996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Compress the slave cylinder rod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 03:45 PM
ChrisI
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Compress the slave cylinder rod?

Just wrapping up my horrible clutch/flywheel/imsb job and I just need to reinstall the slave cylinder.

I left it attached to the hose when I removed it, and now the pin is fully extended

Is there a way to compress it back similar to a brake caliper piston?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by ChrisI; 07-24-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:30 PM
DSC800
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I did this job in January and found it to be fairly easy taking about an hour to install and bleed. From my experience you should remove the cylinder from the hose (plug or pinch the hose), fully compress the cylinder on your bench, then use a wetted dust plug in the inlet so suction will hold it 70% compressed against the spring. This should make it easy to install, just compress enough further to get the two bolts in.

For bleeding, this was easy too. You want the bleed fitting to be at the highest point so that last air bubble will find it's way out. For this you want the car canted so the right rear is low with the front left slightly higher. I think people have trouble bleeding completely because they do it while the rear is still elevated and that last air bubble won't go downhill.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:21 AM
Y2KARRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I recently did this as well and pushed the pin in against the side of the trans and then used a small vice grip style tool without teeth and clamped the hose so the pin stays retracted, installed without effort after this.
The following 2 users liked this post by Y2KARRERA:
amargari (07-26-2021), Mpfaff (07-25-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 04:21 PM
z driver 88t
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

I did a transmission swap on my 996 a few weeks ago due to a bad pinion bearing (cheaper to install a used low-mileage transmission than rebuild the old one). Anyway - like you I left the hose attached to the clutch master cylinder. I was able to compress it by hand, basically putting it into position and just pushing firmly towards the rear of the car until the mounting bolt hole lined up to get it threaded. It definitely took a little force, but not impossible.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:30 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by z driver 88t
I did a transmission swap on my 996 a few weeks ago due to a bad pinion bearing (cheaper to install a used low-mileage transmission than rebuild the old one). Anyway - like you I left the hose attached to the clutch master cylinder. I was able to compress it by hand, basically putting it into position and just pushing firmly towards the rear of the car until the mounting bolt hole lined up to get it threaded. It definitely took a little force, but not impossible.
Same here both times...
Old 07-28-2021, 03:50 PM
ChrisI
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I was able to release the bleeder port and attach a makeshift catchcan for the fluid. After a ton of attempts I was finally able to get it to compress enough to fit in place. Didn't even need to bleed the system afterwards!
Old 06-24-2023, 03:31 PM
Outatimemk
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I am struggling with this as we speak. Perhaps I’m just weak, I really cannot get this thing to compress enough to get a bolt in. I bled some fluid.

Did you mean that you continuously bled fluid while bolting it in?
Old 06-25-2023, 07:47 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,525 Likes on 1,858 Posts

Lower the trans some so u can get some leverage on it. Bleading fluid wont help unless u leave the screw open while u push on iy and start the bolts. Then u will have to re-blead the clutch hydros because u will loose too much fluid.

Quick Reply: Compress the slave cylinder rod?