Sponsored by:

Okay, I've decided to keep the car

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 11:07 AM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Okay, I've decided to keep the car

I've been wanting to get rid of the Guards Red 02 9964S for a while now. I bought in July 2019. The car just seemed to nice for my purposes. I prefer hot rodded 911's to stock and didn't want to mess with this fine specimen. Well after a lot of back and forth, I decided to keep and do what I want with it. As far as the motor, 320hp (or whatever it has now) is plenty. These cars have always been more about beauty than speed. I can stare at them for hours. Regarding next steps, I am on the fence about lowering. I prefer the look but as I learned with my old 986S, lowering comes with a couple negatives such as ride quality and parking lot scraping. Also, it took me a month and a lot of weight loss due to nerves when I lowered the 986. Not sure I want to go through that again either.

What I currently have done is ordered Carrera 4S side script in gold. I will then paint the twists to match. I enjoy painting and love the twist styling.
Long term definites : New Exhaust to give a little bit more noise in the cabin. I find these cars have great noise from outside the car but from the cabin, much quieter than I prefer
New Seats - Likely Porsche Sport seats from the period. Sold the ones from my 986 (Dam).
Short Shift - Had in 986S and loved it.
2 kids College to pay for first so I will spread these out over a few years.

Short term and why I posted:
Aluminum foot pedals, sills and bezels.

So as far as these short term items, is there really much difference in foot pedals between the $50 ebay ones and the $250 sets? Will the cheaper ones look lousy after a season or two?

Thanks,
David
Old 08-27-2020, 11:22 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Consider coilovers.
Then you can choose how low you want it, and if you don't like it, you can change it.
I have Feal coilovers and the height is close to factory height.
I'm thinking about dropping it just a little bit now that I don't have humongous speed bumps in the middle of my commute.
If I'd gone with H&R springs and adjustable Koni shocks, like I'd originally decided, I'd be stuck with whatever I got.
The Feals cost about what the H&R springs and Konis would have been.

The following users liked this post:
JohnCA58 (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 11:55 AM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Great steering wheel. Hmmm.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:12 PM
srop816
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

On my 02 4s, I have H&R Springs, Numeric shifter, Tubi exhaust, and GT3 bucket seats. I love every single mod. On smooth roads the ride is very good. On bumpy, sure its more bumpy than say a newer car. It doesn't bother me. Its just a car to drive for fun. This is my first Porsche, so the numeric shifter is all i know. I wouldn't consider it to be really short shifts, but i LOVE it! The tubi exhaust is fantastic! again, it's the only thing i know. I feel obnoxious, but every time i go in a tunnel or overpass i drop it into second gear and floor it. It's absolutely amazing haha, and makes me smile ear to ear! The bucket seats really take the interior to a whole new level. I love them.

The sad news is that this car that i love will be for sale in the next week or 2. I'm just trying to get some good pictures, and figure out how i want to go about selling. I have a TT coming, and can't keep em both
Optionman1 (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 12:25 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Regarding selling, if you want to recoupe any money and if possible, remove any non stock parts and sell separately. That is if you have the originals. Did it with my 986S. Put an extra 3k in the pocket without much labor. Spacers, sport seats, shift ****, hardtop, aluminum caps and sold the originals I didn't want to put back on muffler, springs. $12.5 for car and <3k for parts.

Never heard of Tubi, I will check out. Good luck with the TT. That will be fun for sure.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:27 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

The cheap alum pedal covers are great! I see no reason to pay $200.00 more for a name etched into them.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:34 PM
srop816
Racer

Originally Posted by Argeo
Regarding selling, if you want to recoupe any money and if possible, remove any non stock parts and sell separately. That is if you have the originals. Did it with my 986S. Put an extra 3k in the pocket without much labor. Spacers, sport seats, shift ****, hardtop, aluminum caps and sold the originals I didn't want to put back on muffler, springs. $12.5 for car and <3k for parts.

Never heard of Tubi, I will check out. Good luck with the TT. That will be fun for sure.
Oh yea, I forgot to mention that it has spacers as well. I thought about pulling out the seats and the numeric and put in the TT i have coming, but I don't think the seats match the black interior on the TT as much as they do the grey interior on the 4s. I may still do the the numeric, but the TT has a B&M shifter and i will see how they compare. I think the mods on the 4s really increase the value of the car. It makes it stand out vs the other silver 4s's out there. I was taking pictures yesterday, and thinking to myself, gosh, i love this car!!

