Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Corner Balancing for PSS9.. Is it necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 06:51 AM
c2blk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corner Balancing for PSS9.. Is it necessary?

I'm planning to install PSS9 coilover suspension for 2002 C2. Been calling around to find installer, and have found that some shops don't have the equipment to do corner balancing.

Some ppl have said that if you don't track the car, as in my case, you probably won't notice the difference in corner balancing.

What exactly is corner balancing and what does it do to improve performance/handling of car? Can i get opinions on whether it would be essential to do? And if not done does it hurt to tires or car in any way.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would always get corner balance carried out. I don't know about the newer cars but I can feel it when the tyre pressures are 2-3 psi out on my car, I would hate to have the balance of the car out of whack as well. It could affect stability, but would doubt that it would 'hurt' your tyres if you have a full alignment done.

I don't understand why you would spend say USD3000 on suspension and then not get the corner balance done for USD200?????????????
Old 03-30-2004, 10:16 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first advice would be that if a shop doesn't have the equipment to corner balance I wouldn't let them work on my suspension. It's a clear indication that they don't have much experience. All you need are four scales which any good shop would have.

What is corner balancing? Just what it sounds like. Balancing the weight that is supported by each tire. The easiest way to think about it is to think about a chair with adjustable length legs. If each leg is the same length, then each will carry the same weight and the chair will be stable.

If, however, one leg is longer than the rest, it and the leg opposite it will carry more than their share of the weight and the two others will carry little if any. The chair will be very unstable.

As you can imagine, you can also shift the weight around, side to side (NASCAR) and front to back to optimize the car for a given track or purpose.

In the most basic corner balance, you will equalize the weights of the drivers rear plus the passenger front to the passenger rear plus the drivers front. i.e. all four wheels are on the ground.

So, do you need to corner balance for the street? Probably not. I'm not sure you could ever tell the difference on a street car. It's pretty easy to set the coilovers to the same length side to side. On the one hand, I'm with Christer. Why not? It's not that expensive and like I said. If the shop can't do it you shouldn't use them anyway.

Hope this helps.
Jim
Old 03-30-2004, 03:29 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would corner balance the car. If your spending the money on a $2000 suspension then why not spend the extra $ to corner balance. If you change the suspension the car needs aligning and corner balance is only a nominal cost. I live in So. Cal most shops charge $150 for corner balance and alignment. Once the balance is done it dose not need to be done again unless the hieght is changed. You may find yourself going to an autocross so it can come in handy.

Quick Reply: Corner Balancing for PSS9.. Is it necessary?