Sponsored by:

2001 996 door latch

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 11:26 AM
nolift996
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Forgot to post this video

at first the drop down stopped working. I replaced the out handle micro switch which didn’t fix it. And then when I took the latch out i found this. It starts to freak out when you hold the hatch in your hand and move it around slightly.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:02 AM
nolift996
Instructor

Happy to reply back to say that the URO part was nearly an exact replica of the Porsche part and retains every function of the Porsche part. Holding the Porsche part and the URO part in my hands you can barely tell of any quality difference. This was not the case with the other Chinese VW unit that I bought (and didn’t end up working anyways). The window drop problem has been solved and functioning 100%. All lock/unlock features work with the key and inside the car. The door closes and latches properly, not changes to the feel of the latching or opening of the door between the Porsche and Uro part. The illuminated lock/unlock button is now off on the dash.

Driver side - 8N1837015C
Passenger side - 81N837016C

As mentioned earlier i did get an eBay VW part that was supposed to be a cross to the Porsche part, however it was an 8 pin unit and the Porsche has a 9 fin unit. The part numbers are very ambiguous. For example, One letter at the end of the part number throws the hole can be the result between an 8 pin and a 9 pin unit. My suggestion is to stick with either a genuine Porsche part or buy one of these URO units. I paid $125 shipped with tax and I believe the genuine Porsche part was in the range of $525-$550 for the passenger side unit after shipping and tax. The drivers side unit is a bit cheaper.

***NOTE - my car does not have the alarm option (or at least I don’t think). It is an 01 996.

When you go on the URO website or eBay or any other automotive website that carries this URO part they say it does not fit the 996, and only the boxster. I’m confirming that it does in fact fit.

hope this helps someone else out there. Happy wrenching!!

The following users liked this post:
wyovino (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 05:47 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

I took my latch apart and found the solder that hold the connector to the board were broken. some flux and a re-flow fixed my flaky latch. Everybody talks about the switches when I bet it's broken solder joints most of the time. The latch is not hard to work on
BTW, I have extra passenger side latch (the expensive version) I bought off ebay and I verified it works if anyone is interested

Last edited by dougn; 06-13-2021 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:17 PM
nolift996
Instructor

Originally Posted by dougn
I took my latch apart and found the solder that hold the connector to the board were broken. some flux and a re-flow fixed my flaky latch. Everybody talks about the switches when I bet it's broken solder joints most of the time. The latch is not hard to work on
BTW, I have extra passenger side latch (the expensive version) I bought off ebay and I verified it works if anyone is interested
i did check this on mine and it was not broken
Old 06-13-2021, 08:52 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nolift996
i did check this on mine and it was not broken
I couldn't see mine until I got it under a microscope FWIW
Old 06-13-2021, 10:41 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by nolift996
Happy to reply back to say that the URO part was nearly an exact replica of the Porsche part and retains every function of the Porsche part. Holding the Porsche part and the URO part in my hands you can barely tell of any quality difference. This was not the case with the other Chinese VW unit that I bought (and didn’t end up working anyways). The window drop problem has been solved and functioning 100%. All lock/unlock features work with the key and inside the car. The door closes and latches properly, not changes to the feel of the latching or opening of the door between the Porsche and Uro part. The illuminated lock/unlock button is now off on the dash.

Driver side - 8N1837015C
Passenger side - 81N837016C

As mentioned earlier i did get an eBay VW part that was supposed to be a cross to the Porsche part, however it was an 8 pin unit and the Porsche has a 9 fin unit. The part numbers are very ambiguous. For example, One letter at the end of the part number throws the hole can be the result between an 8 pin and a 9 pin unit. My suggestion is to stick with either a genuine Porsche part or buy one of these URO units. I paid $125 shipped with tax and I believe the genuine Porsche part was in the range of $525-$550 for the passenger side unit after shipping and tax. The drivers side unit is a bit cheaper.

***NOTE - my car does not have the alarm option (or at least I don’t think). It is an 01 996.

When you go on the URO website or eBay or any other automotive website that carries this URO part they say it does not fit the 996, and only the boxster. I’m confirming that it does in fact fit.

hope this helps someone else out there. Happy wrenching!!
Great info! I'm guessing that a lot of original latches will be failing after 20 years or more of service.
Old 07-16-2024, 04:25 PM
mrm996tt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to say thank you to this post. I ordered the EuroParts lock and it works perfect!
Old 07-18-2024, 10:38 AM
eryou
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Late to the party, but I ordered a URO 1388358-UR-8N1837016C from AutohausAZ and it was a quick and simple 30min install and the part works flawlessly. I did not disconnect the battery or the exterior door handle and had zero trouble. I did swap the little shroud bit over from the original, though I watched a YouTube video where the guy did not take that step.

Quick Reply: 2001 996 door latch