996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

SOT: Caterham Super 7 (long...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004 | 11:29 AM
Ghost
Intermediate

Talking SOT: Caterham Super 7 (long...)

After a couple of track events in my '02 996, I came to the conclusion that I'd rather have a dedicated track car. Don't get me wrong, the 996 is a brilliant performer, but I just couldn't throw it around with the same abandon like I did my M Coupe. There was this little guy on my shoulder saying, "Hey, this is an $80,000.00 Porsche, what in the hell are you doing"? After many unsuccessful attempts of trying to smack that little guy off my shoulder, I decided to look for a dedicated track car.

Well, I've always been a fan of the E30 M3, in fact I had one, but I was always afraid (seems to be a common theme here, alright I take Paxil) the engine would explode = $10K!!

I really enjoyed the M Coupe, but I already had one of those and their handling at the limit is...um...unpredictable (almost said "scary").

I'm not a "ricer" though there are many Japanese cars that really go like gangbusters out on the track., ie. RX7, Supra, STI, etc. No, too much of a snob for one of those.

I really missed owning a roadster...hmmm....how about a Caterham Super 7! How different, how novel, how....my wife (picture many curlers in hair) thought I was crazy! "That thing looks like a tin can on wheels." "Yes dear", now I really wanted it! "You'll kill yourself", I could only be so lucky! So I just purchased a '93 Super 7 with a 165hp Vauxhall engine, deDion rear axel, with only 6K miles on her. I can tool around in her during the summer (I live in PA) and I'll take her to the track maybe 10-15 times a year. She arrives in 2 weeks.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy (no rude comments about the Paxil) or does all of this make sense? Have you guys seen these little nasty Caterhams out on the track?
Old 03-28-2004 | 01:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drove one last week and they are great! It's about 7 seconds per lap faster than my 2002 C2 was (notice you have one too) on a short road course (1:13 lap time for the Cat). This one weighed 1,250 lbs with 225hp motor.

Have fun with the Cat!!!
Old 03-28-2004 | 03:01 PM
Ghost
Intermediate

Wow, over 200HP in a Caterham?!!! Hmm, I'm thinking upgrade already!!
Old 03-28-2004 | 05:07 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

don't worry, it's not worth 80K anymore....

hope you're not too tall for the c-ham
Old 03-28-2004 | 08:06 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm with you on the dedicated track car idea, and I'm sure the Super 7 is an awesome track car. But, for a dedicated track car, I prefer something with a bit more protection; I use a '99 M3 for a dedicated track car.

So, becareful out there!
Old 03-28-2004 | 08:58 PM
Ghost
Intermediate

Yes, Jason, you may be right, I may have to get an FIA rollbar ($500.00) to suit my 6' frame out on the track.

Protection...protection...who needs protection?
Old 03-28-2004 | 09:23 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Reduce your Paxil dosage, it's making you slightly manic
Old 03-29-2004 | 12:42 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

As a kindred spirit with a 1973 Super 7 vintage racer (still have strret plates for it) I think you'll feel a bit exposed. You should put a roll bar in, but you'll note there isn't much to weld it to. Side protection is kind of non-existent.
I enjoy my Lotus when I'm on the track with other small-bore cars, but am definitely concerned when there is something bigger and heavier behind me. I think the biggest risk is a mid-corner spin (possibly induced by someone else) and getting t-boned by a 3000 lb. car.
One other factor is race tracks with long straights. A lot of air gets under the front fenders, and I'm usually grateful that the car tops out at 125mph, since it's much less stable than a Porsche at that speed. (My car has a 170 bhp twin cam) Drafting a slipperier car helps a lot, but then you can't see over the car in front too well. If your car has cycle-style front fenders, that would be best. You'll also wnat the ride height low.
So, I think you'll have a great time at shorter tracks, especially if there are mostly small cars in your group. Having a Vette go by at 150 mph might persuade you to back to the Porsche for some events. Add a set of Hoosier race tires, and you'll really enjoy tossing the Lotus around at the shorter tracks. AS
Old 03-29-2004 | 01:19 AM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

ghost-

i think the porsche is a much safer alternative. given the fact that you are much more valuable than any car i would continue to use your porsche on the track. you are worth it!

Last edited by ignacio; 03-29-2004 at 01:41 AM.

Quick Reply: SOT: Caterham Super 7 (long...)