Sponsored by:

Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 02:31 AM
Sabenza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic

How does the Tiptronic work in "manual" mode? I heard that it is a "torque" converter? What does it mean? More importantly, can you blip the throttle to rev match during downshift or is that bad for the auto transmission?
Old 03-17-2004, 02:38 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

In my amateuish answer is that you don't have to "lift" the accelerator when shifting manufally. You know, of course that the car starts off in 2nd gear unless you manually put it in first.

The transmission is just like most other transmissions IMHO and I don't believe when in manual mode you have to go into neutral, blip the throttle then go into your selected gear. In fact I've never tried it in manual mode. You would have to move the stick over to Auto, then back to manual, then his the downshift button. At least I don't do it that way.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 269 Posts

In my experience with my tiptronic coming from a manual car it works the same without having to depress the clutch. I never drive my Tip in auto mode, I find it terrible for street driving. But Auto Mode on the track was amazing! It up and down shifted almost perfectly.

On the street I always use Manual Mode and I drive it just like I drove my Manual, just w/o the clutch. The great thiing about it is when you get a chance to go fast you can just punch the gas pedal and never have to release it while ****fing.

I like my Tip, but there are times when I miss my manual tranny.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:00 PM
Juan
Instructor

With the e-throttle the transmission ecu can have the engine "blip" itself.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Sabenza
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice.

On twisty back road near where I live, I only uses the Tiptronic in Manual mode and it seems that from 3rd to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st, there is some "blipping" of throttle but it seems that it is not sufficient coz I can still feel a the car jerking into gear. I was wondering if I can blip the gas a bit more to smooth the transition. Any ideas?
Old 03-17-2004, 12:55 PM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll alway feel some "jerk" because the engine is going to speed up causing a combination of sensery changes (louder engine, faster vibration resonance, etc).

If you're downshifting to accelerate, the beauty of the tip is that you can step on the gas hard simultaneously to hitting the downshift button. If you're smooth on the gas it will feel seamless. If you mash the gas it will have as powerful a kick as with a manual transmission (except of course that it will happen faster and both your hands will be on the wheel).
Old 03-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Keyvan
Racer

Has anybody with tip tried shifting from 2nd to 1st while slowing down between 8mph and 4mph...I get a real hard jerk. I now shift to 1st above 10mph or if i'm below 10 while I accelerate. I also figured there is an certain speed to down shift which works perfectly every time. For example if you shift from 2nd to 1st between 15mph and 20mph you can't feel a thing.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:08 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

The Tiptronic is simply a glorified automatic with the ability to manually select the gears sequentially. There is no clutch or e-throttle "blipping", just engine rev matching through the fluid drive of the torque converter. I've read posts about people blipping the throttle while shifting which makes no more sense with the Tiptronic than any other automatic. Other than the electronic controls which make these autos much more user friendly, not much has changed in the past 40 years or so.

People have differing opinions on whether or not frequent manual downshifting is OK for the transmission. IMHO, it is fluid connection so this would definitely cause the fluid to heat up. But as long as the max temps aren't actually exceeded (i.e. on the track in the summer), i wouldn't expect any wear from using this feature within reason...

In regards to the first gear downshifting smoothness, you are manually forcing this gear change to occur when in automatic mode it would not normally occur. As suggested, it's a matter of finding what speeds the transmission is "happy" with the gear changing. For stopping, downshifting all the way to first provides minimal braking benefit, just wait till you're stopped, and select first with no clunk!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:30 PM
redcab
Racer

The engine has so much torque, why bother shifting from 2 to 1 when coming to a stop? It won't bog or stall. As others said, shift to 1 after coming to a stop.

Now if you downshifting is motivated by the need for a quick getaway, just mash the gas, simultaneously hit the shift button and roar away. Works at any speed, even rolling at 1 mph.

I like downshifting the tip when going into a fast corner. Revs build immediately without upsetting the cars balance. Smooth application of the gas make the rev matching very smooth and not jerky.

Message to Don: Did I read correctly that you've never had the shifter in "M" ?! Give it a try, it's like having a totally different car -- and a really fun beast at that! The ecu won't allow over reving (it will automatically upshift near redline) nor will it allow the car to bog down (it will downshift when coming to a stop). Just for fun, click down to 1st gear (in M-mode) at a red light, then floor it on go. wooohoooo!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 03:36 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

No, Redcab, I use manual all the time. I was just suggesting that in order to manually "blip" the accelerator when in Manual mode you need to push the lever over to auto and neutral and then back again. IOW when shifting manually there is no time to "blip" as you would with a manual transmission. Wife always drives in auto tho.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:06 PM
redcab
Racer

Sorry Don for the misinterpretation. I would never accuse you of driving only in "A" !!!

I drove manuals for 20 + years and appreciate the full body driving experience as much as anyone. Yet I still think the tiptronic is best transmission ever (from a user experience perspective...I don't care to argue about the race-reliability of a torque converter since I don't race the car). Floating down the highway, drive in "A". Feeling aggressive, flip it into "M". So many "purists" malign the tip...but most have never even sat behind the wheel of one. My friends sneer at me when they realize what I have....and then I take them for a ride or let them at it. First hand experience converts most skeptics. And for anyone out there looking for "a deal"...check out the pricing of used tip cars - they are always at the low end of the range, just as much fun, and you'll never have a $1K clutch replacement.
-jerry

Quick Reply: Tiptronic