I don't know much about Tubi either other than it sounds great. It's almost a German/Italian mix i would say. I hope the TT is fun!! It's almost identical to the 4s, just different engine of course!
Old 08-27-2020, 12:51 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Tubi is super expensive. I'd love it but out of my range, I need to retire someday.

Regarding selling, I thought the same thing about my 986S. I loved the mods but people weren't interested in paying more for the stuff. Not to say you can't find the smart buyer, it could happen. 986 and 996 buyers could be different too. Maybe on BaT. As I was told, patience is key. Someone told me to separate and sell. It helped in my case.

I put the Boxster S (54k on it) up for 15k with all the stuff mentioned above plus new LN retro IMSB, clutch, new soft top roof, brake pads and other stuff (all less than 3k miles on them) no bites. Car was well sorted for years of enjoyment. I get it, they see others with a few more miles for only 10k not realizing all the stuff I did adds up to approx. 20k. This car was very cool. First 100 S (Launch car) to enter the U.S. and a Stuttgart car. Well I thought it was cool.

Best of luck. Hopefully you'll find a smart buyer.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:59 PM
srop816
Racer

Tubi is super expensive. I'd love it but out of my range, I need to retire someday.

Regarding selling, I thought the same thing about my 986S. I loved the mods but people weren't interested in paying more for the stuff. Not to say you can't find the smart buyer, it could happen. 986 and 996 buyers could be different too. Maybe on BaT. As I was told, patience is key. Someone told me to separate and sell. It helped in my case.

I put the Boxster S (54k on it) up for 15k with all the stuff mentioned above plus new LN retro IMSB, clutch, new soft top roof, brake pads and other stuff (all less than 3k miles on them) no bites. Car was well sorted for years of enjoyment. I get it, they see others with a few more miles for only 10k not realizing all the stuff I did adds up to approx. 20k. This car was very cool. First 100 S (Launch car) to enter the U.S. and a Stuttgart car. Well I thought it was cool.

I was shocked when I looked up Tubi price as well. It may be on BaT soon...
Old 08-27-2020, 03:22 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I've been wanting to get rid of the Guards Red 02 9964S for a while now. I bought in July 2019. The car just seemed to nice for my purposes. I prefer hot rodded 911's to stock and didn't want to mess with this fine specimen. Well after a lot of back and forth, I decided to keep and do what I want with it. As far as the motor, 320hp (or whatever it has now) is plenty. These cars have always been more about beauty than speed. I can stare at them for hours. Regarding next steps, I am on the fence about lowering. I prefer the look but as I learned with my old 986S, lowering comes with a couple negatives such as ride quality and parking lot scraping. Also, it took me a month and a lot of weight loss due to nerves when I lowered the 986. Not sure I want to go through that again either.

What I currently have done is ordered Carrera 4S side script in gold. I will then paint the twists to match. I enjoy painting and love the twist styling.
Long term definites : New Exhaust to give a little bit more noise in the cabin. I find these cars have great noise from outside the car but from the cabin, much quieter than I prefer
New Seats - Likely Porsche Sport seats from the period. Sold the ones from my 986 (Dam).
Short Shift - Had in 986S and loved it.
2 kids College to pay for first so I will spread these out over a few years.

Short term and why I posted:
Aluminum foot pedals, sills and bezels.

So as far as these short term items, is there really much difference in foot pedals between the $50 ebay ones and the $250 sets? Will the cheaper ones look lousy after a season or two?

Thanks,
David
My curiosity is getting the best of me. Care to share some photographs of this car. Glad to hear you're keeping it.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:31 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

With the magic of photoshop. The wheels will be a flat gold with flat gold script. Don’t like, I pull off.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:32 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

B

But flat gold.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:55 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 329 Posts

In the end its your car and you should do with whatever you want with it. For mufflers consider the Top Gear ones from eBay. My muffler seams were starting to split and I didn't want to spend 1000+ on a catback. The mufflers fit well, I just purchased OEM hardware, see no reason to spend a ton of money on a catback. I would spend more for quality catted pipes and headers though.
Argeo (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 05:26 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

I didn't want to hijack thread, I sent you a PM with a short video of Tubi on a 996
Old 08-27-2020, 05:29 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 329 Posts

I just noticed the photoshop of the wheels. I really like the gold, I was going for a color like that but mine didn't quite come out like that. I think going satin or matte would have helped.

Quick Reply: Okay, I've decided to keep the car