Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 02:07 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts
Default Finally solved the 996 stereo dilema, ultimate install planned

This is wild looking, heh.

http://www.soundstream.com/sub/products_amps_human.html

I think this will be pretty spooky sitting down in the bottom of the front trunk lined in black. Besides, the specs are pretty impressive on this thing, but they should be for the price. I will be running it at 2 X 125 front channcels and 1 X 500 bridged rear channels for the sub, ID MAX.

Problems of Bose speaker grill crap resolved:

My shop is going to fabricate new panel/grills so that I can now use the speakers I want. The are pulling those Bose crap wierd shaped stuff out, cutting a larger hole and then refabricating the wall and covering it in leather perhaps.

The rear speakers will be the Dynaudio 240GTs, turned way way down so that they are for imaging only and can not be distinctly heard.

Front speakers will be:

Dynaudio 170s, 2.5s and scan speaker revelators tweeters. They will probably all be installed in the door carpet trim and a custom made kick panel by where your feet go.

Fronts will be powered McIntosh 6 channels with an Audio Control DQX serving as crossover and eq functions.

McIntosh 4000 head unit will be the source unit. Hopefully will be done by Saturday if the Human Reign comes in by Friday. I will post pictures particularly of the speakers placement issues and the side wall fabrication in the rear.

Last edited by Doug H; 04-07-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:35 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I think we have found Han Solo! (Not trying to give away my age, but those of us in the 30/40 something crowd understand this....and some star wars geeks). Oh how I remember this amp at the theatre back in my youth (single digits).

Dell
Old 04-07-2004, 02:48 AM
Gnome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Finally solved the 996 stereo dilema, ultimate install planned

Originally posted by Doug H
This is wild looking, heh.
That sure is! Did you consider mounting somewhere inside the car, so you can see it (and it can see you)?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:58 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Second the star wars analogy same age group. Kind of spooky in the trunk.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:07 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Kinda...NO its just plain Spooky!!! Not my cup of tea...Hey but if you like it that's all that counts...enjoy!!
Old 04-08-2004, 01:11 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by LVDell
I think we have found Han Solo! (Not trying to give away my age, but those of us in the 30/40 something crowd understand this....and some star wars geeks). Oh how I remember this amp at the theatre back in my youth (single digits).

Dell

RE: Human Reign amps

Funny. I just saw the same comment on a review on this amp when it came out a few years back.

The original Human Reign amps were actually upward of $ 40,000. They were the real artist's works. I looked for about 2 years and only found a single copy (work amp) available for $ 4,500.00 used with no warranty. They really just started producing this thing in quantities where it can be obtained for a realistic price. I paid just a hair above $ 2k and feel lucky to have found one. You see them listed, but when push comes to shove, no one can get one for you.

This thing is pure class A circuitry and has phenominal electronics. For those thinking this thing is weird, scan some of the real high end stuff at the link below. High end audio stuff is strange looking, but expensive stuff.

http://www.exoticaudio.org/Exotic_Audio.html
Old 04-08-2004, 12:11 PM
delliott00
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug,

I agree with you. Back in 89-90, I worked for a company that was a high end audio installer and a soundstream dealer. I managed to talk Chris Dragon (of Soundstream and Nakamichi fame) into giving me a few amps for my car so I could use it for demos. He gave me a Class A 50-2 and a Class A 100-2. Awesome units. Best soundstage you could buy at the time.

A few weeks ago I dusted them off and installed them in the 996 after leaving them on the shelf for the last 10 yrs. The sound is still amazing.

Interestingly, I went on ebay and found that there is still a large following for the Soundstream Class A amps, and that they're worth more now than 10 yrs ago.

I won a few IASCA trophies in the 50w class with a single CA 50-2 running 12 speakers in my old Rx7. Nothing could touch it at 1/2 ohm.

-Dave
Old 04-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Cannot beat Class A. Class A just draws a lot of current. The McIntosh are also class A. Some of their more powerful amps, however, are class A up to say 150 watts and then change to A/B because the draw would be too much for a regular car charging system.

Quick Reply: Finally solved the 996 stereo dilema, ultimate install planned