Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

where to get an oil starvation kit for 02 996?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 04:57 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

if you observe carefully, on tight turns on street tires, the oil pressure drops down to the '2' mark at relatively 'high' g-loads. I don't have even R compounds on my car for the fear that this is going to grenade my motor.

I've been told by my Porsche mechanic that all you really need to do is to make sure the oil is full (up to the maximum mark on the electronic oil level measurement and on the dipstick. It should present no problems with R compound tires, then.

Racing slicks on the other hand, I'd assume that you should have other problems like getting that welded in roll cage and the interior stripped out on the street car, right?
Old 03-18-2004, 05:04 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The kit from brey krause is only $200 and it is an extension for the oil pan that ads half of quart of oil.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:40 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is oil starvation going to replace RMS as the number one issue for 996 owners that worry too much to worry about?

Does anyone actually know someone that has had an engine problem caused by oil starvation? I've been on this board for years and I club race a 99 996 without the OS kit and I've yet to see or hear of anyone actually having a problem. If I recall correctly, the message from Porsche warned of sustained high g load left hand sweepers. For that reason they warned against tracking a 996 with racing slicks without the kit. If you've ever driven a car on a track with slicks you will know just how far removed it is from street driving or DE on R compounds.

BK is a good company but I think they've come up with a solution that doesn't have a problem.
Jim
Old 03-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

We are all making too much of nothing, IMHO. At least for the 3.6L 996. The supposed oil starvation issue, if it is even an issue, may (stress MAY) come about only if driven at exceedingly high G's while using racing slicks. On the street or at the track with street tires or R compounds, the only way you will achieve those G's is if you hit a solid object while going sideways. Oil starvation is the last thing to worry about in that instance.

Here's a video I put together to illustrate the point. Sorry for the poor quality, but I don't have a dedicated video server so the file size has to be small: TURNS

These were street tires, and I've gone and done generated more G's with R-compounds (sorry, don't have a video of those, yet). JimB certainly easily surpasses any G's by me with his 3.4L race car. Not a hint of oil starvation, no 0 oil pressure nor warning lights. Just a lot of fun. You guys be the judge. Think more G's can be generated on public roads?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:21 AM
NiveK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if G's where the only issue that contributed to the oil starvation then obviously mine wouldn't have done what it did, but since i was just driving normally for me anyways, and using OE tires, i still got oil starvation, so it does exist, and it doesn't have to be a certain amount of G's nor do you have to be running racing slicks
Old 03-19-2004, 06:56 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

NiveK,

It's the first time I've heard of oil starvation while driving normally. I'm pretty sure that it's not normal. Don't take this suggestion the wrong way, but if your dealer says it is normal, I'd get a second opinion from another dealer.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:05 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

NineK,
Seeing your oil pressure gauge dip in a corner and oil starvation are two different things. My racing mechanic explained the starvation problem to me a couple of years ago. I won't try and repeat it because I'll get it wrong but it's a fairly complex problem having to do with circulation and foaming, yada, yada.

I would be very interested in why your gauge dips around a corner. Maybe it's a sensor thing and is common. I've never watched mine. Or, maybe it's a different problem. I'm pretty confident though that it's not the "oil starvation" issue that motorsports created the kit for.
Jim
Old 03-19-2004, 11:33 AM
NiveK
Racer

ya i don't know why it does it either, but it can be duplicated, and when i mean normal driving im simply saying im not using slicks nor on a track, but i was certainly taking the corner hard enough it felt like one of my lungs went out the window
Old 03-19-2004, 11:42 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

NineK,
Hard like this?
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2004, 12:21 PM
NiveK
Racer

maybe harder, i think when i turn i see rubber dust flying off the screaming wheels

Quick Reply: where to get an oil starvation kit for 02 996?