Sponsored by:

"clacking" brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default "clacking" brakes

Brought the car out several times this early spring. Noticed a "clacking" sound first time I applied the brakes. It sounds like the sound the brakes make after sitting overnight following a car wash. Thing is, it reccurs intermittently the whole time now. It seems the pistons/pads are stuck, then get unstuck everytime the brakes are applied. There is no binding, no pulling while the car is running to suggest the brakes are stuck, though. Brakes work fine otherwise. Pads an rotors are relatively new.

Just wondering if this has anything to do with the colder weather. Anyone here have a simillar experience? If it persists, it's going to the dealers to get checked out.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:36 PM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have the same symptom every time i washed the car.. then the replies came advising that you should run your car for some time around so that the brakes get dry from the washing water..

overnight?! never happened to me.. have you go so much humidity in your area?

waz
Old 03-16-2004, 05:49 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think its cold weather, I've used my car all winter in the Northeast, had it out on days when it was -2* F, never had any noise from the brakes...
Could it be something assoc with the brake fluid? Do they need to be bled?
Old 03-16-2004, 05:55 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Hey Palting I suggest heavy braking and see if symptoms go away if you haven't done so. Since haven't driven for awhile and with new pads and rotors plus also check maybe when pads and rotors were installed check for gapping if within spec. Sometimes if not in spec it would rub and cause the symptom. If not dr\efinitely get it checked out by dealer : ). Regards. Mike
Old 03-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, guys. Already did some heavy braking and dumped a whole bunch of paper work unto the carpet . It clacked again at the next light .

Oh, well. Made a service appointment for next week.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Just thought I'd give you all a follow-up. After several more days of use, the clacking is all but gone. Like the proverbial toothache that disappears just as you make the dental appointment.

I did take the car for three days of track, followed by an autocross finals just before bedding it down for the winter. Most likely some accumulated brake dust turned into sticky goo or concrete over the storage period, and that is now being dissipated/worn down. I may still take it to the dealers and have them clean it out.

Quick Reply: "clacking" brakes