996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OT:Is "Ricer" a derogatory term?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 01:36 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Jeeva, I always felt that ricer referred to the car, not the driver. Always thought it was short for rice-burner (engine), not rice-eater. Either way its not particularly complimentary, but its not meant to be derrogatory to a particular race, since out here there are more non-asians in hopped up asian cars than there are asians.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Did come off a little strong, didn't I? Sorry about that. It did just hit the wrong button.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Palting, I think you said what had to be said. And it was well put and to the point.

Over here in the UK, nobody would know what the hell you were talking about if you said "ricer". It must be an American Colloquial term. But after reading your post, it is clear that it is meant to be racist and derogatory.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:34 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Asian whofind this racist.

Im Chineese born in this country who live in a predomiately asian area in LA. The term ricer may seem offensive, but I don't take it that hard. It depends how it was used. If it was referiing to the people who drives the car, then it is a racist remark. If it refers to all asian built cars it is offensive. I think the better term is rice burner. You have to look at how the term is used. LA is the hot bed for sport compact modified cars. I'm some what old school so I know about the Datsun 510, Mazda RX3 the real old stuff. When guys lowered the cars and put the annoying exhaust we refered to them as rice burners. The reason was two fold. First may be the offensive part is that all of these car were Japanese. The second reason those cars made such a loud whinning noise it sounded like the car was running on alcohol. The term was to refer that it was running on sake. We grew up with this term and even used it ourself. If you were to say look at that rice burner refering to the modified compact sport car then its OK. If its to refer to the drivers or the all asian car its offensive.
Now as far thoes offended take it easy look at the how it was used. I know some people offended by the use of Oriental. I know its not a race and a culture, but don't get too bent out of shape because someone refered to them as Oriental. And to top it all off we use to refer to a guys BMW 2002 that was fixed up like a 510 as a **** Burnrer. So these are not deragatory, just have fun with your cars, we just refer to the cars we don't like in a funny way. Comments on blacks and hispanic taking offense to remarks, it true we should not be calling them thoes, but some take it a little too far. I swear some get offened by the smallest things.

For the record 6'2" 198 is not all that impressive. I'm 6' 195 fit and I don't think I can kick everyones butt.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Default Re: Re: Asian whofind this racist.

Originally posted by jetskied
I'm 6' 195 fit and I don't think I can kick everyones butt.
I'd help you. Between the two of us 6 foot orientals, we should be able to kick any racist's butt .
Old 04-02-2004, 04:20 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get me wrong I know when a remark is racist, but I ldon't take every one of them as one. Hey thanks for the offer, I would help out too.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:48 PM
jbdmd
Pro

I'm 6'2" 180 i have been known to pass out a lump sandwich or two in my day...I will be glad to join my asian brother'n in a scrap!
Old 04-02-2004, 04:51 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Asian whofind this racist.

Originally posted by Palting
...the two of us 6 foot orientals, we should be able to...
I've never seen a pair of rugs beat up on a rascist before...
Old 04-02-2004, 05:28 PM
carrageous
Intermediate

For the record 6'2" 198 is not all that impressive. I'm 6' 195 fit and I don't think I can kick everyones butt.
That's OK. I'm 6'4", 250 pounds. I can't even kick MY OWN butt!

Dain
Old 04-02-2004, 08:05 PM
9 0NE 1
7th Gear

Originally posted by jbdmd
I'm 6'2" 180 i have been known to pass out a lump sandwich or two in my day...I will be glad to join my asian brother'n in a scrap!
5'4 Philipino FOB here that gets offended with the Rice term, but I just look away and don't stress anymore. It use to really bother me but then again, I'm just proud to be who I am. I don't need to show anyone I can kick anyone's butt. I'd rather show them that I could care less. When I first came to this country I use to take offense of being called names due to my back ground, clothing and accent. Worst yet, by my own people (American born Asians).....Needless to say, racism doesnt stop at color.

Don't lose your sleeps over this matter, you'll experience a lot more in our lives, forever. I just look beyond that BS and drive away in my new 03 Porsche, park it next to my Benz, watch the door so that I don't door ding my Ferrari. Finally close the garage in my 1.5M home. ....not bad for a FOB that came here with close to nothing....you can call me anything you want.

Last edited by 9 0NE 1; 04-02-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Asian whofind this racist.

Originally posted by David in LA
I've never seen a pair of rugs beat up on a rascist before...
Now thats funny!
Old 04-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Hey guys, check this "ricer" vs german car race video out! No offense intended. I'm from the Orient myself but I find this real funny.

http://www.realcoolcars.com/multdown/cookrice.html

My 0.02, I was once put my personal touch on my first car with whatever I can afford. Being a car enthusiasts, it makes you feel proud to have the car that you put your labor into. So I say, let's not forget where we came from and give the kids a break. Remember when you were trying to dress up your first car with your $10/week allowance.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:11 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Carrera Mike
My 0.02, I was once put my personal touch on my first car with whatever I can afford. Being a car enthusiasts, it makes you feel proud to have the car that you put your labor into. So I say, let's not forget where we came from and give the kids a break. Remember when you were trying to dress up your first car with your $10/week allowance.
Oh yeah, my first mod was cheap fog lights for my my '72 Celica ST! Then came the black and never painted front chin spoiler

Funny movie
Old 04-03-2004, 06:50 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

pstoppani, I would love to see a 72 celica preserved. By the way, that's a very nice 'anniversary edition' 911 you have.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:20 AM
Myk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Asian whofind this racist.

Originally posted by Palting
I'd help you. Between the two of us 6 foot orientals, we should be able to kick any racist's butt .
Hey - can I join? I'm only 5'-4" but I've studied martial arts most of my life (to defend myself against people who think the term ricer isn't derogatory).

BTW, thanks Palting for helping to set the record straight. Whenever someone asian (like me) mentions that "ricer" is a derogatory word, many on the board jump in to justify why it's OK to use it and how it isn't at all derogatory.

Quick Reply: OT:Is "Ricer" a derogatory term?