything, but by squeezing the large outer ring and slowly working the valve off it did the trick.
Ah, good to know - thanks. I haven't received that valve yet - looks like it's going to be some fun for the weekend. So I'll need to take a closer look at the whole thing because based on that front view it appears as if you could just lift the valve. Just wondering what kind of bracket is there. I'll need to clean that area properly and i'll try to take some pics just in case it might help someone who needs to replace that as well.

I wonder how many of those who have had AOS issues haven't noticed this. At least it appears as if this relates to AOS issue.... or? Mine was broken so I would assume that this relates to that somehow.

Last edited by P9C; 08-03-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:00 PM
gbarron
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by P9C
Ah, good to know - thanks. I haven't received that valve yet - looks like it's going to be some fun for the weekend. So I'll need to take a closer look at the whole thing because based on that front view it appears as if you could just lift the valve. Just wondering what kind of bracket is there. I'll need to clean that area properly and i'll try to take some pics just in case it might help someone who needs to replace that as well.

I wonder how many of those who have had AOS issues haven't noticed this. At least it appears as if this relates to AOS issue.... or? Mine was broken so I would assume that this relates to that somehow.
There isn't a bracket holding the valve down, just a bolt through a flange molded in the valve body. Once the bolt is removed you can lift the valve out of the case. BTW, these are very simple valves, it just has a on-way check valve inside. Unless the spring inside is broken or the plastic housing is damaged they are reusable. Is there something specifically wrong with yours?

Quick Reply: AOS to crankcase breather vent valve? Replace or - and which hose is this?