Sponsored by:

New Problem: Sputtering on Start-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Problem: Sputtering on Start-up

Over the last 2 months my 2003 C4S has developed a problem whereby on startup it will initially run smoothly for about 10-15 seconds, then it will start lowering in rpm and stuttering, almost dying, but not quite, then it will rev up and either smooth out the idle and warm up or it will go through the process one more time before smoothing out.

I've been through a few tanks of gas from various stations so I don't think it is a "bad gas" problem.

Temperature has varied from 40 degrees to 70 degrees in the garage and the problem is the same.

It's under warranty, so I can take it in, but it only happens on a cold start-up so I may have to leave it there for awhile after driving it to the dealership. I'm NOT getting any CE lights or anything like that and otherwise the car runs and drives normally.

Any idea what might be causing this?
Old 03-23-2004, 07:23 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I probably would take it in. In the mean time I get some sputtering whenthe car is cold and it rained. I would check you air cleaner and wipe off any moisture in the box that may cause it. Also I take a look at the MAF if there is any oil or moisture on it.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:48 PM
mortonmj
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ghosty..what did your problem end up being? I have the *exact* same problem!

Thanks...Michael
Old 04-07-2004, 01:30 AM
wilam
Instructor

I had a similar problem with my c4s. On a cold start up, I would put it in reverse to get out of the garage and the engine would chug like it was not getting enough gas. My c2 does not have this problem and is smooth on start up. I sold the c4s before the dealer could fix it. They gave me a song & dance about how they could not replicate the problem.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Originally posted by mortonmj
Hey Ghosty..what did your problem end up being? I have the *exact* same problem!

Thanks...Michael
The problem seems to have gone away temporarily (for about 2 weeks, came back one day, and hasn't done it for the last 3-4 days) so at this point I'm waiting until it does it again regularly then taking it in, otherwise I'll get that song and dance about not being able to replicate yada yada yada...
Old 04-07-2004, 06:35 PM
mortonmj
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya...I'm preparing myself now to start this venture. It concerns me because damn my engine bucks like hell when it's almost ready to die and I can longer stand the banging I get when the engine is on the verge of stall. I have also encountered a very slight coolant leak that I suspect is resulting from possible stress on a hose/clamp from the engine buuncing around in there....just speculation.

I cringe every time I start the car so I need to get this resolved. I ran one tank of gas out thinking I got damp gas..but it is still happening.

Thanks for the response...
Michael

Quick Reply: New Problem: Sputtering on Start-up